Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172151 - 04/15/10 09:21 PM Enthesitis?
Barbara57 Offline
Registered Visitor

I was diagnosed with AS a few months ago and I have a question about enthesitis. I will frequently have pain in an arm or leg, foot, ankle, etc. that lasts for several hours or a day and then disappears for a while only to come back days or weeks later. It doesn't feel like it's in a joint. Does this sound like enthesitis? Are there any imaging tests that show where you have it? It feels different than the ongoing pain I get from the SI joints.

#172153 - 04/15/10 09:41 PM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: Barbara57]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
AS doesn't only attack joints cry it could be enthesitis, tendonitis, bursitis, a muscle spasm or referred pain
isn't AS great? crazy

Edited by winelover (04/15/10 09:42 PM)

#172165 - 04/15/10 10:50 PM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: winelover]
taberge Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Sulphur,La. USA
Enthesitis is the inflammation of the points to which tendons attach muscle to the bone. It is really not feasible to scan for this because you would have to have an MRI with contrast to identify active inflammation. Simply identifying the points and treating them outright is WAY cheaper than an MRI.

My shoulder is my main problem with this. When it is bad, it hurts to use my shoulder to lift things because the strain on using certain muscles causes pain. It feels like a sprained shoulder. When it is really bad, it feels like a frozen shoulder injury.

#172184 - 04/16/10 07:16 AM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: taberge]
Kentucky_Girl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Central Kentucky
i've had all different kinds of pain. sharp pains, burning pains, tingling pains, dull aching pains, pains that hurt when i move, pains that hurt when i rest, you get the picture.

i learned that the inflammation can affect darn near anything it wants. at different times i had tendonitis, carpal tunnel, bursistis, plantar fasciaitis, enthesitis, and pinched nerves.

my doctor could always tell on exam which area the problem was coming from by pressing on different spots. when i said i my hip hurt, he pressed and it didn't hurt, then he moved lower and i jumped. bursitis, he said. no other scans or x-rays were necessary.

hope you start feeling better.

#172298 - 04/16/10 09:02 PM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: Kentucky_Girl]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: Kentucky_Girl
i've had all different kinds of pain........ burning pains, tingling pains,.....

oh yeah, I forgot to list those
tingling or numbness can mean a pinched nerve
if I get tingling in the thigh, that's usually a problem with the lumbar facet joints

burning is usually nerve pain - if I get burning in my arm I know it's time for some PT on my neck

#172316 - 04/17/10 06:39 AM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: winelover]
Kentucky_Girl Offline
Registered Visitor

same for me, when my arm really hurts and is tingling and my fingers get numb i know i have a pinched nerve in my neck and need to get taken care of.

#172334 - 04/17/10 09:54 AM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: Kentucky_Girl]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
Sometimes I feel like I am wearing rubber gloves. I can do things with my hands, it just feels "funny".
Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#172400 - 04/18/10 01:16 AM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: avonldy]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

I thought of some more - iritis/uveitis, plantar fasciitis, sacroiliitis, iliitis condensans, colitis, and most important of all BUTTITIS! laugh

#172413 - 04/18/10 08:08 AM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: winelover]
Kentucky_Girl Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: winelover
I thought of some more - and most important of all BUTTITIS! laugh

ROFL - this needs to go with the description of growing the tail. it's the perfect name for it!

#172469 - 04/18/10 05:20 PM Re: Enthesitis? [Re: Kentucky_Girl]
seven86 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
It's one of my biggest problems with AS. I get it everywhere and it moves around like yours. I even get nodules on my tendons. So far though, the weekly shot of Humira is helping. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved