Page 1 of 2 1 2
Switching from Enbrel to Humira
#129166 11/19/08 02:43 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I have been on Enbrel for 3.5 years. I had about 2.5 years of great results, but over the last year it's gradually not working as well. My sedrate has been holding steady at 40 (anything under 20 is normal, so that is not that good). My nighttime stiffness is returning, and I have more days where I just don't feel well.

My rheumy gave me a sample of Humira to try instead. Anyone made the switch recently and have any feedback for me? It's one of those auto-injector pens, which I am dreading because I know how much those darn shots sting. He wrote the script for regular needles, but the auto-injector was all he had in the office.

I'm hoping I can get my sed rate back down and feel better more consistently. I also declined on all my measurements (lumbar expansion, chest expansion, head-to-wall).

Fingers crossed that the Humira works as well as the Enbrel once did. I'm a bit sad because I loved the Enbrel while I was on it.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Re: Switching from Enbrel to Humira
Mary Beth #129177 11/19/08 05:34 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
For me they were about the same in effect. Humira stings more going in, but lasts 2 weeks, which is nice. For me it started to allow some new pains to begin in my legs. Then I went into a full-blown flare. I cannot say for sure that this was the fault of the drug, but my condition got much worse after half a year. I finally switched to Remicade.

DXed with AS almost 40 years ago
Mary Beth #129178 11/19/08 05:45 PM
O
First time visitor
First time visitor
O
I'm 28 and was officially diagnosed with AS this past September after 10 years or so of symptoms. I just joined this forum and am doing some research on Humira.

I just finished my second injection of Humira and have already noticed relief. I was told it would take roughly two months of injections before any effects so maybe some of it is psychological or maybe it's because my rheummy gave me a steroid injection in my SI before i left for a trip to Italy. Either way I've noticed a huge decrease in pain while sleeping and waking up in the morning. Other than taking advil a couple times for a bad hangover, I haven't popped any advil for acheness, stiffness, or pain from inflammation.

I chose the auto-injector pen route and they're not too bad. If you don't want to give them to yourself, just ask a friend since it's pretty easy to use. I hope you feel better.

Mary Beth #129181 11/19/08 06:03 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Your question hits home, Mary Beth. I can relate well. Started on Embrel and took it for one year four months. I have severe AS diagnosed in 2006. In January of this year I changed Rheumy's and he changed the TNF blocker to Humira. Currently still on it, shot every 2 weeks.

Embrel never helped me. Gave it more than a good trial test requested by the former Rheumy. Humira began working within a month. It's main benifit is drastically reducing the stiffness. I too take the auto/injector. Just alcohol swab, place, and inject. No sharp needles to deal with after. I really like the auto injectors.

Recently SAA online posted an international research update on AS. The findings showed Humira was the best for actually reducing the progressive disease. Also helps to reduce symptoms. Please see SAA post-

Special Report:
TNF-a Inhibitors
Enbrel, Remicade
and Humira

Good luck Mary. Hope Humira helps you as much as it does me. One thing also I wanted to share with you. My new Rheumy said that one reason Humira is different is that the med has the ability to be accepted into your system as friend. While other TNF blockers enter and look like alliens and foes. Interesting.

Keep us updated, please. TitaniumGirl

Tenacious Titanium Mom
TitaniumGirl #129197 11/19/08 09:05 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Hi Mary Beth,
I switched from Enbrel to Humira last spring and am getting much better results. The Enbrel stopped working for me after about 5 months. (It's been about six months on the Humira and it's still working.) When I started Enbrel it started working almost right away and the Humira took about 3 months to really work. I hope it works for you!!

Marika #129199 11/19/08 09:18 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
Hi Mary Beth
It's great to hear from you again, it's been a while!
I hope you get good results from Humira. It's my "miracle drug"! it works very well for me, hope it does for you too.

All the best

Rach

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson
Rach #129203 11/19/08 10:03 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Been there done that too. I had been on enbrel and it worked well, though never touched my hip pain. I went off my enbrel for hip surgery, 6 months later went back on it but it never worked the same. So I started humira, 2 doses now, though my second dose was a bit late because I had a melanoma removed. The fatigue has lightened and the stiffness is gone and I have to say I think my hip pain is lessening as well.

I need t switch to the syringes though because the pens are a real pain. They hurt far worse then the enbrel ever did but as you said the samples only come in pen form.

I was so reluctant to make the switch because I feared going through my options too quickly (enbrel, humira, remicade) and not having any options left.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

-Chelsea, 40
AS symptomatic since age 12, diagnosed at age 30.

Hip replacement, multiple lumbar surgeries, both shoulders and nearing bi lateral knee replacements.

Simponi, Fentanyl patch. Off oral meds due to GI issues.
Chelbird #129214 11/19/08 11:34 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
Thanks everyone! And nice to see you too, Rach. smile I haven't posted in ages.

The Enbrel was wonderful for me for the longest time. It started working the day I first took it. For awhile there, my sedrate got as low as 9, and it was under 20 for a couple of years with the Enbrel. But about a year ago it shot back up again and it's stayed around 40 ever since.

I too fear blowing through the biologics and having nothing left. I really do NOT want to try Remicade because I like self-injecting better. I suppose new treatments might be on the market soon. While Enbrel was working I rarely took anything else; some occasional Advil and rarely a muscle relaxer. Now, I'm taking Baclofen every day and if I don't take Advil at night I wake up very stiff and sore in the middle of the night.

My rheumy says he has an AS patient who has been on Enbrel for ages, since the clinical trial days, and it still works great. And then other people have it work for awhile and stop. So I guess there is no knowing how any of them will work.

I am kind of dreading that pen tonight, though. shocked

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

Mary Beth #129218 11/20/08 01:30 AM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I just did my first injection and the auto-injector is brutal! Wow does that hurt, and I think I must have jerked a bit from the pain or stopped too soon because I did find a little bit of medication splashed on my leg when I was done. So not the best beginning, but I guess I'll see soon enough how well it's working....

Mary Beth #149708 07/18/09 03:20 PM
M
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I just wanted to update this thread with my results, in case others are switching and curious to know.

Whenever my doctor asked me if I had fatigue, while I was on Enbrel, I always said "no." However, I did think I had gotten a bit lazy over the years.

Then I switched to Humira, and the very next morning I woke up and immediately started thinking of all the things I would like to do. LOL. And no, it was not psycho-somatic because I had similar instant results with Enbrel, on things that can be directly measured like my ability to touch the floor.

Anyway, I started feeling better physically too. For the first month or 6 weeks, the Humira would start wearing off about 2-3 days before injection day (and the same thing happened when I first started Enbrel), but after a few months that stopped and it now lasts clear through to the next injection.

My sed rate came back down; 12 in February and now 10 in June. And injecting every 2 weeks is very nice, especially when we make plans to travel-- I simply plan around my injection dates. I've also had minor improvements in my ROM tests, and I'm back to taking muscle relaxers or Advil only maybe once or twice a week, on average.

So for me, switching worked great once Enbrel stopped working, and now my hope is that they keep coming out with new medications as I develop tolerance to the old ones. Or who knows, perhaps I won't develop tolerance to Humira the way I did with Enbrel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Melissa Velez 

Link Copied to Clipboard