Spondylitis Association of America
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#152160 - 08/06/09 09:15 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: ]
SHERRYC Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi! I have pain under my left arm (by the rib) which radiates into the left breast. It is a burning pain which comes and goes at a almost constant rate. I can't even wear my tops that touch that area of my arm. I take my arm out of the left arm hole. I had a chest X-Ray today although I don't know what that will show. I don't feel a lump, swelling, or a rash. I have diabetes and several other chronic illnesses so I just hope this is something treatable. Is this a famiiar complaint of anyone and what did you do? Thanks, Sherry

#152162 - 08/06/09 09:57 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: SHERRYC]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
could be the ribs fusing.

#152211 - 08/07/09 06:21 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: ]
canadianeh Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Canada
Could it be a problem with your thoracic spine radiating around the rib towards the front of your chest? The vertebral bone involvement in spondyloarthropathy can put pressure on the nerves that lie under the ribs. Does touching any of your vertebrae hurt? Does it hurt when you take a deep breath? An ultrasound may help, but if you dont have any lumps palpable it might not be helpful. Wait and see how the mammogram goes.
Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy (HLA B27 +)Dx Jan 08,on flurbiprofen (Froben), pantoprazole. One THR (other pending),episcleritis,peripheral and axial arthritis. Recently stopped Enbrel due to skin rash. Humira stopped due to double vision

#152232 - 08/08/09 08:06 AM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: canadianeh]
SHERRYC Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the repsonse. I am having the pain right now. I am going to get more testing done. The pain is now affecting my back too. At first I thought it was a complication of diabetis but I am now thinking it is unrelated. I appreciate the infor. about the thoracic spine. It does not seem to be affecting my vertebrae. SherryC

#152276 - 08/08/09 10:32 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: SHERRYC]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

SO I went in today, I am scheduled to have an ultrasound of my breast. He also ran a bunch of blood work to see why I am leaking breastmilk. He did not feel anything, so he does think the burning pain is probably fusing and AS related, but if the ultrasound picks up anything he said that is when he will send me for a mammogram. As far as the periods go...he put me on some strong hormones to try to get me to have a cleansing period in the next ten days...I am to write down any bleeding that i have. I go back to him in three weeks. If I do not bleed in those three weeks, then I have to have a vaginal ultrasound. Then he will be worried. He might want to do an exploratory surgery then if it is warranted. He was very perplexed by everything. He was also mad at me. I have known this doctor for 16 years, my uncle built his house, and he is practically family...he seemed worried because he did not know why I was not having periods when i have endometriosis and usually bleed all the time. He also does not like breast discharge or breast pain. SO I will keep everyone updated.

#152290 - 08/09/09 09:29 AM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: ]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Hope you get that all figured out it is possible that your hormones are also accelerating the AS effects causing you more pain.

#152314 - 08/09/09 05:01 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: NWbrooktrout]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

I am certain the imbalance in hormones is causing more pain...the key and problem is going to be to figure out what is causing the hormone imbalance, and how I can fix it. Thank you, I appreciate the well wishes.

#152341 - 08/10/09 10:18 AM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: ]
sequoia
Unregistered

kelly, i don't usually view this but saw your name on a number of posts here and read. here is a possibility.

yes, i had tons of estrogen, measured in the blood, and NO periods. it isn't a good situation, but it turned out to be poly cystic ovaries, where your ovaries produce the ovum, but they don't ripen and cause a period. this is a precursor of type 2 diabetes, and is in fact another autoimmune disease, called insulin resistance. if you are taking preddy, even at different times it can really mess up the insulin levels, which i guess mess up the estrogen levels or something like that. i am trying through diet and meds and exercise to prevent having to take insulin. so far so good.

look up polycystic ovary syndrome. it is common in women, and even more common in those of us with other autoimmune problems.

prayers and peace, s.

#152356 - 08/10/09 12:43 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: ]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

Thanks Sequoia...I will look it up..i have heard about it, but have had endometriosis my entire life, so i am very confused. Thanks for the advice though!

#152363 - 08/10/09 06:34 PM Re: Breast/under Arm Pain [Re: ]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperprolactinemia
Peek in on this it kinda descibes what your going through?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved