Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#130874 - 12/10/08 12:16 PM Options for Cervical Spine - Pinched Nerve Issues?
dceagle11 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Washington, DC
DX A/S 20 years largely under control with indomethecin and exercise. Added tramadol in last 18 months for pain issues.

I've been having issues with pinched nerves in C6-C7 and C5-C6 for the last 4 years. It started with some numbness in the thumb, pointer and middle fingers of my left hand. Occasionally, I would experience shooting pain along the nerve from the back of shoulder, tricep, outside top of forearm to hand. MRI showed some stenosis and bulging of disks. PT, plus course of prednisone and a series of 3 cortisone shots to C6-C7 seemed to reduce the inflamation and bring the numbness to a minimum. About 3 months ago, I started to have constant spasms in the top outside of both forearms with more frequent nerve pain. I am having some trouble holding on to ligher items (like keys), but heavier items are OK. Second MRI done last week and appointment with neurosurgeon next week based on Rheumo referral. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what worked, what didn't? Can anyone recommend some good resources which might describe pros and cons of options. Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.

#130878 - 12/10/08 01:38 PM Re: Options for Cervical Spine - Pinched Nerve Issues? [Re: dceagle11]
Roqufort Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
I had disk damage and pinched nerves in c4- c7 and had the entire section fused. I have very good range of motion and surgery was easy, recovery was about 1 week really, but had to wear neck brace for 6 weeks. I have no more pain from disks in my neck and fairly good range of motion 80% i would say off hand. feel free to message me if you want more in depth info, surgery was a blessing for me.

and yes, the risks are there for surgery, but i did it even with a father who was a quadriplegic for 42 years because of a neck injury at c6-c7

#130938 - 12/11/08 11:55 AM Re: Options for Cervical Spine - Pinched Nerve Issues? [Re: Roqufort]
suz Offline
Registered Visitor

I had the fusion surgery too. My recovery took longer, but it was a success and I no longer have the continuous arm/neck/hand pain. I will sometimes get some spasming if I overdo it. Honestly, my postsurgery recovery went a lot better when I stopped going to PT 3 months after--one of the PT assistants was pushing me too hard and wouldn't hear me. Immediate recovery. smile

Wish I had done it in 2005. Would have made my life easier.

#130939 - 12/11/08 11:57 AM Re: Options for Cervical Spine - Pinched Nerve Issues? [Re: suz]
suz Offline
Registered Visitor

If it's an option, go with laminectomy. People recover from that really fast--I've known people who have had that done.

#131030 - 12/12/08 01:46 PM Re: Options for Cervical Spine - Pinched Nerve Issues? [Re: suz]
Merlin Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Florida
Ask about IDET procedures also. They insert a heated metal coil into the disk space. It causes the bulging or herniated area to retract back into the normal space. It won't help the stenosis but it will help the bulging disk. I had it done on a lumbar disk several years ago.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved