Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#118455 - 07/25/08 02:11 PM Anesthesia/sedation for SI joint injection?
Marika Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: S.F. Bay Area
Hello all,
I'm going to have my right SI joint injected next Thursday and would like to know people's experience with and without sedation. They gave me the choice of IV sedation and I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. My thinking is that if the pain from the injection itself is brief, then I don't need to be sedated. However, when I just did a search on this topic, I saw that someone had pain that lasted for a long time from the injection.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate hearing about everyone's different experiences to help me decide.

Thanks!!

#118463 - 07/25/08 05:02 PM Re: Anesthesia/sedation for SI joint injection? [Re: Marika]
Ides Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: WA
I had my right SI injected last September. I did NOT have any sedation. According to the doctor, he sedates about 1/2 of his patients. I have had many joint injections and never flinch a bit. I also have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I had about 3 seconds of a deep pressure type pain at the time he injected the medication. I did not move but did say "ouch" twice.

After the injection when he had me stand up from the table, I had the sensation that my buttock was swollen. He said that is common and normal due to the extra fluid that was injected. I had no pain at the injection site. He had me do movements that previously would have caused me a great deal of pain and asked me if there was any improvement. I felt there was about a 1/3 reduction in pain in the SI within the 3-4 minutes since getting up from the table. By the end of two weeks, my SI joint pain was very minimal and only if I did extreme movements.

I hope your injection brings about as much relief as I got.

#118509 - 07/26/08 10:57 AM Re: Anesthesia/sedation for SI joint injection? [Re: Ides]
Rach Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Michigan, USA
I have never had sedation for my SI joint injections. If you do, you have to bring a driver.
Yes, it hurts a lot for, as you say, a few seconds - just "Ow,Ow,Ow" a couple of times, and it's over. It hurts more for a few days afterwards too, just like any other steroid injection, but I don't think the sedation would make any difference to that. In my case, I cannot see any reason to have sedation. There have been times when I have had more SI joint pain than the injection causes just from putting a foot to the ground, and that was for every step. A one-off few seconds seems ridiculous to medicate for to me, but everyone is different, and if you have a phobia issue maybe it would be worthwhile.

I have found the injections to be very effective, and since having them, even after the effect has largely worn off, I haven't been getting anywhere near the same level of SI flares that I used to.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson

#118514 - 07/26/08 12:12 PM Re: Anesthesia/sedation for SI joint injection? [Re: Rach]
Cindy Lou Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Waynesboro, PA
Marika, I've never had the type of injection that you are going to have, however I've had plenty of the epidural steroid injections.I was never under sedation for them. I think if you have a high tolerance for pain you'll be okay without sedation.

I also had a discogram without sedation and believe me they would NEVER get me back for another one. I believe that the Dr. thought I was so tough during all the other injections, and hardly flinched that I wouldn't need sedation for that test...WRONG!

I wish you luck with your injection and hope that it brings you the relief your looking for.

#118516 - 07/26/08 12:20 PM Re: Anesthesia/sedation for SI joint injection? [Re: Cindy Lou]
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Florida
I had my SI joints injected in April without sedation. It wasn't that big a deal. Didn't need to bring a driver, but that depends on the guidelines your pain management doctor requires you to follow for injections. Relief lasted for about a week (noticeably better the first day), so I then had the joints cryoablated in May. That has proven to be a big relief.

#118624 - 07/28/08 09:57 AM Re: Anesthesia/sedation for SI joint injection? [Re: Merlin]
Marika Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: S.F. Bay Area
Thanks for your replies! I have a high tolerance for pain (don't we all?! smile ) and have decided to not get the sedation. Hearing your descriptions has calmed some of my fears. Thanks!

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved