Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114046 - 06/08/08 10:26 PM weight gain and Humira
Ashiegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: IL
I'm taking Humira and have been for about 8 months for the last few years I have maintained about the same weight 120-130ish area... right off the bat starting Humira I gained 15 pounds and I just had it upped from once every 2 weeks to every 7-10 days because my pain has been so bad and I just gained more weight. Im now at 160 and I am not doing anything different then I did a year ago I have also been eating a lot healthier. It all started when I started on Humira. Does anyone else have this problem on Humira?
Fibromyalgia Jan 09 age 19

#114053 - 06/09/08 05:30 AM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: Ashiegirl]
JanetK Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: west virginia
Unfortunately, yes.

I was on Enbrel for just under 2 years & gained about 40 lbs. over that time frame. I also eat very healthy & exercise almost daily.

Now I've been on Humira for 2 mos. I had high hopes that not only would the Humira help my disease process, but that I would avoid any further weight gain & even perhaps lose some of the weight I gained on Enbrel.

Not so. I've gained about 6-7 lbs. in these past 2 mos. on Humira.

You're much younger than me, which gives you a bit of an advantage over me for losing weight (if there is such a thing!), since I am 46 & it becomes more difficult to lose weight at this stage of life, for a whole other set of reasons, let alone when you are on medication that contributes to the struggle.

I was in tears just yesterday over this whole thing. I have no idea what I'm going to do, short of stopping all my treatment.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't really. I just wanted you to know that you are definitely not alone.

#114176 - 06/09/08 09:58 PM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: JanetK]
Ashiegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Well it is creating much stress... all the weight is in my tummy area... I don't have the stoop like i guess most with AS have, my back is going the other way.. it's kind of caving in on me, so my back is pushing all that weight out, creating the look like imp pregnant. I can't tell you how many times in a day i get asked about it. If i exercise in the morning the rest of the day is shot, and by the time the afternoon comes i can hardly walk as it is... It's frustrating. so i watch what i eat and i'm still gaining and gaining and gaining.... Janet i hope you are able to lose some and if anyone has ANY ideas they are greatly appreciated.

#114224 - 06/10/08 12:52 PM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: Ashiegirl]
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Florida
I read "somewhere" that your experience with weight gain on enbrel is not unusual. I had a similar problem with elavil and the TNFs. No matter what I did, I couldn't lose weight. It is awfully hard to lose weight when everywhere hurts. The last thing you want to do is exercise. But, I've found that if I exercise a little everyday, the pain is better than if I don't. Try doing weight lifts with soup cans if regular weights are too much for you now. Do small walks of 5-10 minutes spread out during the day so you're not doing too much all at once. Any exercise you get is better than none. I also did Weight Watchers and lost a lot of weight with them. You might want to check out a local program and see if they can help you.

#114574 - 06/13/08 09:09 PM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: Merlin]
Ides Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: WA
Studies have been conducted that show a significant increase in the body mass index of people on the three anti-TNFs, Remicade, Enbrel, and Humira. No reason has been determined yet but they do know that the meds can cause weight gain. The largest look/study was done on people with PsA. I think they are reluctant to run the test on those with bowel issues since their nutritional status can be compromised from the disease.

#114576 - 06/13/08 09:30 PM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: Ides]
sammimp Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Colorado
I have been having this problem too. It's so frustrating. I try to be active. I walk an hour everyday and hike on the weekend. I eat nuts and berries basically. Maybe once a week or two I say screw it and have a burger and fries. I eat organic and nonprocessed foods and the scale jsut doesn't budge. I feel like exercising alot is the only way but I don't want to push too much. I feel better now that I walk but too much can affect me. Plus since I moved to Colorado I am very aware of how fit and thin people are here. I can from chicago where it was more the other way. I am probably healthier than my skinny friends but people do see that. AHHHHHH! i guess I should be greatful that I feel pretty darn good considering where I was when I wasn't on Enbrel. You can't win every battle, I guess.

#114596 - 06/14/08 09:04 AM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: sammimp]
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Florida
I found I've gained about 5 pounds in the 2 years I've been on remicade. Prior to being on the TNF medications, my weight didn't budge for 5 years. It is almost impossible to lose weight.

#114600 - 06/14/08 10:23 AM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: Merlin]
JanetK Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: west virginia
I did nothing but drink Slimfast shakes for 3 days, one for each meal. I had a piece of fruit with the evening shake, usually an apple or an orange.

I lost absolutely nothing in 3 days, not even water weight.

#114603 - 06/14/08 11:58 AM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: JanetK]
Ashiegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Well i'm getting a huge work out now... The Mississippi river is about into my house and our town is being evacuated. Maybe lose some weight. Keep us in your prayers... most people here are going to lose everything... well i have to go get more stuff out of my room... talk to u all later...

#114638 - 06/14/08 06:19 PM Re: weight gain and Humira [Re: Ashiegirl]
tiabird Offline
Registered Visitor

Ashley, I just read your post. I pray that you and the rest of your community are ok and that the water does not damage anymore than it has. You will be in my prayers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved