03/05/06 08:04 PM
03/05/06 08:04 PM
santa monica
T
trevswife Offline OP
trevswife  Offline OP
T

santa monica
Hi! My husband is 41 and has a "tentative" diagnosis of AS. He has been suffering with various degrees of pain since his early 20s but the last year was marked by 2 of the most debilitating episodes. Most of his pain is in the SI and ribcage. He had an XRAY 4 years ago which showed "pre-arthritic" changes in the SI but his most recent xray and bone scan just showed "normal" wear?!. HLA-B27 was positive and his ESR was through the roof and he also has had a fever. His mother was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia years ago and she has a male first cousin who has AS. My husband can not tolerate NSAIDS as he gets terrible GI upset after a few days although they do help with pain relief. I want to find a new rheumatologist for a second opinion. This one is reluctant to diagnose AS if the xray is negative and wants to wait another month, repeat the ESR before trying other meds. This is NOT acceptable as my husband waits and suffers. Can anyone offer advice on other pain relief therapies and a list of good rheumatologists in the LosAngeles area? Thanx for all your help.

Re: Frustrated and discouraged #100474
03/06/06 04:53 PM
03/06/06 04:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Trevswife,

As far as doctor recommendations, we do have a patient-to-patient recommended rheumatologist directory available in the Member Area:

Rheumatologist Directory

If you are not yet an SAA Member, you can also request one in the mail free of charge by calling us toll free at: 1-800-777-8189

For reference, here is the AS Medications section:

AS medications

And the sections on alternative treatments and exercise:

Alternative

Exercise

Hope this info helps.

Best,

Chris

Re: Frustrated and discouraged #100475
03/07/06 05:11 PM
03/07/06 05:11 PM
Atlanta, Ga
M
mtsargent Offline
Registered Visitor
mtsargent  Offline
Registered Visitor
M

Atlanta, Ga
Until your husband can get a dx and help from something like EMBREL, there is a very new anti-inflamatory that I have been taking called LIMBREL http://www.limbrel.com/ This supposedly is made from "natural" sources and does not cause problems with the GI system. I have never been able to tolerate NSAIDs but don't seem to be bothered with this. It may be worth a try.
mike

Re: Frustrated and discouraged #100476
03/16/06 03:40 PM
03/16/06 03:40 PM
Western Mass
C
Charrlygrl1 Offline
Registered Visitor
Charrlygrl1  Offline
Registered Visitor
C

Western Mass
Trevswife,

If it were me, I would ask for an MRI.

MRIs can show damage or erosions much earlier than xrays can. This is how I was finally diagnosed...the xrays showed nothing with me, but the MRIs did.

Good luck to you,
Charlene

Re: Frustrated and discouraged #100477
04/05/06 09:20 PM
04/05/06 09:20 PM
USA
H
Hase Offline
Hase  Offline
H

USA
I have had good results with low impact exercise and stretching. When I have really bad bouts get in the hot tub or sauna. It helps a lot. The NSAIDs caused me a good deal of GI discomfort. I try to avoid them.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan