K
Ken Delano Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Ken Delano  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
K

Minnesota
Rich,

I was granted a Disability Retirement from the Federal Government back in April. As per the OPM guide lines I applied to SSA for disability in January, 2004. I received a letter from them stating that I filed a claim. I have not been contacted or received anything from them since last February when they sent the letter stating that I had a claim pending.

Is this a normal time frame ? Seems as if I should have been contacted by now.

AS/PsA DX in 1988

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44
Re: SSA process #100835
01/10/06 06:18 PM
01/10/06 06:18 PM
My office is in Chicago, howev...
R
Rich Feingold Offline
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Rich Feingold  Offline
Registered Visitor
R

Hi, Ken. Sorry for the delay in responding. No...it seems like too long to wait for an initial decision. I would contact them right away to check status.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.
Re: SSA process #100836
01/27/06 04:07 PM
01/27/06 04:07 PM
Minnesota
K
Ken Delano Offline OP
Registered Visitor
Ken Delano  Offline OP
Registered Visitor
K

Minnesota
**************UPDATE*********************

Although I have a letter from the SSA, dated February 5, 2005, stating that I have a claim filed but they are still working on it the SSA claims they have no record of me filing a claim!

AS/PsA DX in 1988

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44
Re: SSA process #100837
02/07/06 11:16 PM
02/07/06 11:16 PM
Lubbock, Texas
J
jennyintexas Offline
Registered Visitor
jennyintexas  Offline
Registered Visitor
J

Lubbock, Texas
Sounds about right. I got a letter last week saying my benefits are coming to an end. The deal is they had me listed as having worked as a receptionist. I went to school and was trained as a surgical tech, lots of lifting of heavy equipment, no breaks, 20 minute lunches, and the moving of dead weight over 100 lbs, sleeping patients, and also standing from 6 am till.....???. Taking call is mandatory and I could AND have worked 36 hours straight! All these things were described previously on paper for them. I think they intentionally did that just to see if I'd give up my benefits. But then again I may be paranoid.

So, I filed an appeal today and will be hiring an attorney.

I hope you hear soon. I don't know if it would help, but I'd insist on being put at the front of the line. A year is a ridiculous amount of time!

Best of luck,

jenny

No I am not a doctor, I only play one on the internet. Seriously, I'm only as reliable as your next door neighbor. My views are not necessarily the views of SAA or its' members.
Re: SSA process #100838
03/08/06 06:07 AM
03/08/06 06:07 AM
R
Rich Feingold Offline
Rich Feingold  Offline
Registered Visitor
R

Your story is familiar, Ken. This is why I send appeal documents to SSA by some sort of secure, traceable means, e.g., by FedEx or certified mail. You may need to visit your local office. I do wish you the best of luck. Perhaps consider getting help with your claim.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan