Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#146510 - 06/19/09 11:16 AM Pain under left arm in rib cage
KellyChristal
Unregistered

I have an achy pain under left arm, where my bra line is, but also where my rib cage is. It aches, but it doesn't hurt to touch. I cannot feel any lumps, or bumps, or anything besides my ribs when I touch it. It is just sore. Does this kind of ache happen to anyone else? Does anyone know what it could be? It is making me worry a bit, just because I have never had it before and I don't really know what it is..I have been doing quite a bit more physical activity lately, I took my two kids, ages 2 and 3 to the swimming pool the last two days in a row, for 3 hours each day. So that involved me holding both of them a lot. But I had this ache before the swimming, it has just intensified a bit. As a side note, and I don't even want to mention it, but I feel I must, my mother passed at age 45 of breast cancer. She found a lymph node under her right arm that was swollen to the size of a lemon. It hurt her to touch it...it was later removed after a couple rounds of prednisone because doctors thought she was allergic to something. It turned out to be cancer. Well now I have a pain under my arm, but I am sure it is not a lymph node..but what could it be? Sorry, obviously, I am worried because of what happened to my mother...thanks for the help guys!

#146518 - 06/19/09 12:20 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: ]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
If the activity at the pool intensified the pain, given you've been more active in general lately, then I bet it's muscular. I'm sorry about what happened to your mother. I can understand why that would make you worry.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#146519 - 06/19/09 12:23 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: JenInCincy]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
I agree sounds a bit like a pulled muscle. It can happen alot with us as we compensate for one pain we gain another!!!!

#146520 - 06/19/09 12:24 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: NWbrooktrout]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
oh and I know your fear. My mom had breast cancer but I'm proud to say she's still with us but that don't make me any less scared!!

#146533 - 06/19/09 01:32 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: NWbrooktrout]
TennisAce Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ
I had the same pain. I went in to the internest and I really thought I had a big issue. Diagnosed with costcho, and I don't even have an arthritis diagnosis just my kids.

#146540 - 06/19/09 02:55 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: TennisAce]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies everyone...and for the sentiments over my mother. Now, if it is muscular, are there muscles under the arm right there, because all I feel are ribs. IF it is costcho, what other symptoms would I possibly have? I am worried, possibly for no reason, but it is still achy, but like said previously, some muscles over compensate when needed. I just dont feel a muscle there.

#146565 - 06/19/09 09:09 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: ]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: KellyChristal
I have an achy pain under left arm, where my bra line is, but also where my rib cage is. It aches, but it doesn't hurt to touch. I cannot feel any lumps, or bumps, or anything besides my ribs when I touch it. It is just sore. Does this kind of ache happen to anyone else? Does anyone know what it could be?..........

Yes! though when mine is aching it also hurts to touch
my rheumatologist and my massage lady both said it is a trigger point
sometimes it REALLY hurts, maybe for several days or a week, then it can go for days or weeks without hurting at all - I don't know what sets it off

#146574 - 06/19/09 09:33 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: winelover]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

thanks winelover..I am glad someone else feels it too...but I wish I knew what it was!

#146770 - 06/22/09 07:44 PM Re: Pain under left arm in rib cage [Re: ]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

So, this pain is still there, hurting me..and it is to the point where I cannot where a bra. Also, I am having breast pain, on the same side as the rib pain. Would I bring this up to a PCP? I am starting to worry now, since it has now been about a month since it began. Also, the pain is kind of a burning pain...like it feels like it is a topical sunburn type pain, but when I touch it it is deeper inside my body, either in my ribcage or lungs. I giess I am just venting..I am scared.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved