Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160108 - 10/26/09 06:45 AM What cause legs and back got give out?
lynnelott Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
I am having a bad flare up in my back and legs. I get like I am locked up at times and then at other times my legs and back give out and I have been lucky to catch my self falling. What cause this?

#160110 - 10/26/09 06:53 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: lynnelott]
astrologynut Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Stuck in vortex of dystopian, ...
If its your knee suddenly locking up then that sounds like a possible cartiledge tear maybe. Can you fully straighten your leg at the knee or is that impossible? If you cant straighten it fully and its the knee locking up then that may be indicative of the cartiledge problem. Other than that nothing else spring to mind lynnelot. Maybe someone else will have ideas.

Warm Regards
Oliver

Infliximab (Remicade), Morphine Sulphate, Omeprazole, Fluoxetine, Diclofenac, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Metoclopramide, Lyrica.

#160113 - 10/26/09 07:01 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: astrologynut]
lynnelott Offline
Registered Visitor

It is not my knees. It is my back I think giving out causing my legs to collapse. Other times I am frozen in pain with my back.

#160114 - 10/26/09 07:08 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: lynnelott]
poodlegirl Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
Have you ever been checked to see if you have a disc problem? They asked me about this symptom when they discovered that I have a bulged and torn disc (fortunately, I don't have this problem).

It could be a disc problem causing a nerve problem that is causing both your back pain and your leg to go out. I think you should have it checked out. You should definitely call your doctor if you are having your legs collapse causing you to fall. That is not something to simply tolerate.

Brenda

peripheral spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, naproxen 500 mg, 2x/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, diabetes, sleep apnea.

#160116 - 10/26/09 07:23 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: poodlegirl]
jackieb Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Saltville
I have fallen several times due to the fact my legs just go numb and give out. The last time I felt really smart and was weedeating the bank behind the house. The next thing I knew I was face down on the ground with the weed eater right beside me. That was and will be the last day I weed eat. I do have disc problems along with scolosis and AS so I have a very complicated back. I have not gone to the dr because they will only want to do more tests and I will get the same answers. But if you have not seen the dr please make an appointment.

#160128 - 10/26/09 08:39 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: jackieb]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
"frozen with pain" is usually a muscle spasm which can happen as a counter to deeper pain or injury inside the spine.

The sense of the leg collapse, I agree, could be related to a pinched nerve in your back. Could be part of spondy disease or a separate thing. It's worth calling the doc about.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#160132 - 10/26/09 08:56 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: JenInCincy]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

I have this problem occasionally and it is caused from my L4-L5 discs bulging and beginning the fusion process. So i would wonder if you too have disc problems?

#160143 - 10/26/09 10:07 AM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: ]
NWbrooktrout Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: east of Seattle, WA
Im kind of the opposite. my knees shake so bad and weak, especially going down stairs, i wonder how i even make it!

#160158 - 10/26/09 03:14 PM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: lynnelott]
lynnelott Offline
Registered Visitor

Thank you for all the feedback. I have made an appointment to see my neurologist as I have blown this off too many times and may not be so luckly catching myself next time.

#160165 - 10/26/09 05:41 PM Re: What cause legs and back got give out? [Re: lynnelott]
KellyChristal
Unregistered

fYI, my pain mangement doctor was the one to find my disc problems. He knew instinctively that pain down the back of the legs is related to bad discs. My neurologist was worthless..he could not even rid me of my almost daily migraines. All he wanted to do was add ten more drugs to my ever expanding list. No thanks. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved