Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101877 - 05/02/06 11:39 AM VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Virginia
I recently pinged the VA to get their position on VASRD policy/procedures for rating Ankylosing Spondylitis as well as limitation of motion conditions. This is a good response. However, I am working with them to get additional specificity to eliminate remaining ambiguities in the policy/ process. The actual letter I sent them is below as well.

Mike

Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Regional Office
210 Franklin Rd., SW
Roanoke, VA 24011

April 25th, 2006

Dear LTC Parker,

This is in response to your letter to Secretary of Veterans Affairs, R. James Nicholson concerning disability ratings. Your letter was referred to the Department of Veterans Affairs Roanoke Regional Office because this office has jurisdiction of your address.

Beginning in 2003, the VA evaluates limitation of motion of the spine due to ankylosing spondylitis under diagnostic code 5240 in the Schedule for Rating Disabilities. However, where there is additional impairment of health due to the active disease process, VA will rate this condition under the diagnostic code that is most advantageous to the veteran. VA will also take into account limitation of a veteran's joint function caused by pain (including pain on repeated use), fatigue, weakness, and lack of endurance or coordination. X-ray evidence is not required for us to apply the Deluca criteria.

Questions about how the Department of Defense interprets VA's Schedule of Rating Disabilities would have to be addressed to the Department of Defense.

For Further Information of Assistance

If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the VA Regional Office located at the address shown above, telephone toll-free 1-800-827-1000, or contact us via https://iris.va.gov. A representative will be happy to assist you.

JOHN W. SMITH

Director.

The Honorable R. James Nicholson
Secretary of the Department of Veterans’Affairs
810 Vermont Street, NW
Washington, DC 20420

Dear Secretary Nicholson,

For the past few months, I have been trying to get specific answers to specific questions from your department without success. The questions deal with how to properly rate the inflammatory arthritic condition, Ankylosing Spondylitis, per the Veterans’Administrations Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD). These questions are relevant to both VA and military disability ratings. My specific questions are:

Is Ankylosing Spondylitis still evaluated under criteria for diagnostic code 5002 and applicable residual codes like all the other forms of inflammatory, autoimmune arthritis (e.g. reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, seropositive rheumatoid arthritis)?

Given the Deluca criteria for limitation of motion (LOM) ratings, is it appropriate to deny a LOM rating because it is not based on X-Ray evidence of “mechanical limitation”? Does the VASRD currently allow LOM ratings when the motion is limited by pain or other causes?

Prior to 2003, there was universal agreement that Ankylosing Spondylitis should be rated under VASRD code 5002 for the active disease process and well as applicable codes for any chronic residuals. Per the VASRD, the ratings for the active disease process and the chronic residuals are not to be combined; rather the higher rating is applied. In 2003, the VA enacted revised VASRD criteria for evaluating residual effects due to diseases and injures of the spine. The new criterion includes rating code 5240, Ankylosing Spondylitis. The Department of Defense has interpreted this change to mean that the VASRD no longer requires them to rate Ankylosing Spondylitis under the active disease process (5002) criteria as well. The effect of this interpretation has had a devastating affect on service members found unfit for further military service due to this condition. Many service members with this disease have been denied medical retirement or have had existing medical retirements terminated because this interpretation of the VASRD lowers their DoD assigned disability ratings.

While it makes no sense that Anklylosing Spondylitis would be singled out by the VA as the only inflammatory arthritic condition no longer rated under the criteria for active disease process, the military has held steadfast to their “new” interpretation of the VASRD. My research from VA sources has reinforced, rather than eliminated, the requirement to continue rating Ankylosing Spondylitis under the 5002 criteria. A summary of this research is enclosed for your review.

I respectfully request that your department clear up this issue as soon as possible to ensure our current service members and veterans with this condition are properly adjudicated for disability benefits from both the Veterans’ Administration and the Department of Defense. Please feel free to have your staff contact me if further information or background material is required.

Enclosure as stated

Sincerely,

Michael A. Parker
Lieutenant Colonel
United States Army

cc:
Senator Larry E, Craig, Chairman, United States Senate Committee on Veterans’Affairs.

Senator Lindsey O. Graham, Chairman, Personnel Subcommittee, United States Senate Committee on Armed Services.

Enclosure

Research Findings on VASRD Ratings of Ankylosing Spondylitis

a. There are numerous VA Board and Court of Appeal rulings citing "Ankylosing Spondylitis is a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis" and many rulings rebuke raters that failed to use 5002 criteria for active Ankylosing Spondylitis. http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html, http://webisys.vetapp.gov/isysmenu.html.

b. The VASRD states 5240 criteria is for residuals: "For rating codes 5235-5243...With or without symptoms such as pain, stiffness or aching in the area of the spine affected by residuals of injury or disease." The VA's Federal Register publication explaining the new disease/injury of the spine criteria: "The rating formula would be used when any of these conditions results in symptoms such as pain (with or without radiation) stiffness or aching of the spine due to residuals of injury or disease." (Federal Register, Sep 4th, 2002,Volume 68, number 28, pages 6997-7035)

c. While the VA was updating the spinal residual criteria described in paragraph b, they also released proposed criteria in the Federal Register for rating Ankylosing Spondylitis. "We propose to retitle diagnostic code 5009 as "other types of noninfectious arthritis (including ankylosing spondylitis, Reiter’s syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, arthritis associated with inflammatory bowel disease, and other seronegative types of arthritis)”” and, “We propose to continue evaluating other types of noninfectious arthritis under the same criteria and range of evaluation as rheumatoid arthritis....”. (Federal Register Feb 11th, 2003, Volume 68, Number 28, pages 6997-7035).

d. The VA Adjudication Procedures Manual (M-21) calls Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Spine: “Rheumatoid Arthritis of the spine, also diagnosed as rheumatoid spondylitis, ankylosing spondylitis, or Marie-Stumprell disease..."
The manual goes on to list disability factors of the active disease process to be considered in the rating process. The manual also specifically addresses residuals: “Two diagnostic codes may be used to identify the source of a disability or a residual condition. For example, ankylosing of the spine from rheumatoid arthritis would be rated as 5002-5240.” (Note: The 5002 criteria was written in 1963 a decade before the ankylosing spondylitis became the favored term for the disease.) The VA did an extensive update to it's M-21 manual and released these changes under a manual called M-21MR in December 2005. This manual continues to list Ankylosing Spondylitis under the chapter for rheumatoid arthritis calling it rheumatoid arthritis of the spine, AKA rhuematoid ankylosis, ankylosing spondylits, and Marie-Stumprell disease.

e. The VASRD, paragraph 4.27 now includes the following passage, using ankylosing spondylitis rating codes in the example:

"In the selection of code numbers, injuries will generally be represented by the number assigned to the residual condition on the basis of which the rating is determined. With diseases, preference is to be given to the number assigned to the disease itself; if the rating is determined on the basis of residual conditions, the number appropriate to the residual condition will be added, preceded by a hyphen. Thus, rheumatoid (atrophic) arthritis rated as ankylosis of the lumbar spine should be coded “5002–5240.” In this way, the exact source of each rating can be easily identified."

The VA's rationale for the change above was published in the Federal Register in December 2005. The rational stated that this was not a rule change but rather a housekeeping change since the paragraph previously stated, "ankylosis of the lumbar spine should be coded “5002–5287." 5287 was the previous residual code for ankylosis of the spine. (Federal Register: December 20, 2005, Volume 70, Number 243 - Rules and Regulations, Page 75398-75399)

f. A 2005 Board of Veteran Appeals case involving Ankylosing Spondylitis demonstrates that 5002 criteria is still applicable for AS even after the 2003 changes:

"Conclusion of LAW:

The criteria for a rating in excess of 40 percent for ankylosing spondylitis (formerly characterized as spondylolysis with spondylolisthesis of L5, S1) have not been met. 38 U.S.C.A. § 1155 (West 2002);

38 C.F.R. § 4.71a, Diagnostic Codes 5002, 5292, 5293, 5295 (as in effect prior to September 23, 2002);

38 C.F.R. § 4.71a, Diagnostic Code 5293 (as in effect from September 23, 2002 through September 25, 2003);

38 C.F.R. § 4.71a, Diagnostic Codes 5002, 5240, and 5243 (effective from September 26, 2003). "

Citation Nr: 0518317 Decision Date: 07/05/05 Archive Date: 07/14/05

#101878 - 05/12/06 03:32 PM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Montana
Can I copy this and send it to my service officer?

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.

#101879 - 05/12/06 03:54 PM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor

JAY, send me an email at mmparker@aol.com.

#101880 - 05/12/06 04:03 PM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor

will do

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.

#101881 - 05/12/06 04:08 PM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor

sent

#101882 - 05/12/06 09:19 PM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor

Mike
I e-mailed you my number 3 times after supper Friday night. It got kicked back all 3 times.

I'll try sending it in a PM through the message board.

#101883 - 03/26/07 08:17 AM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
bonefish77 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: DC area
Thanks for the post

#101884 - 03/26/07 10:08 AM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy
LuvinGod3fold Offline
Registered Visitor

My hearing b4 the traveling BVA is suppose to be scheduled for this year and I will be sure to have a copy of this as well.

According to 38 USC 1152 Part 4 4.66 Sacroiliac joints, my claim should have been favorably adjudicated without a hearing a long time ago. I am beginning to think that for veteran's such as myself, none of this means anything if you didn't retire or were just recently separated. Even though my NSO is more on the ball today, I have done oall the leg work. It almost seems like a lot too late. I hope I can be some sort of blessing to women after all of this.

Thanks for all you do, LTC Parker. In the scheme of things, I sincerely hope it helps me to win my appeal. As a woman, the fight has been a long one and I'm beginning to get tired.

Best regards,
Cynthia

#172618 - 04/20/10 05:50 AM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy [Re: mmparker]
MYAK Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ohio
Mr. Parker,

Very interesting, I was recently diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and have a claim in with the VA. I am very curious how they will rate my claim.

Mike

#172875 - 04/22/10 10:20 AM Re: VA Ankylosing Spondylitis Rating Policy [Re: MYAK]
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor

MYAK,

My discussion with the VA went on for about four years. In the February 2009 Conference Call (A VA News Letter to the field) the VA clairified properly AS rating procedures. It states:

Evaluating claims for ankylosing spondylitis

Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) was assigned a specific Diagnostic Code (DC) of 5240 with the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities change for conditions of the spine in September 2003. C&P Service has received multiple inquiries from veterans’ advocates, indicating that AS is being improperly evaluated in light of this change. DC 5240 falls under the General Rating Formula for Diseases and Injuries of the Spine. Raters must be cognizant that AS, in addition to causing limitation of motion of the spine or other symptoms, may be an active disease process. If the AS is manifested as an active disease process, consideration must be given to evaluating it under the provisions of DC 5009, as an arthritic process. DC 5009, according to the schedule, is to be evaluated under the criteria for rheumatoid arthritis, DC 5002. AS, when an active process, may affect other joints or body systems. Such other residuals should be identified and properly adjudicated.

Therefore, when evaluating AS, the RVSR must determine, based on the evidence in file, if the AS is an active process, and if so, properly evaluate it under DC 5009 (5002). If the AS is quiescent, it would be evaluated under 5240 based on the chronic residuals affecting the spine as well as any other joints or body systems under the appropriate diagnostic code.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved