mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oklahoma
If it walks lie a duck......

#143501 - 05/22/09 09:36 PM Re: HLA B27 [Re: mrye4709]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
true - I'm sure there's a good 'quack' joke that would fit in here, maybe Spenser can help out?

#143509 - 05/23/09 12:45 AM Re: HLA B27 [Re: winelover]
Mark D Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Austin, TX
Sag, you can definitely have AS before it shows up on radiology, but many doctors won't give a final diagnosis until they see signs of it on film (x-ray or MRI). I can testify that you can have very bad inflammation and pain and little sign of it on the films. Pay attention to your CRP blood test. That usually tells you and your doctor more about the current state of inflammation. The way I see it, once the inflammatory process starts you have the disease. It shows up on x-rays only after physical damage to your joints has been done. This can happen in a few months or it can take more than 10 years. Everybody is different. Some just get shadows and lesions, others get obvious fusion of bones. But generally it takes years to show up. If you are a woman you are much more likely to get misdiagnosed or given a tentative diagnosis because of bias that AS is mainly a man's disease (and more so if you are B27 negative). As long as you can get the proper medicines, having or not having the diagnosis does not mean a lot at the end of the day. In fact, if you do not have a diagnosis, but you get better after taking NSAIDs, then that is one more evidence that you have a rheumatic disease. Some doctors hold off on the DX until they see how you respond to therapy for a few months.

#143519 - 05/23/09 06:40 AM Re: HLA B27 [Re: Mark D]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
A bone scan too. Thats the only images ive ever had.

#143827 - 05/26/09 09:59 AM Re: HLA B27 [Re: NWbrooktrout]
sag Offline
Registered Visitor

mrye4709,
U know what...My Rheumatologist told me the same saying.... u reminded me of him. I guess we all speak in same language.
THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME OUT HERE.

#143889 - 05/26/09 02:54 PM Re: HLA B27 [Re: sag]
sag Offline
Registered Visitor

My rheumatatologist has asked me to take 200MG of Ibuprofen every day. I do consider it as pain killer and I see his approach is not to cure me but to reduce my pains.He considers it as very small dose.I have started consuming it since after my first appointment. My stiffness has been almost nullified and buring has been lowered (but not enough).I have read that Ibuprofen has side effects on body in long run. Do 200MG of Ibuprofen can cause side effects after consuming for years ?

#143917 - 05/26/09 06:38 PM Re: HLA B27 [Re: sag]
TennisAce Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ
Sometimes they start you on something to be diagnostic. Positive response to NSAIDs show inflammation is occuring, not only an anagesiac effect.

Both of my children are negative for the gene. Both of them have normal bloodwork. Both of them show no changes on films. Both of have received not an AS diagnosis but an undiff spondy diagnosis orginally and now tending toward PsA. Both despite all normal tests, have responded well to spondy Dmards, indicating an inflammatory issue.

#143919 - 05/26/09 06:46 PM Re: HLA B27 [Re: TennisAce]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
200mg of ibuprofen is not high - that's one Advil

#143933 - 05/26/09 09:18 PM Re: HLA B27 [Re: winelover]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
How was it that you got diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis??? What ARE your symptoms.
Glad your not in the pain so many are. But if you have AS you want to look at keeping your body in good condition or you can be damaging yourself by waiting !!!!
Make sure that doc of yours is watching your bones It can cause much irreversable damage in little as 3 months to a year. It happens.

#143967 - 05/27/09 09:46 AM Re: HLA B27 [Re: NWbrooktrout]
sag Offline
Registered Visitor

NWbrooktrout,
1. HLA B-27 Positive
2. High ESR ( 22 )
2. Morning stiffness
3. Lower back pain, ribs pain.
4. hip and legs burning

My rheumy used the old saying for my diagnosis. He said " If it walks like duck.. it is duck. You have AS". He said that even though my MRI and X-RAYS doent show anything. Yes, I started taking care of my body now, irrespective I have AS or not.

Right now I am following below mentioned course to keep me on top

1. One Ibuprofen/ Day ( 200mg)
2. Twice excercise
3. Night walk.

Ibuprofen has brought down my stiffness almost to NULL but burning is somehow not reducing. Then can it be possible that burning is because of different reason and not because of AS?

Please guide.
Thanks
Sagar.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved