Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139366 - 04/07/09 10:16 AM Why is Prednisone bad?
momellen Offline
Registered Visitor

Here's a quick one for anyone. Why is taking Prednisone so bad? I am on Placquinel and have been for years now. I supplement w/2 Aleve, a few days a week. Every few weeks, I go into a flair, and my doctor puts me on a Medrol pack, for a week, and sometimes drain my knees if they are really bad. It always works. I get much better. The inflamation goes way down, Im able to walk more, do more, etc. I have been on Sulfalazine and Methotrexate, but they didn't really help. I know the side effects of Humira and Embrel, but my real question is....Why can't I just stay on the Medrol pack say every two weeks or so? Do you think it actually has worse risks to my kidney's/liver than Humire/Embrel? And has anyone ever done this combo of Prednisone and Placquinel?
Thanks a bunch!

#139368 - 04/07/09 10:27 AM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: momellen]
astrologynut Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Stuck in vortex of dystopian, ...
A quick answer because am currently busy with all kinds of stuff and I will try return later with a fuller answer.

If I recall correctly long-term use of steroids can cause diabetes as well as bone problems such as osteoporosis and there can be other side effects too. Basically its a very bad idea to be on them long-term and is better to use them on an ad-hoc basis as the need arises.

Oliver

Infliximab (Remicade), Morphine Sulphate, Omeprazole, Fluoxetine, Diclofenac, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Metoclopramide, Lyrica.

#139369 - 04/07/09 10:27 AM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: momellen]
garden13 Offline
Registered Visitor

I guess it's just not good to do because your body will stop producing those hormones and you could somewhat get a medically induced Addison's type problem. I think. I know it can cause bone problems like osetoporosis and other problems too.

All I know is it's my miricle drug. I wish I could have been on it the rest of my life. I felt great on it! Better then any pain killer or TNF I've taken!

#139370 - 04/07/09 10:44 AM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: garden13]
Spenser23 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
You can add glaucoma. cataracts, osteo-porosis and extreme weight gain to the list of reasons why long-term prednisone use is bad for you.

Spenser23

#139371 - 04/07/09 12:04 PM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: Spenser23]
Virginia Offline
Registered Visitor

Personally I have done very well when on prednisone. I could not believe how good I felt. And it has done wonders for my children with their asthma.

But now the doctor says that because of the prednisone the head of my femur (the ball of the ball and socket of the hip) is dying. On an x-ray, I can see the ball and there is a crescent shape just missing from it. The rough edge it has on it has torn the socket and it catches there and that hurts as well. They have already offered to replace my hip but I am not ready. I have not been on prednisone all that much and it is hard to believe that it caused this, but it is what they say is the likely cause.

Virginia

#139372 - 04/07/09 12:53 PM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: Virginia]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
First of all, though all drugs have side effects--prednisones side effects are much more common and they are more silent side effects than other medications. So if you read bla bla bla about a medication that your doctor recommends, you realize that bla bla bla will most likely not happen to you. Well, on pred the odds are one or more WILL most likely happen to you and you might not know it till its too late.

Osteoporous--is common for AS people and its a very common side effect of pred. I got it from pred and now have to take an IV medication to combat it. of course, it is serious in my spine so my odds of breaking my back are now not so good for me. Can't take the pill osteo meds because my stomach is bad.

Glagcoma- my girl friend got that from 2mg dose of pred for one year, she was 43 years old at the time. They don't remove it till it is a certain thickness so she has to live with it.

High blood pressure--very common and dangerous

Weight gain--I lost 22 pounds after being off pred for 2 months. I did nothing different.

There are other side effects that I forget at the moment. The weight gain really sucks because "friends and family" like to mention it.

Unfortunately, because my disease is very hard to control, I am back on it and feel much better. I am on 5mg, a low dose which I hope will be safe.

Pred is great as a bridge drug while waiting for a medication to start working, it is great for rapidly reducing inflammation so the medications can work better. On as a very low dose if medications are working so well and you have limited options.

Also a steady low dose is better than going up and down on a regular basis.

Anna

#139373 - 04/07/09 01:15 PM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: Banana]
CindyLou Offline
Registered Visitor

After reading this thread and some of the replies I have another question. Do you know if the Depo-medrol injection is as bad for you as taking the prednisone by mouth? My Rheumy will use it only under certain circumstances, like if I'm in a flare and also if I'm planning a long trip and will be sitting for any length of time.

#139374 - 04/07/09 01:42 PM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: CindyLou]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Well, you usually don't take them so regular, like a daily pill. But you can differently gain weight on it because it stays in your body.

Saying that, I always, always, always take it on vacation. I want to have fun. Short doses for less than 6 months are not as bad as taking it long term.

Saying that, I am on it again because I would go crazy to be bed ridden and I have big problems getting this monster under control.

Anna

#139380 - 04/07/09 02:07 PM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: momellen]
pennie2001 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Dallas, TX
Just a quick response. Pred was BAD for me. I was on it for a little over a year...during which time i gained well over 60 pounds ( eventually was too upset to even weigh myself), put at higher risk of osteoporosis, also the pred made my glucose levels spike to the level of pre-diabetic..and I've never had a problem with that.

Thankfully, after tapering off, and doing a serious diet, I was able to lost almost all the weight...still have about 15 pounds to go, glucose levels are back to normal. I'll have to wait and see about any lingering osteoporosis risks though. If you don't have to do the pred, don't.

29 y/o, first diagnosis of AS at age 22. Also have OA in both knees, Raynaud's phenomenon, taking Remicade infusions and weekly methotrexate injections, as well as voltaren, protonix and folic acid.

#139383 - 04/07/09 02:47 PM Re: Why is Prednisone bad? [Re: pennie2001]
momellen Offline
Registered Visitor

As always......You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for the info....Last question....The Medrol pack I take occasionally is only for 6 days....and each day tapers down....Can I assume this is not as significant of a risk as someone who takes Prednisone daily?....Or am I just not wanting to accept reality?
Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved