Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#149777 - 07/18/09 02:26 PM feeling like a fire ant is biting me
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
I'm just curious if anyone has this sensation that I do. Sometimes I have to look at my feet to make sure that a fire ant (or anything else) is not biting me. Because it feels like something is.

I have had this symptom off and on for over 15 years. The primary doctor that I told about it said I shouldn't worry about it. That it was just a sensory nerve anomoly. So I started ignoring it. I was ignoring it alot one night while I was fixing dinner until I finally looked down and I WAS being bitten by fire ants! They had come in the back door (which was right by the kitchen) and were biting me. So now I always check when I have the feeling to make sure that nothing is really biting me. But I still wonder why I have the symptom at all.

Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Brenda

peripheral spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#149809 - 07/18/09 08:09 PM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: poodlegirl]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
I too get a similar feeling in my legs, usually in my lower legs and feet. Ask my family, they have finally begun to ignore me when I say, "it feels like something is biting me". The sensation goes away when I touch or run my hand across the area with the feeling. It happens so dang often I just rub my leg or touch it and go about my way. I don't always look any more. I have no idea why it happens though.

Kind of a strange feeling to have. I had never heard anyone else say they had the same thing!

#149833 - 07/19/09 02:24 AM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: Cosmololo]
Charlie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I hope you won't mind me laughing at the irony of you actually BEING bitten by a fire ant!

Sorry to say can't be any help regarding the symptom.

37, Female, Psoriatic Spondylitis
www.charliefoulkes.com

#149834 - 07/19/09 03:58 AM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: Charlie]
astrologynut Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Stuck in vortex of dystopian, ...
I dont get the sensation of a fire ant biting me but i have been getting weird sensations in my lower legs for quite a while now. Sort of a burning yet numb pain (yes I know that sounds contradictory but it is how it feels - its hard to explain and describe). I mentioned it to the rheumatology nurse when I saw her in clinic recently and she spoke to the rheumatologist about it. Next time I see my rheumatologist in october they are going to do some neurological exams just to be safe.

Warm Regards
Oliver

Infliximab (Remicade), Morphine Sulphate, Omeprazole, Fluoxetine, Diclofenac, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Metoclopramide, Lyrica.

#149890 - 07/19/09 10:01 AM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: astrologynut]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Oliver, I get the exact same sensation in my legs, only down the back side of them, and it is constant. My doctor went in and did steroid injections under x-ray guidance and told me I have pinched nerves that is making my legs hurt...is it possible you too have nerves pinching making your legs hurt as well? Is your pain constant or intermittent? I am sorry you are having this type of pain in addition to the other...it is not fun at all.

#149904 - 07/19/09 11:13 AM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: ]
ANMANWAR Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
OH MY GOSH!! How terrible to look down and see that you were being bitten by fire ants!!! OOH that made me cringe!!!
Hugs Annette

#149910 - 07/19/09 11:33 AM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: ANMANWAR]
astrologynut Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Stuck in vortex of dystopian, ...
My pain is more intermittent, kelly, in the sense that it sort of flares like my AS does. It will come on for a few weeks at a time then go.

My own guess is that it may be restless legs syndrome but given my AS I remain open minded as to what is causing it. It could be nerve related as you suggest. Unless it becomes a more consistent thing I aren't going to worry too much about it and see what happens when they do the neurological exam at clinic in october.

Warm Regards
Oliver

Infliximab (Remicade), Morphine Sulphate, Omeprazole, Fluoxetine, Diclofenac, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Metoclopramide, Lyrica.

#149918 - 07/19/09 12:25 PM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: astrologynut]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
Charlie, I agree. Thank you for noticing the humor of it! With hindsight, it is funny.

Annette, thanks for the hugs! Says something about our ability to manage pain, doesn't it?

Cosmo, I am glad to know that I am not the only, too! But I think you should always look. I am proof that sometimes something is biting you!

Oliver and Kelly, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with something similar. The body can really do some weird stuff.

Brenda

peripheral spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#149921 - 07/19/09 12:42 PM Re: feeling like a fire ant is biting me [Re: poodlegirl]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Brenda...it is kind of funny, what are the odds right? Fire ants are some mean bugs! That kind of pain seems awful! I am not sure i could ignore constant fire ant bites!!! More power to you though. Oh, and I agree, our bodies are very weird! Good luck to both of you, Oliver and Brenda, hopefully the leg pain goes away, it isnt nice having it on top of the AS!

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved