Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#102157 - 11/19/06 04:18 AM HLB-27 IS IT A Disability and how do I apply for it?
HLB-27 GENE Offline

Loc: VA
I am a service member who is getting discharged this month for medical standards. My question is with be said to be a HLB-27 canidate do this entitle me to a disablility and how? Where and who do I talk to to process the necessary paper work to get it while I'm still active. Also is there any link of this contributing to a wavier for fitness do to weight loss or gain. I'm searching for many answers that would help my career while I'm still active and if it can contribute to me getting a wavier of some sort to maybe continue my career with the armed forces.

#102158 - 11/19/06 04:29 AM Re: HLB-27 IS IT A Disability and how do I apply for it?
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Virginia
Gene,

What are the circumstances of your medical discharge? HLA-B27 positivity is not a disease nor a disability. Rather, it just makes you more likely to develop certain forms of seronegative arthritis. Do you have any form of these diseases now?

Mike

#102159 - 11/19/06 04:52 AM Re: HLB-27 IS IT A Disability and how do I apply for it?
HLB-27 GENE Offline

No, other than I have a reoccuring eye problem that they say might be the effects of it. Also I have tremedous joint pains when running. As for as my eye I ways sent to a rhuthmilogist(I guess that's how they spell it), when this problem occured and they didn't give me anytype of definative answer of way and when my eyes become so sensitive to light. They just said it might be link to HLB-27. I STILL DON'T GET IT!!

#102160 - 11/19/06 04:53 AM Re: HLB-27 IS IT A Disability and how do I apply for it?
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Gene,

To answer your question in the Social Security thread. No. Just having the HLA-B27 genitic marker does not mean you are going to get any type of disability.

In order to give you help we really need to know more than just the fact that you have a positive test for the HLA-B27 marker.

Ankylosing Spondylitis/Psoriatic Arthritis/IBS
COPD (Asthma)/Diabetes

#102161 - 11/19/06 05:11 AM Re: HLB-27 IS IT A Disability and how do I apply for it?
HLB-27 GENE Offline

Everyone,

Well I have a series of things happening and I was wondering does HLB-27 affect wieght loss or gain do to the riguorus strains and pressures you put on your body to loss wieght.

I myself hurt doing Physical exercise but I not always said something about it because I do love my job I the military. I've never failed a physical readiness test on the physical portion. But the strain on my joints I get from continuing exercise kills me. You said and the doctors said that it may cause a type of arthirithis of some sort and I've been told I may have this under my knee caps.

That's way I was wondering is this a type of diability that done developed and being a candidate and having HLB-27 affects your blood pressure also. I excerise to keep these things in check but it's still getting me. I'm being processed out of the military because I can't keep my wieght steady because it hurts to keep a rigorous excercise routine in order to do so. Is anything related to another or not. I guess that's my question. I'm an active individual but my joints hurt.

#102162 - 11/19/06 01:09 PM Re: HLB-27 IS IT A Disability and how do I apply for it?
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Gene,

Let's see if I am following you.

You have an as of yet un-named medical condition.

This condition prevents you from participating in PT.

You have gained weight due to the fact that you can not exercize.

Your command is aware of the medical condition, but is proceeding with the steps to chapter you out because you have gained (too much) weight.

How long have you been in (what branch too)? How long have you been complaining of the sysmptoms, and what Dr's have you seen so far?

I suggest that you request to see the Rhuematologist ASAP. Explain to him that you beleive you have AS or one of the related diseses. The joint pain, eye inflamation (Maybe Iritis) and the fact that you have the HLA-B27 marker points towards AS. It can take years to get a DX for this disease. It is extremely important that they figure out what you have prior to be discharged for any other reason!
Sending you to the Rhuem for the eye tells me that at least on DR was thinking AS...

Ankylosing Spondylitis/Psoriatic Arthritis/IBS
COPD (Asthma)/Diabetes

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved