Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142583 - 05/11/09 09:43 AM Rib Pain in the back and front?
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
Forgive me for being confused. I know you guys have explained costochondritis to me before and I did look online at the definition. It says it is tenderness/pain where the ribs attach to the breast plate or bone. So why on earth are my ribs on my back right side hurting so bad? What the heck is up with that? It is SEVERE pain. It keeps making me think I am having a back flare and then my husband goes to touch my back and just touching it sends severe pain throughout my ribs back there on the right. The front right ribs hurt as well but not as severely. Why does touching it hurt?

Has anyone experienced this before? I can't get comfortable no matter how I sit. I did put an ice pack on it this morning around 6am and it helped. Is this something to do with my arthritis? I don't have my gallbladder any more, that was removed in March. Anyone know what the heck this is all about cause it hurts like crazy?!

#142588 - 05/11/09 10:05 AM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: Cosmololo]
jumbojimbo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: dayton oh
You are describing exactly what I felt. Severe pain that I couldn't quite put a specific place to. Felt like muscle spasms. No amount of moving around helped. I'd get those shooting pains just taking a breath. It felt like I was being stabbed. It was very sudden. It would go from hurting a lot to extremely severe pain instantly.

And the pain moved around from day to day. mostly on the right side. But often on the left too. It would be high under my arm, then low near the last rib, toward the front, toward the back, you name it.

#142596 - 05/11/09 10:50 AM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: jumbojimbo]
jpwilson Offline
Registered Visitor

Ok,

So I'm not crazy either. I have had this SAME pain for years and I have had every test under the sun and the docs find nothing. My rhemy seems to think it is muscle spasms due to the fact that the chronic pain from my back has caused all muscles to tense over the years. I don't know. But it makes sense. I am doing PT now and I have to do a bunch a stretching exercises but sometimes it make me feel like it flares up even more.

#142601 - 05/11/09 11:30 AM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: jpwilson]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi cosmo, i have mentioned to others before, right side can be liver, and i think i told you about that, too. it can go around from front to back on right side. do you think this might have anything to do with the nerves that were likely cut during your gallblader surgery? sometimes the nerve lines take a while to regenerate, and they can become damaged during surgery. just two thoughts. take care, s

#142602 - 05/11/09 11:58 AM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: ]
Jami Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SC
Oh my goodness -- this is something I have been dealing with A LOT lately. In fact...yesterday and Saturday was spent in bed b/c the pain in my ribs/chest/back were so bad. Mine is all on the left side (mostly)but it goes around to the back too! This weekend it was so bad -- vicodin didn't even seem to help. My family doc also gave me flexeril b/c the spasms get so bad. She thinks when these flares happen it is also causing some of the nerves to be pinched too. Whatever it is -- it is horrible! I consider myself pretty pain tolerant, but this gets me everytime. I had to take both a flexeril and a vidodin to get any relief last night and just be able to sleep. Today is a bit better -- not completely gone but more tolerable. But...if I touch my chest area at all (or the little one does when I pick her up), it really is tender and hurts. Something that has helped me more - is heat instead of ice. I use the heating pad A LOT. I also stand in a long,hot shower too - that helps. At least while I am in the shower.

Diagnosed with PsA on July 2nd, 2009 after dealing with pain, psoriasis, and lots of Dr's who didn't care for almost 2 1/2 years

#142604 - 05/11/09 12:26 PM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: Jami]
Lynne from CT Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Connecticut
Oh yeah . . . I'm going through this right now and have been for the past two weeks. I also use a heating pad but I don't know where to put it first front, back, or sides . . . it's awful!! I have never had a flare this bad since I started with AS symptoms many years ago. At times it's even hard for me to take a breath and forget about taking a deep breath . . . yikes and when I do my ribs have popped. I'm going to get my heating pad right now. Just think of the skeleton in the cartoons whose ribs are used as a xylophone . . . yikes again. Peace. L.

#142608 - 05/11/09 01:59 PM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: Lynne from CT]
Emil_W Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: IL
Im so glad you all have posted this, My PCP doesnt belive that my chest can hurt that bad....Im going to print all this out so she can see that im not crazy and others are dealing with too. I dont think that she know much about AS.

#142614 - 05/11/09 03:59 PM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: ]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Sequoia,
Not sure about it being from surgery. It comes and goes in waves and severity. It got real bad earlier. I did notice it start to hurt on my sternum and my left side too. Almost like every rib- front and back and my sternum hurt. Then the pain went to my middle upper spine for a few minutes and back to the usual place on my ribs. I fell asleep before that and woke up hurting so bad on my right ribs I couldn't move. It was awful. Right now the pain seems to have abated a bit. I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. I see my surgeon again on Thursday afternoon about that stitch my body was rejecting. I will probably mention to him the rib pain on the right side. Even if it is not related at least I can hear him tell me that for sure.

#142615 - 05/11/09 04:05 PM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: Cosmololo]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

I am sorry you all are experiencing this pain as well but it helps to know I am not some weirdo and the only one experiencing it. Breathing does hurt sometimes but only with deep breaths that move my ribs. Any kind of movement or physical touching of my front and back ribs is horrible. It is like having a vice grip around my upper body from the bottom of my ribs up. I think that might best explain it.

#142636 - 05/11/09 07:04 PM Re: Rib Pain in the back and front? [Re: Cosmololo]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
sometimes my ribs really hurt at the back - and there's definitely muscle spasm associated with it

this article may be of interest, towards the end you will see a bit about a woman called Juliette Leach who says singing has helped her AS symptoms
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/5296551/Sing-your-way-to-happiness.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved