Spondylitis Association of America
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#148783 - 07/13/09 08:11 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: TennisAce]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
My popping is more like only I hear it not so much that its loud that its heard by others. And i get lots from between the shoulder blades on up. i assume its those nasty bone spurrs and im keeping from eventually fusing by mobility?? which will include some noise? I dont believe its real harmfull as it can hapen in normal standing up straight movement. I'll put it on my list to ask rhuemy.

#148784 - 07/13/09 08:13 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: TennisAce]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
TA, I didn't mean to say the popping is ONLY from OA ... not at all. I know you are correct with what you are describing as the other sources of "popping." Sorry I wasn't clear. Crepitus (crackling and grinding, not really a popping sensation or noise) is more strongly linked to OA.

Brenda, mag citrate, WOW!! My daughter had to use that for her colonoscopy clean-out! Is there a particular benefit to that formulation versus magnesium capsules?
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#148794 - 07/13/09 09:21 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: JenInCincy]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
Jen, the benefit to mag citrate is that it is relatively inexpensive compared to other forms. If you look at the label on your capsules, you might find that they are mag citrate (citrate comes in capsules and pills as well as powder). Or it could be a combination. I have used one that is a combination of orotate, oxide, aspartate and citrate. But in the recommended dosage, citrate has only a mild laxative effect. For bowel purges, they use 12,000 mg vs the 900 mg that is a normal daily dosage. If anyone has stools that are too loose with taking citrate 300-400 mg at a time, I would recommend that they try a different form of magnesium.

I bet that big dose of mag citrate did really clean things out, though!

Brenda

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#148796 - 07/13/09 09:39 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: poodlegirl]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the info Brenda! Yeah, the cleanouts are good "clean" fun! (NOT!!!) Happily it is NOT a regular event!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#148798 - 07/13/09 09:48 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: JenInCincy]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

I was going to take magnesium but i read that it can have an adverse effect for my blood pressure..... i know it was 1 adverse effect am i remembering right? So I chose not to suppliment with it.

#148804 - 07/13/09 10:05 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: NWbrooktrout]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Hmmm. Magnesium is supposed to lower your blood pressure. So if you are on a blood pressure med, you would have to monitor so that it didn't go too low. Is that what you read?

Brenda

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#148811 - 07/13/09 10:24 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: poodlegirl]
MissT Offline
Registered Visitor

Very interesting thread! I'm curious about the mag citrate helping anxiety, I think I'll try that out!

My ankles have always crackled and popped (def. crepitus)so much that I walk like Frankenstein after I put my kids down to sleep to try to avoid waking them popping!! I can barely prevent them from popping and sometimes it's just inevitable. Usually it feels okay, but sometimes (depending on if it is a dull pop or a higher pitched pop) it does hurt a great deal.

#148821 - 07/13/09 10:51 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: MissT]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

ya basically its my being on the blood pressure meds.

#148852 - 07/13/09 11:58 AM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: NWbrooktrout]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

One thing to check out before you try the magnesium (or any other vitamin, mineral or supplement). Ask your doctor or pharmacist if it interacts with anything you are currently taking. I googled and found a list of possible interactions at the link below. One interesting thing that I didn't know is that it can increase the action of muscle relaxants.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplement...tName=MAGNESIUM

Brenda

#148941 - 07/13/09 07:31 PM Re: "Popping" Your Back [Re: poodlegirl]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
Love the link Brenda. Thanks for providing it. I was able to look up my B12 the doc has put me on and my B complex not to mention my prescription D I take. I never knew certain medications could interact with these vitamins. I also was curious as to the dosing for most people which this provided.

As for popping, I pop everywhere and very audibly. I do have crunching/crackling but that doesn't happen as often. My neck pops quite often as does my spine. It usually provides pain relief when I pop those areas. If I need to pop my neck and I cannot I usually end up with a severe headache or migraine. It actually makes my family cringe when I pop my neck.

Edited by Cosmololo (07/13/09 07:33 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved