Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140150 - 04/16/09 05:20 PM Low body temp with fatigue!
jackieb Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Saltville
I have noticed last few days I am having lower than normal body temps, chills, and fatigue. I wake up as tired as when I went to bed and get nothing accomplished throughout the day. My body temp has not been above 95 for the last few days. I have also had a few days of diareahha which my gastro says is the new normal for me. I am just so ticked off. This new normal is crappy in more ways than one.

#140154 - 04/16/09 06:08 PM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: jackieb]
mariposa Offline
Registered Visitor

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Did your gastro offer any help? I know the GI problems are hard to deal with adequately, but he should be able to do something for you.

My body temp is usually 97, but 95 seems very low. Have you talked to an internist or a rheumy about it?

I do get chills when I have the fatigue. I use heating pads and hot baths. Sometimes even when I'm not fatigued, my husband will comment on how hot I have the shower. It doesn't feel hot to me but he'll insist it is scalding.

I hope you find some relief.

#140172 - 04/16/09 06:52 PM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: mariposa]
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
Sorry you are feeling so bad! My normal body temp usually runs right about 97 also. It has ever since I had mono as a teen. I also very rarely run a fever even when I am very ill. I know there have been some really weird viruses going around in our area. Maybe it is something like that? Don't wait too long to get some help if you feel you need it though! Hope you are better soon!

Blessings,
Nisey

#140174 - 04/16/09 07:00 PM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: mariposa]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
My temperature is consistently 95 degrees and I am fatigued quite often but I know below 95 is NOT good esp. with diarrhea. I recommend you call the doctor and tell them what is going on and maybe ask the nurse or someone if you need to be seen. Or just better yet go in and be seen.

Taken from Webmd: http://firstaid.webmd.com/body-temperature

An abnormally low body temperature (hypothermia) can be serious, even life-threatening. Low body temperature may occur from cold exposure, shock, alcohol or drug use, or certain metabolic disorders, such as diabetes or hypothyroidism. A low body temperature may also be present with an infection, particularly in newborns, older adults, or people who are frail. An overwhelming infection, such as sepsis, may also cause an abnormally low body temperature.

Abnormal:

An oral temperature of 100F or a rectal, ear, or forehead temperature of 101F indicates a slight fever.

A rectal temperature of 100.4F or higher in a child indicates a fever.

A rectal or ear temperature of less than 97F indicates a low body temperature (hypothermia).

#140187 - 04/17/09 05:00 AM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: Cosmololo]
Andie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern Virginia
Get your TSH levels/thyroid checked.

#140221 - 04/17/09 09:02 AM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: Cosmololo]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Cosmololo

Abnormal:

An oral temperature of 100F or a rectal, ear, or forehead temperature of 101F indicates a slight fever.

A rectal temperature of 100.4F or higher in a child indicates a fever.

A rectal or ear temperature of less than 97F indicates a low body temperature (hypothermia).

Hmm, odd! I often have a temp lower than 97 (today when I went to donate platelets it was 96.1 and I was cleared to donate, so I assume that is not a dangerous temp.) That was oral, but from above it doesn't look like oral varies more than about half a degree from rectal.... ear is notoriously inaccurate, as I recall from all my parenting advice articles smile

I am hypothyroid, but my TSH has been in range since I got on medication almost 7 years ago. I wonder if my temp is significant for any reason.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#140225 - 04/17/09 09:17 AM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: JenInCincy]
Spenser23 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
My body temp is consistently a bit low, around 97, but I think that is still within the normal range.

Spenser23

#140227 - 04/17/09 09:45 AM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: Spenser23]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
I think what I was reading online was that as long as it is not drastically low (whatever that may be) and you have no other symptoms you are OK. But low body temp associated with feeling ill and other symptoms is cause for concern. I know low body temp and hypothyroidism sometimes can be dangerous. Low body temp is a sign of hypothyroidism though. Although rare, those with hypothyroidism can rarely get myxedema coma which can be caused by a below normal body temperature. This rare condition usually happens from untreated hypothyroidism and there are other things that can cause it as well. About.com has a way listed on their site for checking your temperature, it is with a glass thermometer under the armpit I believe when first awakening.

Andie is right about getting the TSH/thyroid checked. I just had mine checked and was OK even though I was treated in the past for hypothyroidism.

Here is the link to the coma information:
http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/000353trt.htm

How to take your basal body temperature:
http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/5lies_2.htm

Correction: low body temp can be a symptom of myxedema not a cause. Reread that again sorry.

Edited by Cosmololo (04/17/09 10:01 AM)

#140229 - 04/17/09 09:55 AM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: Cosmololo]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Yeah, that's the question - define "too low." It's about as easy to find as what is a "too low" blood pressure - as I was wondering a month or 2 ago when mine was about 90/60!

I remember doing basal body temp from my days of trying to get pregnant a decade ago - it's a way to tell if you're about to ovulated/have just ovulated. Your BBT drops a day or 2 before ovulation then spikes afterwards. BBT is the lowest temp of the day, if mine was 96.1 at the blood bank I hate to think what it was this a.m.! But now I am curious.

It's funny that about.com would recommend a glass thermometer. I don't think those are even sold to the public anymore, due to the mercury. I always did BBT with a digital therm under the tongue; my understanding was that if you're using a reliable method (i.e. not a pacifier thermometer or many ear thermometers designed for home use), it's fine, as long as you use the same method each time...

I don't have any of my other hypothyroid symptoms so I'm going to assume that it's fine ... my doc checks it every year at my annual physical which is due in about a month.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#140230 - 04/17/09 09:55 AM Re: Low body temp with fatigue! [Re: jackieb]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: jackieb
I have also had a few days of diareahha which my gastro says is the new normal for me. I am just so ticked off. This new normal is crappy in more ways than one.

I don't think it is necessary to accept diarrhea, chills, and fatigue as "the new normal!" Challenge your doctor on this one!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved