Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132384 - 01/07/09 06:17 PM My LEGS HURT SO BAD
KellyChristal
Unregistered

The last two days my legs have been killing me. Like I ran a mile yesterday out of the blue. I havent changed or done anything out of the norm. They hurt from butt down to the ankles....a lot in my calves. Has this happened to anybody else? Does anyone know why I might be feeling this way? I am a little freaked out about it.

#132386 - 01/07/09 06:26 PM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: ]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
I don't know but I went from having super strong pain in my back for months to moderate back pain and now some increasing pain in my knees. I almost never have problems with my knees. I don't know where it is coming from. Hurts to have them bent. We had a weather system move through last night so I am thinking I may be feeling that. Matter of fact I feel pain in quite a few areas and I am starting to worry a bad flare is about to happen.

Last night when I was sitting at my desk my calf was hurting and then I got into the shower and it continued until the hot water ran onto it. After that it was fine.

Not sure what to suggest just wanted to say I am there with you.

#132387 - 01/07/09 06:32 PM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: Cosmololo]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

thanks, just took a hot bath and it helped a little.

#132391 - 01/07/09 08:35 PM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: ]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi kelly - this is so strange. i have many symptoms alot of folks here have but i have had this exact one and never brought it up before you. as a matter of fact it has just been happening every few days or so for the past month or so. i just concluded it was part of everything else i have. who knows, but i am with cosmololo, hot shower. i just stand there. i guess it is my water wasting heating pad because it covers everything all at once. wooo hoo. now, the one thing i could think of for myself was blood flow being restricted somehow, perhaps due to inflamation. and the other thing is the achilles tendon goes up the calf, and not sure of the exact location. or how far up. i have been having achilles problems for a long time now. my bil just had achilles tendon surgery last fall and they opened his whole calf up for the repair. i think the AS can do a job on so many tendons in our legs. for me it was unusual to have both legs hurt. but, then again, i said i have other possibilities. good luck and if you and your doc discover anything to explain it, please write back and let me (us) know. in the mean time, baths or showers. peace and prayers, sequoia

#132394 - 01/07/09 08:47 PM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: ]
Mark D Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Austin, TX
I had a lot of problems in the past with sore muscles, especially my calves. I think it was mainly enthesitis pain radiating through the tissue. However, when I started Remicade I also had an unusual episode where both legs got really sore -- so painful that it hurt to walk -- for a few days. I felt the pain in the muscles from the thighs to the ankles. It happened once and never came back. Still a mystery to me. It did not coincide with any unusual physical activity.

#132412 - 01/08/09 06:25 AM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: Mark D]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Does it feel like muscle pain? Do you have any other diagnoses that involve muscle pain, such as fibromyalgia? How about sciatica - is it a shooting pain? It might be worth a call to your doctor just to rule out more serious problems.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#132414 - 01/08/09 06:46 AM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: ]
MomtoRhi Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
I have the same problem periodically. Right now it is all the time, unfortunately. I feel like I am on a 24hour workout cycle or just ran a marathon. I ache at all my connective tissue points (along the bones but not the bones). It feels slightly like muscle ache, but it is definitely not in the muscles. I am going to run it by both my OB and my rheumy since I see them on Friday and Monday. If I get any useful information (other than must be inflammation in your connective tissue!), I will pass it along. My husband has been massaging my legs and feet for me at night which has not relieved the pain long term but does keep my legs and feet from cramping painfully.

I am sorry that you are in so much pain. It is absolutely no fun!

Laura

#132415 - 01/08/09 06:49 AM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: MomtoRhi]
Andie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern Virginia
Ive had leg pain for 2 years now. Started in the right and has slowly gotten worse, now the left is affected. Its a deep ache, not muscular. MRIs never show anything and the only medications that work are narcotics. I was severely vitamin D deficient and prescribed supplementation-- this did help some but the pain is still there. It never goes away-- it never gets any better and is slowly getting worse. I suspect it is enthesitis. To date this has been the most frustrating part this disease for me, the other aches and pains come and go but I fear these are here to stay. Good Luck.

#132419 - 01/08/09 07:58 AM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: Andie]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi all, i just want to add thanks for all of you discussing this. i agree with all it is NOT muscle, perhaps attachments, it is definitely deep like bone pain. so wierd so many have had this and no answers. please everyone, write back if you find out. some days with this disease i feel i am losing it. it is like a whirlwind of symptoms. head to toe. last night was really fun! not lol. it even hurt to lie on my right side, the pressure of my arms on my ribs kept hurting the spine and kept me awake for at least 2 hours. i know i am not alone. thanks for letting me vent. sequoia

#132438 - 01/08/09 02:57 PM Re: My LEGS HURT SO BAD [Re: ]
Bingo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: CT
I have also had the calf issues...so bad that I have to turn and walk backwards down the stairs. It comes and goes with no real reason (well, I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is smile

Dehydration can sometimes cause cramping - especially in the calves. Also, taking in more potassium can help as well - if this is the cause. (banannas give a quick boost in potassium)

Heat helps me too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved