Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#86736 - 01/31/08 11:23 PM Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
cassilynn Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Indiana
Geeeemmmmmmmeeeeeennnnnniiiiiitleeeeeeee!!! This is crazy. You would think I was making this stuff up as I go along day by day!!

I think I made a small mention of my knees swelling some earlier......well they are HUGE now!! My ankles are also swollen!! y knees are swelled as big around as the top of my thighs.....but my ankles are not that swollen. They are trying to catch-up!

I guess I will elevate them HIGH!! And hope it goes down. Must be the steroid, along with the my pain meds it probably is causing edema because my Opana ER lowers my blood pressure bigtime.......poo poo!! One thing after another!! It is MUCH better than PAIN though!! Thank goodness the breakthrough opana 5mg's are helping a lot already!! I have that peaceful, easy feelin' when the pain subsides!
Anyone get this kind of edema or swelling of the ankles and legs after being on prednisone for a week? Thank you in advance, friends, for your infinite wisdom~!! cool

#86737 - 02/01/08 02:23 AM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
cassilynn Offline
Registered Visitor

Okay. Now I am kind of freaking out. This is super bizarre. My ankles and knees are really swollen. I mean the joints themselves are HUGE. I was thinking it was edema from the prednisone,kind of my whole leg and foot up to the knee. I was afraid it may go away before morning when I could show dad or mom, since they are a nurse and a doc, I wanted to show them and ask if that wa the type of water retention caused by prednisone. In case it went away i took pictures of the knees and the ankles, feet....
Now this is where it gets bizarre, I looked at the pics on the computer just now, and it does not look like the "lower legs and feet retaining water" as I expected it to! All I can see are horribly swollen ankles, 2of them. And hugely swollen knee joints, 2 of them as well. Not swollen feet or toes...not swollen calves really.....it looks in the picture like someone with RA ankles and knees swollen in medical picture. First, My neck, shoulders, hips, now both SI joints on Thursday, and now 2 swollen hips joints, 2 very swollen knee joints and 2 very large swollen ankle joints this morning.........I can hardly type this as it is hitting me again. This is the most bizarre 1 year and 1 week medically in my life and I am freaking out at it. I could be in one of those text books right now for swollen joints, and they look just as ugly and deformed as they do in the medical pics,.. this is so bizarre that this is playing out this way. And right before our eyes. Did anyone ekse ever have their body turn agauinst them like this before, all at once????? WOW

eek frown What the he11 is wrong with me??????

IS THIS AS??? OR SOMETHING ELSE???? HELP!

#86738 - 02/01/08 06:19 AM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
Charrlygrl1 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Western Mass
Well, I am no pro and certainly can't speak to swelling joints and mine never swell ('cept one ankle, once).

My body did turn against me, yes. Prior to diagnosis when they first mentioned spondy, I came here and wondered what the heck a flare was, since my symptoms never waned-they were full force all of the time. Eventually, once treatment got things under control things finally calmed down.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this and I wish you could get in to see a GOOD rheumy right NOW.

I wish there were something I could do for you,

Char

#86739 - 02/01/08 06:47 AM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
SuzzwithPA Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Burb of Philly
Cassi...
My knees are so swollen - like huge cotton candy puffs.
I have PsA and RA.
I have had many aspirations of the knees... frown
Now with my knees, it's called chronic synovitis.
At the height of the attacks from RA and PsA, my knees and ankles and lower legs would swell.
You have to get in to see your Rheumatologist because this sure sounds like "active disease" going on, and you need to get the inflammation checked in blood work and perhaps get on a DMARD to hold back the progression of the diseases.
Also it could be Baker's Cysts in the back of the knees that burst. That happened to me at the height of all this as well, and it causes all that swelling as well.
It sounds like more than possible AS and OA, Cassi.
I doubt prednisone is causing this.
Keep us posted and call that Rheum.!!
(((Hugs)))
Susan
xoxo

#86740 - 02/01/08 07:17 AM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
Tacitus Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Reno/San Fernando LU PI
Aw, Cassi:

Although I sort of felt this was coming, I did not want to say it--fear of a warning turning out to be a jinx!

Quote:
What the he11 is wrong with me??????
What I am about to tell you about is what was wrong with me, so it may not apply, but it sounds exactly the same:

I had colitis. Well, I did not really know it, directly, but I had septic hip/toxic megacolon from this and the mechanism is quite simple, but it made my life really complex, since I could not walk, and was pinned to the floor like an insect not properly 'treated' by the entomologist, so I was writhing in agony around my knee as a pivot.

Three days.

When the lymph flows from the hip (VERY big joint), it is not so obvious, but when it reaches the knee (big joint), it becomes obvious and debilitating, and then it can fall to the ankles (small joints) and somehow cause them to hurt, also. This is a waste product that will cause local inflammation and some damage, wherever it ends up.

It was not supposed to flow down to the knee in the first place, but instead it was supposed to be eliminated through the colon. Problem is, there was no room at the inn--when the colon gets that inflamed, it is producing its own waste lymph, and unable to process any more, but your body does not know that, so keeps sending lymph to it, where it is just dumped into the ducts where gravity takes over.

First thing I did was stop eating, and drank plenty of distilled water.

Then I took Glyco-Thymoline drops in some of the water, but also took this internally not via oral route. I later (after first 3 days) took Atomidine via oral, by drops (5-6 to start, up to 10 after 3 days), but alternated days with the first product. In desperation, I later added sulfasalazine to the 'retention' water (non-oral).

Five fasting days, followed by one vegetable juices day, then a day of eggs, cooked vegetables (non-starchy of course), and one day of raw apples followed by the EVolive oil (about one ounce then)--I was in a BIG HURRY to get over this, since I had to be at a wedding in about a week.

This stuff worked, and I was even able to do a day hike of about six miles (really rough terrain around Lake Tahoe) after the nuptials. I still had sharp pains in my knees, but this lasted for almost a year whenever I exerted them...well, even walking a few hundred yards.

There are physicians willing to drain the knees with vacuum needles, but they backfill with steroids or other stuff, so I did not want to have that done.

FRIED FOODS and starches have cost me too much, so I never eat that stuff anymore, but that episode was caused by 1)experimenting with "natural antibiotics" (instead of the real thing) 2)while eating too much soft cheese (Klebsiella also ferments lactose). I'm a cheese-a-holic!

Of course, I hope you don't have what I had and also that you get over it even faster than I did,

John
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

#86741 - 02/02/08 10:47 AM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
cassilynn Offline
Registered Visitor

Thank you caring friends for the posts!!! You all mean everything to me!

I went to bed last eve at 7 and kept my legs up high for hours, then got up at 12 noon, and the swelling is most all gone!! I am feeling a lot better, bet I lost 10 pounds overnight of pure water! So, we'll see how today goes......luv to you all!!! Thank you!

#86742 - 02/03/08 08:57 PM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
flip Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: St. Paul MN
Cassi-sorry to hear you going thru all that pain. Just a lot of flashbacks for me ya know?! If you read the definition of predinsone, this med does help cause swelling. Pred, I believe, is just a pill form of cortozone, right? When I last took pred, my throat and face swelled up. This is one med I defintely try to avoid.

#86743 - 02/03/08 09:09 PM Re: Prednisone: Swollen ankles and knees! ?
cassilynn Offline
Registered Visitor

Yes, Flip I know it is a bad one, but I am over the worst of the side-effects now and it is really helping me!! I am all better and walking normally again, with almost no pain! I am very glad it is turning out to be worth it all! Thanks for the post, and I hope you are well this Sunday eve!

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved