Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Message Board for Ankylosing Spondylitis and Related Diseases
09/24/18 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Banana
Been on immunesuppressants since 2004 and not willing to stop to get the shots.Anna

Anna, Shingrix is a non-live vaccine and is safe for people on biologics. So you should be able to get it unless you have other issues that prevent it.
https://www.spondylitis.org/About-S...ailable-to-those-on-biologic-medications

My problem is that my insurance doesn't cover Shingrix, and even if it did I would have to be age 60 or over.
4 92 Read More
09/24/18 07:06 PM
I think that's a great question - but probably something to ask your doc. Since people tkaing the medications can only respond from their own experiences and wouldn't know the likelihood of a reaction for others and when that reaction would happen for others.

All the pharma companies for the TNFs also have a patient support line, I believe these are all staffed by nurses. They are listed as financial support, but these programs offer much more than that now. https://www.spondylitis.org/Patient-Assistance-Programs

They should also be able to answer this question.

If none of these options are good for you, I can ask a rheumatologist today. let me know 800-777-8189 ext 231.
3 54 Read More
09/24/18 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by achala
That it make no sense to complain all the time/fear something and just miss the funny bit of life.

This is such an important concept. We can't let fear and misery control our lives.
8 151 Read More
09/23/18 01:45 PM
Great addition Winston. Did they correlate improvement with the several medications they used? Did I miss that?

I found it interesting the high % of people who smoked. Also of interest the quote below:

"It is not clear however, if increased CV risk is caused by inflammatory disease activity or is secondary to traditional risk factors, such as dyslipidemia24 or hypertension6, that are often present in AS."

Although the study authors go on to elaborate clearly the link between inflammation and heart disease is well studied it would be interesting to see a tightly controlled study on the variables they cite as confounding.

Good catch.

6 150 Read More