Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#117818 - 07/17/08 08:22 AM arthritis of the larynx?
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
I went to a new ENT yesterday with various throat symptoms. One of them is that I have a chronically tender spot on one side of my larynx. He felt it and asked me if I had arthritis. He said that arthritis will sometimes affect the larynx.

I came home and did a google search, but everything that I found talked about arthritis of the larynx being associated with RA. Has anyone ever heard of this being associated with spondy?

Brenda

peripheral spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#117828 - 07/17/08 10:50 AM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: poodlegirl]
Lynne from CT Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Connecticut
Hi Poodlegirl. I have had throat problems (diagnosed by an ENT with chronic tonsilitis) for years and was told by a rheumy that my tonsils were bad because of the inflammation from my AS. Actually one rheumy that I was seeing before the one that told me this said "oh . . . we'll have your tonsils removed" . . . my response "not in my lifetime" especially at the ripe old age of 54!! Needless to say, I don't see either one of these doctors anymore. I guess you could say, I ran in fear. Feel better. Peace. L.

May all your ups and downs in life be with a needle and thread.

#117855 - 07/17/08 12:45 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: Lynne from CT]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I searched on the terms "ankylosing spondylitis" larynx and this came up - seems it's possible your larynx prob is related to spondy but be sure to get it thoroughly checked out just in case it's something more insidious.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3972453
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#117856 - 07/17/08 01:10 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: poodlegirl]
AnarchyMom Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Springfield, MO, USA
Originally Posted By: poodlegirl
I went to a new ENT yesterday with various throat symptoms. One of them is that I have a chronically tender spot on one side of my larynx. He felt it and asked me if I had arthritis. He said that arthritis will sometimes affect the larynx.Brenda

Is your tender spot on the outside or do you mean you have a tender spot inside your mouth?

#117859 - 07/17/08 02:40 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: AnarchyMom]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Jen, that is an interesting article. Thanks for finding it for me. It does make me wonder if the diagnosis is correct or not.

AnarchyMom, the best way I can explain it is that left side of my throat bothers me all the time, at a very low level. This has been going on for about 20 years. When I press on a certain spot on my larnyx (on the outside), there is tenderness on the inside. Kind of like when you press on a swollen gland from the outside and it feels tender.

I have had in-office scoping, a CT and an MRI. They can't see anything that would cause a problem. I had the CT about 15 years ago and the MRI one year ago. The pain level is always about the same. It only gets worse if I get a sore throat from a sinus infection or strep.

He does think that I have reflux and that is causing the tickle/cough at the base of my throat. But the larnyx spot is too high for reflux, in his opinion and I don't have the symptoms of laryngeal reflux (hoarseness, chronic cough, feeling of lump in throat).

I did have lots of of tonsilitis growing up, but still have my tonsils. He said that I have scarring and ridging around the left tonsil, but it is too far away from the larnyx to be related to the tenderness there.

Brenda

Edited by poodlegirl (07/17/08 03:00 PM)

peripheral spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#117876 - 07/18/08 06:18 AM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: poodlegirl]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Brenda, this is fascinating to me as my grandmother - who by her self report may have RA, she has trouble keeping stuff straight, she's 87 - has had throat problems for a couple years now. She's been worked over pretty thoroughly as well - I wonder if it's something related to arthritis that's causing her issues! I'm going to print off some stuff to show her when I see her next week. Sorry you are struggling with this and no good answers - but thanks for alerting me to the fact that this exists!!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#118120 - 07/21/08 02:52 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: JenInCincy]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Jen, I'm glad that this info was helpful to you. When I was reading about the larynx and RA, one article said that 25% of people with RA get arthritis in the larynx. And it can also get into the bones of the ear. You know those little ones in the hearing mechanism. Good grief! I would never have dreamed that could happen.

Hope your grandmother gets some help with her throat!

Brenda

#118154 - 07/21/08 06:10 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: poodlegirl]
flip Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: St. Paul MN
poodlegirl-I've been having throat problems for the past couple years. (See my other past posts on this subject.) It got worse when I took the infusion drug remicade. We stoped the drug and my throat settled down. Was so bad one time went to my primary ENT. Upond discovery via CAT, I have a bone 'mass' protruding INWARD into my throat. They say that is due to AS. I do wish there was more discusion on this subject as well. I am now recouperating from my sinus surgery. Blew out the crap in my nostrils, clean or took off the anoids, and smoothed over my pharengeal flap I had as a kid. Hope you find some answers, poodlegirl.

#118157 - 07/21/08 07:27 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: flip]
Britefutr Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: St Louis
I showed this article to my husband because I've had that same sensation in the larnyx and, like you, it worsens with even a mild sore throat. The article says that in rare cases the vocal folds can become fixed.

He's really excited. He like "cool....cause then you couldn't spam about your AS anymore." I promised him if I could no longer talk, then I would moan in pain until it drove him INSANE.

Hehehe. You all know he was just kidding.

I also told him it can spread to the ear bones, and then I wouldn't have to listen to his sick sense of humor!!!

Thanks for posting the article.

#118241 - 07/22/08 06:17 PM Re: arthritis of the larynx? [Re: poodlegirl]
Eileenc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NC
Hi Brenda,

I haven't been here in a while and I'm so glad I popped in this evening! I've been experiencing hoarseness and swelling of my left supra-clavicular lymph node for months. I've had a CT with and with contrast that has shown I have some sort of growth to the left of my throat as well as between my larynx and trachea, with adenoid swelling. An ENT also did the in-office scope down the throat, said I had GERD and has me taking 40 mg daily of prilosec and didn't say boo about the growth.

The information ya'll just provided amps up my once deflated inspiration; I get so tired of trying to find out what the hell is wrong with me, I sortof gave up trying. So thanks for posting this and keep updating if you can.

Eileen

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved