Spondylitis Association of America
Posted By: BCK Bras....any suggestions? - 11/13/13 01:21 AM
I have inflamation in my rib cage/breast bone. I work 12 hour shifts & by the end of the day I'm ready to scream! I've never worn underwires & don't really want to start! I am on the busty side! Anyone have any recomedations? Brands,styles?
Posted By: JenInCincy Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 11/13/13 01:21 PM
Hi - there have been 1 or 2 very long threads on this topic here in the Women's forum in the past ... in the blue section at the top of the page, click on Search then click Advanced - use a date range of 2 years and only search in this forum on the word bra and you should be able to find it. I think it will have some great info for you.
Posted By: BCK Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 11/13/13 03:29 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: gardengal Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 11/17/13 11:56 AM
I heard about the Genie bra on a thread here - visited their website and read the various reviews - then found it in the checkout aisle at Wal-Mart. They're lightweight, no-wire, removable padding, seem to be pretty true to size (though I'm not horribly well-endowed), reasonable in price. Nice to not have bra straps slipping off my shoulders. A bit hot in warmer weather. One caution, however - they have no "fastener" so you have to wrestle it on over your head. Some days that's really hard for me, and perhaps for you too...
Posted By: BCK Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 11/21/13 10:02 PM
I actually bought a package of the Genie Bra. Well, they're ok for someone not too endowed! But for me, it like wearing a pair of pantyhose on my boobs!;) Not difficult to get on..just no support! And the pads you add...girl,please! Those were like cardboard! At this point I'm thinking Ace Bandages might be the answer! Thanks to all who have replied! My search continues....
Posted By: Banana Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 11/23/13 09:47 PM
Yes, the bra issue totally sucks. If I wear something for 8 hours, I am in agony and I am doing really well. The darn ribs must be permanently painful or something.

I am medium endowed, size 12 clothes. I wear those little under shirts that are nylon and tight to your skin. They stay on shoulder and hold up the ladies good enough for me. They are hot in the summer Unigo has cool bras with cups build in but only go to size 10/12 and they are called extra large.

In the winter, which is easier for me. I wear t-shirt thingy, shirt and jacket which covers my nib issue.

Anna
Posted By: KatieL Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 12/15/13 09:20 AM
I have the same problem. I'm a DD and need the support. I've found a decent Bali wirefree bra that they sell at Target now. I buy it two band sizes bigger and it's not as torturous for me. Although it's the first thing I take off as soon as I am home lol
Posted By: gimpyKat Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 12/20/13 09:15 AM
Lane Bryant or their bra store Cacique
I am busty and this is my favorite place to get bras for years.
They do have non-underwire bras, but I prefer the wires.
They also do bra fitting there. Most women wear bras that are to small for them.
It is possible to figure out your own size:
http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

After getting the right fit, I would suggest maybe switching out the bra type half way through the day, as everything fits a little diffently. I do this with shoes sometimes.
Posted By: Lenka Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 01/15/14 01:04 PM

Playtex 18 Hour Original Comfort StrapĀ® Wirefree Bra
Style: 8267
this bra is no wires, but best lift up bra, good for bigger sizes.I am a tailor and many women, that i recommend this, was very happy. they are cheap. you can buy at justmysize.com or walmart, kmart, kohls.the straps has jell
Posted By: baconbits Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 01/22/14 04:41 AM
Barely There makes a great soft stretchey bra styled like the Genie but more comfortable, good support too. I couldnt' stand to wear a regular bra anymore because of the pain in my ribs. This one is a keeper.

Cindy
Posted By: tropicalisland Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 04/03/14 01:30 PM
This brand has been a lifesaver for me.

http://www.shopcoobie.com

They are inexpensive, comfortable and come in tons of colors.

The original bra does not offer much true support, but the sports bra might work for those who need more support.

If you decide to try one, google "coobie coupon code" first. There are always coupons available.
Posted By: jcram Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 05/01/14 02:56 AM
I like my Wacoal brand, which are crazy expensive. After a recommendation from a friend who is a neurosurgeon told me I should try getting more supportive bras I decided to spend the big buck and go to Nordstrom's to get fitted properly. I had been measured at VS and other department stores throughout my life always measuring 36C. I go to Nordstrom's and she measures and tells me 34DD. I think she is crazy and don't want it so tight on my rib cage, then she brings me a Wacoal bra and I can't even believe how comfortable it is. Now every year I go back to be measured and get the same brand. It has greatly improved my comfort.
Posted By: uplate Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 05/31/15 05:07 PM
I'm a D cup but wear a large C in this style and it fits me perfect. Supportive, molded cups, comfortable, no underwire, they're at Target for about $15

Everyday Stretch Cup Wirefree Bra - White, Style:IC1207GW http://www.target.com.au/p/everyday-stretch-cup-wirefree-bra-white-style-ic12-7gw/55229807

At a pinch maternity bras offer more support than the average wireless, I stitch up the clip so it doesn't come undone.
Posted By: ancient Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 07/10/15 04:12 AM
I can't wear an underwire. Hurts way too much. Sports bras are great if your well endowed I love Rhonda shears bras. I think I got them on qvc maybe hsn? She has different levels. They last a LONG time give good support too. Not too expensive. If you have shoulder issues though you will have a hard time putting them on. However once your wearing them. I find the compression relieves my rib pain. Maybe it's the support too? Everyone is different though. Hope you find something that works for you. I know how miserable a bras can make you feel!!
Good luck!
Posted By: Lyra Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 08/18/15 03:44 PM
I'm a BIG fan of Uniqlo's no-underwire bras. (Note that the Extra Light style has a back clasp but Extra Soft is a pullover, if that's a dealbreaker for you.) I think someone upthread mentioned their camisoles and tanks with built-in bras: those haven't worked well for me, as I'm tall, so things don't hit at the right place, but I can see how they'd be great if you're more standard sized.

I've also had some success with the Gap Favorite Wireless Bra (especially as my breasts have gotten bigger during pregnancy).

American Eagle (Aerie) can be hit or miss, but some of their bralettes (wireless) have worked well for me: reading the online reviews is helpful. My latest success has been with the Aerie Lace Plunge Bralette in XL (right now I'm hovering between a C and a D).
Posted By: Journey0429 Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 03/22/16 01:19 AM
I am still trying to find the perfect bra. I need an underwire for support; the girls need that, as I am a "D" cup. Flip side: underwires hurt on the bad days, wirefree is okay on pain days, but NO SUPPORT. I have a hard time with sport style bras: they are hard to put on when I have limited shoulder movement. My solution so far- several styles for all of my "days". I would love to find a comfortable, supportive, and maybe even pretty bra that doesn't make me want to take it off after half an hour!!
Posted By: nowIknow Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 03/31/16 07:27 PM
Wow. I am not diagnosed but suspect I have this and when I am in one of my relapses my bra hurts me too!!! Was thinking of buying one bigger around for the relapse days. I have to wear an underwire...that's all there is to it.
Posted By: Lenka Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 06/08/16 11:19 AM
Hi. I am a tailor, and my bra cup is D too. This bra is cheap, it wort to try. A lot of women asking me, and later stop by to thank me. Is very lifting. supportive bra with no wires. http://www.justmysize.com/shop/justmysiz...refree-bra-8267
And this is my comfy bra for flare ups http://www.justmysize.com/shop/justmysiz...efree-bra-18367
Posted By: Banana Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 06/27/16 01:55 AM
Not just hurting but it can help your ribs fuse. I wear under stretching shirts, they hold the ladies up. Uniqlo had fabulous built in "shelf" clothes but darn, they are for Japanese ladies and I am a 14 and wear the extra large. The dress is amazing though, and I am so happy in the summer. I just wear shelf bra dresses. They have undershirts with shelf bra in them too, but again only up to size 14.

In the winter, I wear shirts that have a pocket on each breast, to block nipple and don't wear antything.
Posted By: Jessie10 Re: Bras....any suggestions? - 06/27/16 10:36 AM
This underwire is great for me. It also has soft cups. I have tried countless bras that just haven't worked for me. Underwire, sports bras, no wire, etc. I am a 32DD which is a hard to find size to begin with and I have tried the 'sister sizes' to no avail. I know this bra is from VS and some may poo poo the idea but it works amazing for me and I wear it all day most days. Hope it can help someone else too
https://www.victoriassecret.com/victoria...talogueType=OLS
© Spondylitis Association of America - Message Boards & Forums