Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#165798 - 01/22/10 08:23 PM Weird Idea, but it worked for me
drsuse Offline
Registered Visitor

I suffer from AS in my hips, pelvis, loer back and neck. My neck I can live with, but my wife decided to have me try something that she used to do as a dancer (floor show, not erotic). She told me that when her legs ached from dancing, that she would sleep in smaller tights to relax them. She swore that it took the achiness from them. After several months of harping at me to try it, she found an old pair of our daughter's tights, and nagged me into trying them on. Immediately, I could feel the aches in my legs being moreless massaged when I laid down, every time I moved my legs, the tights would re-position themselves, causing the muscles to shift ever so slightly, alleviating the aches from my pelvis to me feet, including the soles of my feet from my walking stride being what it is. I know it might sound perverted, but isn't it the same process of support hose for men, except that it's full leg and feet? I now go to bed in a pair of heavy tights every night, and do not have to suffer from tossing and turning all night from the pain in my legs, feet and pelvis. This might not work for everyone, and some might poo-poo the idea, but all I know is that it makes me sleep comfortable for the first time in years. Men, and ladies, please, if you suffer from almost intolerable leg cramps and pain, just give this a try. It doesn't cure anything, just a quick fix.
signed,
A Now Restful Sleeper

#167291 - 02/09/10 12:54 PM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: drsuse]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Sounds pragmatic, not perverted. Glad it helped!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#167296 - 02/09/10 01:47 PM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: JenInCincy]
drsuse Offline
Registered Visitor

TY you very much for your opinion. I was beginning to get worried that everyone else thought it was just too weird and wouldn't leave a comment. I appreciate your comment for the positive. Again, thank you very much.

#167402 - 02/11/10 03:54 PM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: drsuse]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I have used support pantyhose to help when my legs hurt or when my legs or feet would swell. I thought they really helped.
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#190990 - 12/02/10 08:26 PM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: avonldy]
mel2nc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NC
Definitely something to try....I have always hated pantyhose and tights, but it might be worth it if my legs really start to hurt.

Melissa in NC--43 yo working mother of 2 elementary kids and wife to a great hubby!

Dx: AS in 2009, moderately severe uveitis,gastroparesis.

Humira 40mg (twice a month), Methotrexate 20mg, Flexeril, Ibuprofen, Prilosec, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, and anti-inflammatory eye drops.

#191289 - 12/06/10 09:46 AM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: mel2nc]
BigStu Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I've heard of this therapy...it is called the Joe Namath leg massage:)

#271546 - 05/31/15 11:36 AM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: drsuse]
uplate Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Sydney, NSW
Anyone tried compression sportswear? Like they wear for football or hockey? I use the long shorts in women's support garments, the ones to hold in everything that go under clothes.

#272875 - 12/16/15 08:17 AM Re: Weird Idea, but it worked for me [Re: drsuse]
jasonpaul Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MN
They do this sort of thing in hospitals to keep your circulation going, as well with people with paralysis. Sometimes it will be a giant fabric cuff that inflates with air, sometimes weighted apparel. It's similar to those heavy tight cozies people and animals are given in various therapies.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan