10/14/09 01:33 PM
10/14/09 01:33 PM
C
Cheryl59 Offline OP
First time visitor
Cheryl59  Offline OP
First time visitor
C

My husband's first flare was a week before our wedding. It wasn't diagnosed until 2-3 years later. We've been married 25 years. Someone mentioned about a sense of humor and that is exactly what has gotten us through. However, there are days that I really think he could benefit from an antidepressant. He hasn't refused, but doesn't like the idea of being on a medication all the time. Has anyone else tried an antidepressant and has it helped?

Thank you.

Re: Depression Medications [Re: Cheryl59] #159293
10/17/09 07:58 PM
10/17/09 07:58 PM
Toronto, Canada
Judy N Offline
Registered Visitor
Judy N  Offline
Registered Visitor

Toronto, Canada
Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to the Forum. Even though you are asking about your hubby, try posting in the main board - the General Message Board - you will get lots of replies. Sometimes these specific forums get overlooked - especially when the main board is busy.

To get you started - yes, antidepressants can help. I have been on Prozac for many years (since it first came out) and it has helped me with 'nerve pain' - fibromaylagia-type pain. Plus it helps 'cushion' the brain from the constant stimulation of pain receptors due to chronic pain. It's really helped me a lot with no ill effects.

There are many different antidepressants, and they do work differently AND have different results in patients. So it can be tricky to find the right one, but when you do, it's worth it. I've tried a few others, but for me Prozac helps with no side effects, so I've stayed with it.

A new one for chronic pain is Cymbalta. This is the one my Primary Care doctor is prescribing now as a part of a pain management regimen, and he's quite knowledgeable with Pain Management. (I didn't like the initial side effects, so I stopped it and went back to my Prozac.)

hope this helps - don't forget to post on the main board!

Judy

Revelation 21:4

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan