Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#134810 - 02/12/09 04:52 PM Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold???
momtotwoboys Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern New York
My 3rd dose of Enbrel is due tomorrow (Friday) and I started having cold symptoms on about Tuesday. I have a stuffy nose, and slight cough. Are you supposed to not take Enbrel when you have a cold/sickness? I read somewhere that you have to wait until the symptoms are completely gone.

Tracie

#134845 - 02/13/09 06:35 AM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: momtotwoboys]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
I have been told in the past when I was on Enbrel that taking it while having a cold is OK but with an infection is not OK. I never was certain of the answer to this question. I would call your nurse at your doctor's office and ask to be sure. I did not actually get a cold before an injection so I can't really answer.

My opinion would be to call your nurse at your rheumy's office. Unless someone here has a definite answer. I thought at one time someone on the forum here said it was ok with a cold but like I said, I am not certain.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I injected with a stomach bug, or what I thought was a stomach bug but it did not make a difference in any way.

#134864 - 02/13/09 07:31 AM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: Cosmololo]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
I was told if you have a temp of 100 degrees or higher, NO. But if no temp or very low temp ok. Its the temperature that indicates if it is an infection, which is when you shouldn't take it.

A cold has no temp, the flu has temp.

Just be sure and not let your sinus's get clogged up, or you will get an sinus infection. Saline spray, hot spicy food and steamy soup helps.

Anna

#134865 - 02/13/09 07:32 AM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: Banana]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Wanted to add, there is no reason to not to just delay a day or two if you are not sure.

Anna

#134884 - 02/13/09 11:29 AM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: Banana]
jcollins Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kentucky
I was told not to take it if you have an infection, such as Flu, sinus infection, bladder infection. Pretty much and infection of any type. My Rheumy told me just to skip that week, or a few days to get batter. When I first started taking Enbrel I was sick a few times. I guess b/c it decreases your immune system. But that just may have been me.

good luck on your injections. It took me a while to get used to it. I finally had to switch to the suringe b/c the sure-click was too painful for me to do. But not everyone says that it is.

#134892 - 02/13/09 01:21 PM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: jcollins]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
I just had an appointment with my rheumy today and I also asked for clarification on this question. I have had a terrible time staying on Enbrel due to recurrent sinus infections.

Her advise to me was to keep using the Enbrel with a cold and even if I have a sinus infection. She sure shocked me. Her advise was to go to doctor and get antibiotic if I suspect sinus infection, but to continue my Enbrel injections. She said to stop the injections temporarily if after treatment with the antibiotic, I didn't feel like I was getting any better.

I'm not sure if this is what I'd advise anyone else, I just know that I've not been able to get the full benefit of Enbrel due to stopping and starting. I'm determined to give Enbrel my best shot this time and will not stop using it unless I feel really sick.

Hope this helps.

Ann

#134941 - 02/14/09 08:52 AM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: aslee9]
sammimp Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Colorado
I have been on it for two years and unless the doctor says to skip I don't. So if I am sick enough to go to the doctor then it's probably a good idea to skip but if it's just a cold I keep taking it. I will take some addition vitamin c when I feel that I might be coming down with something and that helps fight the cold. I also have severe allergies(take two different meds for them) since moving to COlorado and I always have trouble with my sinuses I;m sure if I went to an allergist that they would say I have chronic sinustis but they isn't much I can do about it so I continue to take my ENbrel. I use a sinus rinse or a nettie pot to keep my sinuses clean. If they get real bad then I go to the doc and get some antibodics but that isn't often that they get out of control.

#134966 - 02/14/09 02:45 PM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: sammimp]
cgw Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
Just an FYI on the sinus infection-antibiotic issue...there was a study that was release a few months ago that found that antibiotics, in the long run, do nothing for sinus infections, although initially your body might react positively and you may get some relief. The recommendation of the experts was to use lavage/nettie pots (like Sammi above) to "wash" any infection out of your sinuses. To be perfectly frank, it TOTALLY freaked me out the first few times I did it because I felt like I was drowning but haven't had a sinus infection all fall or winter. The bonus is that I also haven't taken antibiotics which could, in the future, compromise the effectiveness of antibiotics I might have to take for something else.

#134967 - 02/14/09 03:16 PM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: cgw]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
I've seen the nettie pots at drug store. I've been using the new pressurized saline rinse. Comes in a can. How bad are the nettie pots to use?

Ann

#135027 - 02/15/09 08:20 AM Re: Can you take Enbrel when you have a cold??? [Re: aslee9]
sammimp Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Colorado
My doctor recommended that I use use the nettie pot. They even gave me a starter kit. It's not bad for you if that is what you are asking. It's not hard to do either.
Yeah the doc and I know that antibotics won't "cure" the sinus infection but she will give it to me help it get better when it gets really bad to the point where my whole head hurts. I don't take antibotics very often especially now that I had my toncills removed. Those were so bad they were infected all the time. Plus I eat an organic diet so I don't get added antibotics in my food.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved