Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#249437 - 03/06/13 09:10 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

Quick update: Rheumie looked at the MRI and determined mild active inflamation. That, in conjunction with my recent flares, makes him want to start me on Humira.

I'm going to start Humira in May, following my change of command and move to a non-deployable TDA position as a BDE S3.

I have another iron in the fire now. I've got a lead on a career change that can easily accomodate a non-deployable guy on a TNF blocker. I already talked to the respective branch manager; and at this point it seems like i'm a shoe in.

I should know prior to the initiation of an MEB for Humira whether or not I've been accepted to that new job. I'll use that new assignment as ammunition to convince the board to find me fit for duty due to the non-deployable nature of my (hopefully) new MOS.

#251912 - 05/08/13 04:56 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

Another quick update: Been on Humira for almost a month now and it's really effective. In fact, I beat my whole company on a quick four mile ruck march this morning. Too bad this stuff renders me non-deployable; I feel like a lieutenant again.

My flight doc grounded me; but said he's not iniating an MEB right away and isn't even sure if that's required at all.

Just waiting for word on a branch transfer at this point. Looks like there is hope for at least a few of us on Active Duty with AS.

#251914 - 05/08/13 06:01 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Good to hear that the Humira is working. Wish they had TNF's back in my day. Sad to hear you won't be flying again though. The one job I could not do when I joined as had to wear glasses.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#260881 - 11/18/13 01:08 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

My most recent SITREP: I've been accepted to my new career field, PCSed, and am now progressing through training. Just met with my new rheumatologist, and he's continuing my treatment without initiaton of an MEB at this time. It looks like AS is not always the death knell of a career. I think the key is being flexible (no pun intended) and looking for ways to continue to add value to your service regardless of your physical limitations. I will probably update this again if/when I begin the MEB process at some point in the unknown future.

#260882 - 11/18/13 01:17 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
That is great to hear!

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#267639 - 07/15/14 12:03 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

A small update and point of interest for folks on flight status: After about a year of review, my flight status waiver for Humira was approved. It's not important to me, as I've already changed careers; but I just wanted to provide a data point for anyone looking for anecdotes about TNFis and flight status.

#277118 - 01/22/17 01:41 PM Re: Looking for advice for Active Duty Army [Re: 60Driver]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

Hello everyone, it has been a few years since I posted anything here and I just realized today that I should provide an update. I PCSed again in mid 2015, and when I arrived at my new assignment, my new PCM reviewed my case history and referred me to an MEB due to my Humira regimen. After an MEB concluding that I was not fit for duty, I was referred to the PEB. The informal PEB (IPEB) also found me not fit for duty and gave me a VA rating of 70%, so I requested a formal, in-person, board (at JBLM). I made my case to the formal board, and after reviewing my medical history, my performance record (I have a strong personnel file), and statements from my branch proponent and some O-6s that I had worked for/with previously, they decided to find me fit-for-duty with deployment limitations. The major factors for their determination were the strength of my file and recommendations as well as the statement from my branch proponent that I could serve effectively in my branch despite my deployment-limiting condition.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan