Spondylitis Association of America
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128588 - 11/12/08 06:19 PM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: Mark D]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Mark you have really great advice...I did take pictures of my back...let me see, can I post the pictures here?

#128599 - 11/12/08 07:33 PM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: ]
fatcat Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: US
I have mottling on my arms - it's red and blue, looks like a fish net. From what I remember reading about it, it can be caused by autoimmune disorders and maybe antiphospholipid syndrome - but don't quote me on that. It's been a while since I did some reading on that. I get it especially when I'm cold. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, though. Looks like a fishnet though.

Look up skin mottling on google - maybe "skin mottling with autoimmune diseases" or "skin mottling with antiphospholipid syndrome" & see what you can find. My post may be too late and you may have already figured it out. To me, it doesn't sound like a fungal infection.

#128628 - 11/13/08 08:36 AM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: ]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like a blood pressure problem maybe, or even an aneurysm in your wrist. You should follow up with a doctor. Fungal infections of the skin do not present with big pulsating veins.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#128637 - 11/13/08 10:06 AM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: JenInCincy]
troubled Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
I noticed marbling on my lower back last year. I was told that this was caused from the constant use of a heating pad. The doctor told me to stop using it for a while and it went away after several weeks. Now I try to only use it on low when the pain is really bad. I did some research on this and you have to be very careful using the heating pads, because constant overuse especially once you have the mottling can lead to certain skin cancers, similar to sunburn damage. I don't know if yours is the same or not.

#128680 - 11/13/08 02:55 PM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: troubled]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

I think you have hit the nail on the head...I didn't realize that the heating pad could do this damage, but I lay on it every night. It is the only pain relief that I get. Really, you were told that it can lead to skin cancer? OMG, that is scary. Thank you for the info, I am going to look into it.

#128691 - 11/13/08 05:12 PM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: ]
troubled Offline
Registered Visitor

I know Wikkipedia is not the best source for this type of thing, but this was the est information I could get. Just to clarify, I was only told by a doctor that the marbling was caused by the heating pad. I don't have insurance, so I did the rest of the research myself. Here is the wikki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythema_ab_igne

#128709 - 11/13/08 06:53 PM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: troubled]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

That is exactly what my back looks like, and I am now suffering in bed without my heating pad. Did the marbling on your back go away with discontinued use? I can't believe that I have done this to myself. And to think that if the doctors would simply get rid of my pain, I wouldn't be addicted to my heating pad which I am now scared is going to leave permanent damage to my skin. If is isn't one thing it's another.

#128711 - 11/13/08 07:10 PM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: ]
troubled Offline
Registered Visitor

Mine comes and goes, because I cannot give up my heating pad all together. It takes several weeks, up to two months, to go away completely. I try to keep an eye on it and only use the heating pad on low. I also turn it off after a few minutes instead of straight heat for hours like before. Also, instead of the heating pad sometimes I take hot bubble baths (the bubbles are just for fun smile On occasion I can use ice packs, but they are no where near as effective as the heat. I hope this helps. I know how frustrating this is. I was doing okay on Remicade, but eventually had to file for disability. I was approved, but it takes two years of disability before you can get Medicare. So in the mean time, I'm just doing what I can with heat, ice, tramadol, and an occasional glass of wine when it is really bad.

#128728 - 11/14/08 01:30 AM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: troubled]
Xandra Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Seattle
I have loved using my heating pad since I was about 15. After prolonged use it would leave marbling on my skin on my back or stomach, depending on where I was using it. It would take weeks to months to go away. I now have a heating pad that turns itself off after an hour, so if you fall asleep on it you don't end up heating your skin for eight hours. I have been using it for two years and have not had the marbling like I did with my old heating pads. Also, the one I have goes all the way from my shoulders to my pelvis. It's awesome! It's a Kaz Soft Heat and it has a five-year warranty.

#128809 - 11/14/08 11:29 AM Re: Marbled Skin? [Re: Xandra]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Since reading your post and figuring out that my marbled skin is from the heating pad, my hubby has taken the heating pad away from me, and now my pain is increasing by the hour. He won't let me use it at all. How am I supposed to function with this amount of pain. ARGGGGGGG

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved