Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127159 - 10/31/08 08:36 PM Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections?
jcollins Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kentucky
I was diagnosed with AS about 5 months ago. I was told to take Enbrel, and it really did help after about 2 weeks. But I am still having so much pain when I am giving myself the injections. I take the sureclick injector. It just takes me so much time to build up to be able to take it. I missed 2 weeks b/c I was sick and now I cant get back up to doing it b/c I know it will hurt so bad. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help with the injection pain? I know that I really need this b/c it helped me get my life back. My back is already starting to hurt again, I just cant bring myself to handle the pain. Help!!!

Edited by jcollins (10/31/08 08:36 PM)

#127262 - 11/01/08 01:53 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: jcollins]
Serenity Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: AR
jcollins,

I was dx about 7 mo ago now, and am also on Enbrel. The sureclick pushes the liquid in so fast that yeah, it burns. I asked my rheumy to change me to the prefilled syringes. I do veterinary work, and am very comfortable with using them. Now, I still have to push the needle in, but the burn is from the speed of the injection. I can control it and go as slow as I want. My advice is to at least try the prefilled syringes. Good luck!

ps-we both know that if Enbrel works, the benefit is worth a few minutes of burning!

#127280 - 11/01/08 04:22 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: Serenity]
joey Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New Mexico
I've been on Enbrel for a year (next month) and I understand having to build up the courage to push that button down. I have to remind myself that short amount of pain (although it feels like an extremely long time) is worth the days of feeling better.

What I do is take it out and let it come to room temp for 15 min. Then I put it in my underarm while I get the alcohol rub ready and some ice. While I am icing the area I move my hand up and down the tube so it can warm up some more. After the shot, although it still hurts, I will massage the area. I've noticed that it really helps. My leg would feel like needles were stuck inside my skin and I wouldn't be able to walk for quite a while.

That is what works for me. Good luck in finding what works for you!!

#127299 - 11/01/08 08:40 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: Serenity]
jcollins Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kentucky
Yeah I have heard to try those instead of the injector, but I just am not sure if I could do it sine I would see the needle. I may ask my doctor if maybe I could come in and she could show me how to use it and see if I think that it is any better. The bad thing is that I just got my 3 months worth of injections, so I have to at least use those before my insurance will pay for more. But at least I will know so that I can switch if I think that it is better. Where do you inject yours? thigh or stomach? I have heard that the stomach is less pain, but I wasnt sure. I am pretty small and I think that it would just be so painful in the stomach. I just see my thighs as being tougher, ya know? We are about the same age. It is so hard knowing that you are going to have this all your life. I have also heard peeople say that after a few years that the enbrel doesnt help and they have to switch or up their number of times taking it. Have you heard that? My rheumy also told me that sometimes when you get pregnant it can cause your condition to get better and some people's symptoms and pain alost completely go away afterwards. She said that sometimes people dont have to get back on the shot. Well thanks for responding to me. It is just good to hear that others have the same problem and I am not just a wimp. I thought I had a high pain tolerance until I started these. I feel so wimpy at times now! LOL

#127545 - 11/04/08 08:53 AM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: jcollins]
sammimp Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Colorado
It hurts like a b*&$%! I have tried everything. I just work myself up to doing it and remind myself how bad I felt without it. I am going to switch the the regular surenges because my doctor told me that they don't hurt as much. Remember it is a shot so it is not going to be painless.

#127549 - 11/04/08 10:13 AM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: sammimp]
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Florida
I never used the sure-clicks. Mine were always the prefilled syringes and the good thing about them, is that you can slowly inject the medication. When it starts to sting, you can pause until that goes away, then continue with the injection. I didn't find them all that bad and like you, the relief was better than the temporary discomfort. I'm on remicade now because enbrel stopped working after about 9-10 months.

#127579 - 11/04/08 03:30 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: Merlin]
Cindy Lou Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Waynesboro, PA
Yes, I too have pain with the sureclick injections. I do lay mine out for up to half an hour so that it isn't so cold thinking that will help, but so far it hasn't. I keep telling myself...I can do this, and then I inject...it does hurt like a s%$#^ for a few seconds then it's done till the next week.

#128103 - 11/09/08 01:27 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injections? [Re: Cindy Lou]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
I've had trouble staying on enbrel because I'm constantly getting sick. (cold, sinus, sore throat...) But I did want to help if I could. I used the pre-filled syringe. I never thought I'd be able to self-inject but it wasn't as hard as I expected. The needle is very tiny and doesn't hurt that bad going in. Just remember to go slowly with medicine. The best place for me is in the stomach. The first couple of times I injected in my upper thigh and then on a whim decided to try the stomach. It was soooo much less painful in stomach.

Hope this helps.

Ann

#128336 - 11/10/08 11:31 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injecti [Re: aslee9]
ginny52 Offline
First time visitor

hi,

i used to use enbrel back when one had to fill their own syringe and inject, they never hurt, maybe because i injected it very slowly? (humura hurt a lot to inject and the side effects of that drug were too extreme) i usually got a bit of a raised red area and a bit itchy at the injection site, maybe self fill syringes are no longer available? i no longer have the type of medical coverage for enbrel and take prednizone; i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know about the side effects can be unfavorable but at this point i choose the risk of those over unbearable pain

also i read some about folks with the chest / spine / sternum pain... i learned that breathing by extending my lower belly rather than expanding my ribs helped enormously and gave that inflamed area a break from the pain...

my heart goes out to all of you, my fellow AS folks, ginny

#128543 - 11/12/08 12:00 PM Re: Does anyone else have pain with Enbrel injecti [Re: ginny52]
postal2 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kennewick, Washington
I have tried thigh, stomach and arm. I am now using my arm. I found the thigh the most painful, the stomach was the least painful, but it also did not seem to work as well in the stomach, maybe because I have "extra" there. The arm hurts too, but I found it less painful than the thigh.
Good luck!
Gail

Somedays, it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved