Medication/chemical sensitivity
#215976 08/27/11 05:47 PM
K
KimD592 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
Does anyone else suffer from this problem? I am extremely sensitive to medications. If there is even a miniscule chance of a certain reaction occurring, it'll happen to me. I'm still in the process of being diagnosed, but one of my fears is the medications taken for AS. Seeing as I don't tolerate many medications very well, I'm afraid to take anything other than Motrin. I even hate taking the steroid tapers because of this, although I must be getting used to it because this time around hasn't been quite as bad.

Kim - age 33, married with 3 children
DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, HLA B27+
Meds: Otezla, Naproxen PRN, Prednisone PRN
Re: Medication/chemical sensitivity
KimD592 #216018 08/28/11 02:30 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
Yes. I struggle with side effects, too. I can't take reflux meds because they trigger my migraines, as do narcotics. That really worries me. One of the muscle relaxers made my heart race really badly twice. This puzzled the doc and the pharmacist and so I just had to switch to a different one. Steroids can do a number on me, too. So I understand your fears very well.

Brenda

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, Vit D3: 6000 IU/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea.
poodlegirl #216022 08/28/11 02:57 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I am very small, and so I often get bad side effects. My docs usually remember to start out with child size doses. I remind them often that I should start out with significantly less. Many of the meds are part of families with lots of brothers and sisters, it seems at least in my experience that if you can't tolerate one there are several anothers that is similar to try.
Good luck

Diagnosed: ankylosing spondylitis Feb '10, Crohn's Nov '09, GERD Aug '09, Scleritis May '08, Scoliosis '92
HLA-b27 negative
Surgery: Scoliosis Spinal fusion July '99
Current Meds: Humira, Asacol, Reglan, Dexilant, Tramadol, Maalox, and Xibrom (Bromfenac).
No more sulfasalazine and Iron
outlier #216027 08/28/11 04:32 PM
I
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Yes, I struggle with side effects with many medications, so it's always been a matter of finding the one that helps enough and has tolerable enough side effects. Often, there are even forms of the exact same medication that have coatings or slightly different formulas because of their known side effects.

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol

Moderated by  Melissa Velez 

Link Copied to Clipboard