01/25/06 01:18 AM
01/25/06 01:18 AM
Il
S
Steve Crabtree Offline OP
Steve Crabtree  Offline OP
S
Il
I have a younger brother that has AS he can't work, has had a couple of back fractures, can't hardly walk most days. I feel so terrible about his condition and feel hopeless to help him out... he has been turned down for social security several times, and I just want to help him out somehow, any information on getting him some financial help. I don't have enough money to help him out and he has a house that he is about to loose and it just kills me to see him all bent-over and unable to walk.

Re: Help my brother! #100842
02/18/06 06:51 AM
02/18/06 06:51 AM
My office is in Chicago, howev...
R
Rich Feingold Offline
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Rich Feingold  Offline
Registered Visitor
R
Hello, Steve, and everyone else. I recently moved back into my own law and so I've been somewhat absent from the board, however, I will work to catch up with your questions.

Steve - it sounds like your brother needs help with his claim. I recommend that he speak with an attorney who concentrates in these matters. If you need assistance with finding resources to help, please let me know.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.
Re: Help my brother! #100843
02/23/06 06:03 AM
02/23/06 06:03 AM
Eagle River, WI
K
Kristen Offline
Kristen  Offline
K
Eagle River, WI
Steve, I am in the same boat as your brother. It think I finally have it figured out though. No matter what your medical records say, it all boils down to an M.D. stating you are unemployable due to your medical condition. My several denials were based on volumns of VA records. Of course, they would NEVER say I was unemployable since my condition is service connected. THAT would make them have to give me 100% disability. I did not have money to go outside the VA but finally found a way, through a local indigent program, to see a non-VA doctor. After just one visit he KNEW and acknowledged that I would probably never be able to sustain myself with any sort of paying work. So...have your brother speak frankly with his M.D. Tell him about his dilema and ask if he would write a "To Whom It May Concern" letter about his medical opinion on your brother's employability. Check with Mr. Feinstein to see if he agrees. An atty. will be helpful and will handle much that drains our already depleted energy. Remember though, they will get 30% of any back pay. Worth it to me!

Kristen
Former USN & USNR HMC
Re: Help my brother! #100844
03/08/06 06:18 AM
03/08/06 06:18 AM
R
Rich Feingold Offline
Rich Feingold  Offline
Registered Visitor
R
An attorney can help in knowing what has to be proven in any particular claim, to establish disability. 25% of past due benefits are withheld for attorney fees, not 30%, up to $5,300, generally.

Rich

Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan