Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#87183 - 02/07/08 09:20 AM Gluten Free Diet
Kridah Offline

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Two months ago I embarked on a gluten free diet to help with fatigue, anemia, bloating and skin issues. Within three days I felt huge, incredible, unbelievable results with my AS. My back even became "poppy." After one month, I "fell off the Gluten Free Wagon," (celebrated my birthday with pizza and beer)and ended up flat on my back for a week, and moving gingerly to say the least for about 10 days. I have been g.f. since, and again, no symptoms. I've often heard of the low/no carb diet helping, but WOW- not like this! Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

#87184 - 02/07/08 10:04 AM Re: Gluten Free Diet
richedie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wayne, PA
So maybe you have celiac disease? I was thikning of avoiding gluten to see what happens. I also read a site to avoid gluten, soy, dairy and corn. Depnds on your sensitivity. So, have you tried the no starch? It is hard to avoid!!!!!!!!!! How?

#87185 - 02/07/08 11:28 AM Re: Gluten Free Diet
Kridah Offline

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Well, actually, it all began with the SouthBeach diet induction (pre Thanksgiving/CHristmas), which essentially is no starches or sugars- My body seemed to love that, but after adding some grains/fruits back in and still avoiding wheat/gluten, I'm still going strong!

My son is highly sensitive to foods (dairy, soy, eggs and fructose), and we'd been to a naturopath for him who took my history, looked me square in the eye and said, "Get off gluten. I wouldn't say you are celiac, but get off gluten and see what it does."

I say give it two weeks to a month- I laugh at those who say, "diets are a myth. Don't try them. Stick to meds." What harm can a basic elimination do? If you find something that combats inflammation naturally, and it means reducing side-effects of medication, why wouldn't you try it?

Two hints- stick to Mexican food and anything with corn tortillas, etc., and asian food based on rice (vietnamese pho, ex), etc. Most stores have decent gluten free alternatives-

also... a ton of other benefits for me, no more dry skin or eyes, weight loss, tons of energy, never hungry, quiet, happy stomach, and again, a "snappy back." My ribs are completely happy as well.

#87186 - 02/08/08 10:15 AM Re: Gluten Free Diet
Britefutr Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: St Louis
Kridah, I'm so happy for you! it is great to find something besides drugs that work. I did do the diet for AS, also did Adkins and still do South Beach. I didn't get relief from the diets. overall I felt better, but it didn't help my AS.

So I'm one of the diet neutral folks on this board. I'm all for anyone trying it. I just don't like it when some of our regular posters tout it as a cure for everyone.

Keep up the good work! I lost 15 lbs and have kept it off. My husband lost 26! gotta love that.

#87187 - 02/08/08 01:29 PM Re: Gluten Free Diet
richedie Offline
Registered Visitor

Kridah, I know what you mean...what do you or anyone have to lose by trying an elimination diet? The method I took was brutal and I fell off the wagon. It was an elimination diet of only brown rice, certain fruits and veggies.....and I always felt hungy and not satisfied...but I do remember having much less pain! I fell off the wagon one day when I felt like my metabalism had dropped really low due to the huge drop in food fro me from normal and I was getting chills, shakes, etc. That day, I ate pizza...oatmeal....you name it. I have just been eating what I consider healthy...but no elimination.

I thikn if I try it again, I will rather than start bare bones, I'll eliminate certain foods and see if I have a reaction.

Most doctors say a true elimination diet is best, where you start with almost nothing to see if symtoms clear at all..then add foods.

I figure I would still be doing a good thing if I could eliminate a handful of things that are known problems like gluten, corn, soy, dairy, etc.

Another thing that was suggested to me is to try one of the few labs in the country that do the delayed onset allergy and food intolerance testing. Sage medical Laboratories is one of those labs and I am just checking to see if my insurance will cover it...

maybe I'll start this weekend by stopping gluten and soy.

Do you avoid any possible contamination like oats, etc? Gluten can really be hidden!

#87188 - 02/08/08 01:30 PM Re: Gluten Free Diet
richedie Offline
Registered Visitor

Kridah, I know what you mean...what do you or anyone have to lose by trying an elimination diet? The method I took was brutal and I fell off the wagon. It was an elimination diet of only brown rice, certain fruits and veggies.....and I always felt hungy and not satisfied...but I do remember having much less pain! I fell off the wagon one day when I felt like my metabalism had dropped really low due to the huge drop in food fro me from normal and I was getting chills, shakes, etc. That day, I ate pizza...oatmeal....you name it. I have just been eating what I consider healthy...but no elimination.

I think if I try it again, I will rather than start bare bones, I'll eliminate certain foods and see if I have a reaction.

Most doctors say a true elimination diet is best, where you start with almost nothing to see if symtoms clear at all..then add foods.

I figure I would still be doing a good thing if I could eliminate a handful of things that are known problems like gluten, corn, soy, dairy, etc.

Another thing that was suggested to me is to try one of the few labs in the country that do the delayed onset allergy and food intolerance testing. Sage medical Laboratories is one of those labs and I am just checking to see if my insurance will cover it...

maybe I'll start this weekend by stopping gluten and soy.

Do you avoid any possible contamination like oats, etc? Gluten can really be hidden!
How did you know which food your son was sensitive to??? Just trial and error?

#87189 - 02/09/08 01:17 AM Re: Gluten Free Diet
cassilynn Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Indiana
My mom is celiac recently diagnosed and she thinks all my arthritis and stuff could be gluten related.......that just does not sound true to me, but i am staarting to wonder if diet change may help me.....?

I am going to have a celiac panel drawn, just have to figure out what lab I have to use for insurance.the tests can be very $$....

everyone please keep posted on what is and is not helping what symptoms? please?

confused

cool

#106364 - 03/21/08 03:38 PM Re: Gluten Free Diet [Re: cassilynn]
richedie Offline
Registered Visitor

I have MGUS and was told gluten could be related.

#106405 - 03/22/08 01:30 PM Re: Gluten Free Diet [Re: richedie]
suewatters1 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Canada
Richdie I go on a forum for people with CIDP an GBS and the variation of these disease and there is a topic somebody started about MGUS

Here is the start of the thread

http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1883&page=3

Sue

#106408 - 03/22/08 02:45 PM Re: Gluten Free Diet [Re: suewatters1]
zoe
Unregistered

i have celiac too, but it doesn't seem to make the AS better, but i have notice that if i eat too much sugar i have really bad flars. so i try to stay away from too much sugar but i love ice cream!! i stay totally gluten free, if i didn't i would have bloating, and stomache pain and dry heaving, so needless to say i don't go near gluten and not even for special occassions, it's hard but worth all the trouble. good luck to you.zoe

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved