Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142977 - 05/16/09 08:26 PM Dry mouth, eyes, and nose
KellyChristal
Unregistered

I am pretty sure there is another autoimmune disease out there that causes you to have dry eyes, and dry mouth, and dry mucous in your nose, has anyone heard of this before? I am having all of these symptoms pretty bad, even a nose bleed tonight, but I am not sure if it is all from medication side effects or another underlying condition. Any input is appreciated. Thanks...Kelly

#142983 - 05/16/09 10:05 PM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: ]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
I think its called Sjorgren's Syndrome. My eye doctor suspects I may also have this. Said its as if you are dry from the inside out.

#142986 - 05/16/09 11:18 PM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: aslee9]
Mark D Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Austin, TX
That's right. Sjögren's Syndrome is mainly a problem of the tear ducts and salivary glands being attacked by your immune system, which affects their performance and leaves you with chronic dry eyes and/or a very dry mouth. Although some people have it as their primary disease, it is a syndrome -- a grouping of symptoms -- that often shows up in others who have some other primary autoimmune disease. I have AS and also the Sjögren's symptoms of chronic dry eye and dry mouth. For the eyes, Restasis is very effective. For the mouth, I just always have something to drink right next to me at all times (preferably just water).

#143006 - 05/17/09 09:24 AM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: Mark D]
mcm Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia, USA
I've also been given a clinical diagnosis of Sjogren's by my rheum., I tested negative on the blood test though. The eye doctor simply told my I had classic dry eye. I also take Tramadol and a big side-effect is dry mouth.
The eye doc. recommended the eye scrubs - you can buy pre-moistened pads to wash under your lash line or use baby shampoo and cotton pads and to use the preservative free eye drops. That's enough for me so haven't had to get prescript.
I've had to resort to swabbing inside nose with olive oil and sometimes neosporin cause it gets so dry and sore, but this is my own home remedy, you should ask your doc.

#143061 - 05/17/09 08:10 PM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: mcm]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Well, I guess this is what is going on with me. So someone mentioned a blood test for this syndrome? I will ask my new rheumy next week when I go...I am not sue if i have it, but man I have the symptoms...like I said, it could be side effects from medications, Heaven knows I take enough of them, but lately it has become very bothersome and noticeable by others...the dry mouth mainly, and I had yet another nose bleed because it was so dry in there. My eyes are ALWAYS dry, but I thought that way because of my LASIC surgery. I will post an update after i talk to the rheumy. Do most of you get this illness secondary to the AS? Aslee, Mark and mcm, were you AS first or sjogren's? And how long after did the second diagnosis come?

#143072 - 05/17/09 09:06 PM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: ]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I know someone with Sjogrens, another symptom is fatigue

my nose dries out when I fly, sometimes enough to make it bleed, so now I use this nasal spray which really helps
http://www.fess.com.au/products.6

#143076 - 05/18/09 12:03 AM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: winelover]
Rach Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Michigan, USA
The blood test will only be positive for primary Sjogren's.
If the dryness is secondary to another condition, eg spondylitis, it will be negative. Officially if you don't have the gene then nowadays it's called "sicca syndrome", but many docs still call it secondary Sjogren's.

My experiences:
- Dry eyes - my opthalmologist cauterized my tear ducts, put me on Restasis eye drops, and gave me a course of doxycycline once to clear blocked meibomian glands (= tear glands that produce an oily film to stop the eyes drying).

- Dry mouth and throat/hoarseness - Biotene products help including the chewing gum.
I take Evoxac to stimulate my salivary glands.
Also I have consulted a vocal health clinic about how to avoid damaging my voice. They advised things like never shouting above background noise etc, limiting my singing, and recommended Throat Coat tea and pastilles which are also helpful.

- Dry nose - Simple saline spray is helpful,

Dry air is the enemy for all of these problems, so use a humidifier when the air is dry, avoiding blowing air from car vents etc, and avoiding a/c

There is great information on the Sjogren's syndrome foundation website
http://www.sjogrens.org/

Do look into the possibility of medication side effects too. I find that OxyIR is very drying, and cannot take it if I am singing or in a social setting and need to talk a lot.

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson

#143087 - 05/18/09 06:33 AM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: Rach]
Mark D Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Austin, TX
AS definitely came first for me. The dry eye became a real problem much later, about 7 or 8 years ago, after I had AS for about 20 years. At first I had no idea it was an autoimmune problem and had only heard of iritis or uveitis as the eye problems to look for. The dry mouth probably came on at the same time but it is easier to miss. That is because whoever has it just gets into the habit of always having a drink nearby and it feels normal, even though it is not. I did not hear about Sjögrens and the link between the dry eye and dry mouth until after I moved and switched both rheumy and eye doctor. That is when I woke up and realized I had dry mouth too. My overall AS condition got worse as these two new problems developed -- it is all related and has been discussed here before, but I fear a lot of people out there still do not know that if you have AS you are at high risk for developing dry eye syndrome and also dry mouth, though the eye problem seems more common.

#143126 - 05/18/09 05:14 PM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: Mark D]
mcm Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hey,
Rach - thanks for info - sicca syndrome is what my rheum. put down on diagnosis but she didn't explain the secondary vs. primary as it relates to blood test; the first doctor who did blood test was neurologist and when it came back neg. he totally blew off all my symptoms.
KellyChristal - my symptoms came on at the same time, dry eye, light sensitivity, eye pain along with joint pain in hands and arm. As the joint pain moved to the rest of my body, my eyes have actually gotten better, but if i'm feeling especially crappy, my eyes do too.

#143130 - 05/18/09 06:38 PM Re: Dry mouth, eyes, and nose [Re: mcm]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
Sjorgren's definitely came later.

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved