Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#142182 - 05/06/09 08:59 PM DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair?
NinasMom Offline
Registered Visitor

Does anyone on here, have AS & Spondylolisis? Where as a pars defect has taken place of the spine? My daughter was diagnosed with AS, and has had surgery of the spine and now I am being diagnosed with it too...I feel liek there is a difference between Spondylolisis, Spondylitis, even though they seem to be under spondyarthropathies. Need help!!!

Nina's Mom

#142183 - 05/06/09 09:11 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: NinasMom]
catwoman Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kansas City
Hi, Nina's Mom,

Spondylitis means "inflammation of the spine" (AS, for example).

Spondylosis means "disease of the spine" and is often synonymous with osteoarthritis of the spine. Meaning, then, it is not an autoimmune arthritis (not a spondyloarthropathy).

Any arthritis of the spine is terrible. It just means the treatment will be different from your daughter with AS as the root cause is different.

I just recently researched this because my mom has OA of the spine also and has tremendous pain in her back, hips and knees. I'm sorry you have this, too, and pray you can find a treatment that relieves your pain.

You indicated you have a pars defect. This is different than what my mom has. A pars defect means there is disease in a specific part of the vertebra, called the pars interarticularis, often caused by trauma or repetitive motion.

Pars-related spondylolysis often involves treatment directed towards reducing the back pain with NSAIDs and stretching and strengthening exercises for the back and abdominal muscles. In more severe cases, one website explains that a lumbosacral support and physical therapy may be ordered.

In the most severe cases where there is severe trauma and muscle spasm, the website I found says that a nuclear bone scan may be done to check if the pars defect is indeed a fracture. If so, it may be necessary to use a rigid lumbosacral orthosis or even a body cast. Physical activities will be curtailed for three months to allow time for healing.

This is the website I was referencing to above:
http://www.orthoseek.com/articles/spondyl.html

I certainly hope yours is not so severe! What has your doctor said? Have you had a bone scan?

#142186 - 05/06/09 10:05 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: catwoman]
NinasMom Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the reply!!! She was diagnosed with AS when she was 8. Then they found the pars defect. She just had surgery a year ago in April. At the time of her surgery, up til then I always thought I had bad osteoarthritis that a MRI showed previously years before. I was pregnant, so I was unable to test for it when her doctor asked if I or anyone in my family had AS. Nina's surgery went well, it was very hard on her, and us all. I finally delivered the baby, and was able to be tested. Unfortunately, she is one of the very few, who's break is not mending after the pars repair (bilaterally- 2 screws) after a year. But she is limited restricted and we are hopeful she will feel better soon. Back to me, they did numerous tests including an MRI and I was postively diagnosed with Lumbar Spondylosis, with a hip that has been affected by AS, needing a screw, 6 thoracic discs are damaged, and now a pars defect of the L5 S1 area. I was put on pain injections for my hip- Lumbar Medial branch block at Bilateral L4 under flouroscopy, which is when the doctor found the Pars defect. However, the 2nd injection didn't take. Now the spine doc wants to do a pars injection and see if this is the main source of the pain for now, because up until now, we only saw the AS symptoms affecting the hip joint and cervical and thoracic spine areas. That is why I'm wondering the link between AS and pars defect and why we both have both, if not more.

It's so hard.... no one understands. My father passed away 2 years ago, we miss him terribly..and he was always in terrible pain in his lower back. I discussed him with many doctors and they all believe strongly, he could have had AS, spondylosis, or itis, or arothapy.

This is more than just a few questions I guess for my daughter, but rather finding many answers to my story. I do look on the up however. I try to find the positive in all I can with this disease. After almost 9 years and 2 boys and 2 girls, I was surprisingly blessed with a baby boy, that enlightens us all and helps me get through! Of course having him is a whole other story lol but a special beginning through a harsh reality. Thanks for reading!

#142187 - 05/06/09 10:10 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: catwoman]
NinasMom Offline
Registered Visitor

Also, I have 2 other issues. I can't take NSAIDS. The other issue is the spinal doctor said that you can get pars defects from the genetic markers, not just trauma. And he believes we both are the genetic root, rather than trauma. So I was trying to see the link and onsets of the diseases, what came first and why.

#142188 - 05/06/09 10:16 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: catwoman]
NinasMom Offline
Registered Visitor

Nina's was a fracture. They believe mine is as well, but he is confirming with one more scan next week. He has already proposed surgery for the fall. I'm very afraid and in alot of pain. The question at this point is how long I want to put up with the pain. I asked him point blank what if I did nothing and he said it would just get worse. The problem is, with AS, you want to exercise and move to feel better. With Spondylosis and a pars defect, you can't move.

It's a catch 22!!!!!!!

#142189 - 05/06/09 10:16 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: NinasMom]
catwoman Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kansas City
Nina,

I'm really sorry about your dad. It does sound like he had something related.

I also wonder if anyone else here has had both AS and the pars defect together? I was thinking that you and/or your daughter had recently been diagnosed with the pars defect, but obviously you have struggled with this awhile. Sorry -- my misunderstanding. I had never heard of it before, so hopefully this thread will raise awareness of it.

I definitely believe pars defects can be genetically related. Though the majority may be trauma-related there are always exceptions. One has to draw that conclusion when two members of the same family have had this.

#142191 - 05/06/09 10:23 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: catwoman]
NinasMom Offline
Registered Visitor

That link is awesome!!!!!!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH

#142192 - 05/06/09 10:32 PM Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE AS & has had the pars repair? [Re: catwoman]
NinasMom Offline
Registered Visitor

I appreciate it. It's been an ongoing issue for awhile now. After she had her surgery, you kinda put things on the back burner when things get better. So now, since I have been diagnosed, I'm doing research again and remembering the statistics and definitions. I will tell you also, I have auto immune deficiency issues- I had radiation on my thyroid in 2001 and have Thyroid disease, as well as Graves Disease, and fibromyalgia. Somehow I feel they all tie together. The funny thing is, the more I read, the more I realize this could have been AS. I had dislocated lacrimal glands (organ that produces tears) above my upper eye lids from extreme inflammation. I even had eye surgery because it was so bad. THey found swollen lymphnodes and did biopsies to make sure it wasn't something else. My mom is a lymphoma survivor in remission. So there has been too many cards in the deck to pull from and get proper diagnosis. You have to have a good doctor and be thorough yourself in your communication to get this far. That is why I keep expressing, and welcoming any thoughts or stories or suggestions to help get more answers in mine. Thanks for sharing, and hope your Mom feels better. She isn't alone.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved