Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Message Board for Ankylosing Spondylitis and Related Diseases
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Gslsls @ 03/20/17 02:54 PM

Yes I also do not have any type of damage according to X-ray and MRI and have started Humira. My rheumatologist started me on this based on my symptoms alone. Good luck!
Jump to new posts Re: Trouble Breathing by Winston @ 03/20/17 01:57 PM

Not trying to freak you out. It probably isn't your heart. But AS-related heart damage wouldn't have anything to do with clogged coronary arteries. AS-related inflammation typically damages the heart around the aortic valve and aortic root. Mention i
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Winston @ 03/20/17 01:52 PM

Yes, biologics are an option in the U.S. without radiographic damage. I was offered a biologic the first time I met with my rheumatologist, before he even did an MRI. Had no problem getting the biologic approved by my insurance even after the MRI sho
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Spring_hill @ 03/20/17 01:04 PM

Does anyone, without radiographic damage, take biologics? Is that even an option in the US?
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Spring_hill @ 03/20/17 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Though I do suffer bouts of rls and other random stuff, I can handle all of that...for now anyway, but to sleep thru the bane of my existence, the pain that wakes me, now that would be a dream! My only concern is I don't want to
Jump to new posts Re: Trouble Breathing by ronj56 @ 03/20/17 12:53 PM

Thanks All, in 2000, had heart cath; came back clear coronary arteries. That was a long time ago though . But that is exactly what I thought. My practice has been if the heart symptoms are not related to exertion, then I just chalk it up to the AS,
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Spring_hill @ 03/20/17 12:51 PM

Thanks for weighing in. I've never been limber. Half the boys on my high school x country team could stretch further than I. I recently went to a physiotherapist who told me my range of motion was limited for my age, but maybe I'm just genetically bu
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Spring_hill @ 03/20/17 11:20 AM

Ginny, sorry for the length, but with a possible new disease that affects the entire body it's hard to be short. I've stalked this forum quite a bit, in my quest for answers, and have read quite a bit of your advice to others, so thanks for that too!
Jump to new posts Re: Trouble Breathing by Winston @ 03/20/17 11:06 AM

Have your heart checked. That feeling of impending doom can sometimes precede a heart event. Heart issues can also cause shortness of breath.
Jump to new posts Re: Trouble Breathing by SouthernMoss @ 03/20/17 10:07 AM

AS can affect the ribs where they attach to the spine and also where they attach to the sternum (breastbone). If you have inflammation or fusion in these areas, it can affect your ability to expand your ribcage to take a deep breath. Pain meds can c
Jump to new posts Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis by SouthernMoss @ 03/20/17 10:02 AM

It could be referred pain, from the SI joint or from elsewhere.
Jump to new posts Re: am i having a nervous breakdown? by Shippingnews @ 03/20/17 09:45 AM

gr8 the RN gave me wrong medication info which I should have discontinued before the epidural and its tomorrow and I have been taking it all along and they do not even have time to take my calls. bigger a hospital more casual they are about their pat
Jump to new posts Trouble Breathing by ronj56 @ 03/20/17 09:21 AM

Diagnosed with AS about 1994. About 2007 began severe cervical nerve pain. 2013 had not other choice but opioid pain meds. In 2016 began Remicade. Recently have had trouble breathing and a feeling of impending doom. Can AS cause the rib cage to stop
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Winston @ 03/20/17 08:57 AM

Spring_hill: You might try gabapentin (generic available) or pregabalin (brand name only, marketed as Lyrica) to help with pain if you can't tolerate NSAIDs. It's common to develop a fibromyalgia-like syndrome when you are a chronic pain sufferer, an
Jump to new posts Re: Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis by Kris44 @ 03/20/17 08:48 AM

Yes! As a female, I thought maybe it was an ovary. I think the joint where the hip and pelvis connect, as well as the tendons that run through the area to the groin get inflamed and it is really painful and radiates into lower abdomen. I've had it
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Kris44 @ 03/20/17 08:44 AM

My x-rays and MRI showed erosion of the SI joints in my back; no fusion. I was having sharp pains at that time, but MRI didn't show any active inflammation, just signs of old periods of inflammation. My rheumy said tests aren't perfect and offered
Jump to new posts Thinking sacroiliac pain is appendicitis by Sean O @ 03/20/17 07:12 AM

This might sound moronic but has anyone ever had pain that was AS related that they felt more prominently in the lower abdomen than any where else. I have had this disease since the late 1980s and this is new to me. For three weeks I have had a lot o
Jump to new posts Re: Newby looking for some insight by Spring_hill @ 03/20/17 06:11 AM

Thanks I appreciate your thoughts. Did you also have sharp pains? It's the thing I question most. I've read things like "In advanced disease...", but I have no fusion or inflammation. Also, I'm curious about your experience with NSAIDs.
Jump to new posts Re: Otezla AND Enbrel? Yes..... by Ken Delano @ 03/20/17 03:37 AM

Wonder if my Rhuem has figured out a new treatment plan that will work for others. I see her in two weeks. Would not be surprised to hear her say that she is going to do a paper on it.
Jump to new posts Re: New Hip soon......... by Ken Delano @ 03/20/17 03:35 AM

Just the left one for now Ginny. I'll wait and see what happens one I have a good one. And yes, when compared to all of the jaw stuff I think a hip replacement will be a walk in the park!I don't wish that TMJ and LaForte on anyone!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2