Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#174579 - 05/16/10 02:14 PM Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol..
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oklahoma
dose pack? I had one about 6 weeks ago and then another with the bronchitis (started it on May 6th). My daughter is getting married next weekend and my husband made plans for the weekend after that to go somewhere (7-8 hr drive each way). I hate to ask my dr, but with the weather I am not great. Little to no stiffness since starting the Enbrel, but still alot of pain. The Medrol packs seem to help me more than anything, 3rd 4th and 5th days are great. No chance of pain dr giving me anything stronger than what I have already, hydrocodone 7.5.... Thought I would ask here before calling my rhuemy. Thanks in advance......

#174585 - 05/16/10 03:58 PM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: mrye4709]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi mrye, i don't personally take them, but have friends who have autoimmune disease who are on low dose DAILY preddy for years, one for over 30 years. i would call the doc, sounds like just the thing. especially with your daughter and the wedding, and then your own trip with hubby. lots to do. i am sure the doc will understand. congrats on the wedding and your trip, and have fun. prayers and peace, s.

#174586 - 05/16/10 04:00 PM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: ]
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks sequoia, hope your doing well....

#174604 - 05/17/10 04:25 AM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: mrye4709]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
I have a standing order for prednesone (medrol) for 5mg and 1mg pills. Anytime I go away I take 5mg for a couple days and then some 1mg. Sorta a mini taper. If you take it only for a week you can just take 5mg a day and then stop. After that, you need to do at least a minor taper.

When I am under treated I have been on 5 or 10mg for a year or more, but over 5mg the side effects are bad.

I think everyone should be able to take steriods for vacations, we deserve a good time.

Anna

#174618 - 05/17/10 07:56 AM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: Banana]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
My rheumy prescribed a bottle of 100 prednisone 5 mg. pills for me to have on hand.

I went to Niagra Falls last week with the school, and there is no way I could have done this trip without it. I started myself on a taper and haven't felt this good in a while. I'm now down to two pills a day, and darn it all, I don't want to stop. LOL I fell on Friday so I'm keeping myself on them for a few extra days, then have to get off completely again.

It is really nice to have a rheumy who understands that life is always changing, and sometimes you need help getting thru it all.

Last year this rheumy gave me a script for 60 pred. and it lasted me all year. (Other than when I was in her office and got steroid injections).

Ask your rheumy for a prescription to keep for emergencies. I did and was pleasantly surprised that the doctor fully supported my need to have it on hand.

Good luck,

Ann

#174633 - 05/17/10 09:46 AM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: aslee9]
lilbluesmurf Offline
Registered Visitor

I have (had) a bottle of 60 with refills that my rhuemy told me to take with me if I go away in case I go into a flare so I don't wind up in the ER. (interesting.....if the pain is that bad I need to take prednisone with me or it will put me in the ER why then the stingys on the pain meds, haha!) Only I need to make an emergency trip to my PCP cuz he is closest and the only one I'm able to get an appt with that fast to get a new prednisone script. I'm out, wish I would have paid more attn to what I had in the med cabinet. I don't take the stuff unless I absolutely have to, I absolutely have to atm!

#174637 - 05/17/10 10:15 AM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: lilbluesmurf]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
My GP is good about giving me Depo Medral shots or Pred when ever I need it. I keep a stash on hand also, my GI want me to keep some on hand in case of a UC flare.
Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#174641 - 05/17/10 12:41 PM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: avonldy]
kera4 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SF Bay Area
I do keep extra prednisone on hand. I am thinking of doing a taper because my hands have been so bad lately. I was thinking of doing 10-10-5-5-4-3-2-1 mg. or 5-5-5-3-2-1. I think it is a good idea for vacation or special occasions that you know will tend to lead to a flare. Enjoy your daughter's wedding! Kera4

#174647 - 05/17/10 02:07 PM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: kera4]
beachbum0064 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: south carolina
My Rhumey keeps me on 5mg daily. I keep a full bottle of them. I still have flairs the last two day's have been kinda bad, but so has the weather. I get so tired of taking so much meds every day. I take 5 pills every morning and on thursday 11 pills. I go monday for my remacade infusion, 1st one. I have been off of humira for six weeks and ready for some relief. What is the best pain meds for ya'll right now I have percoset(spelling) think I would like something different. Good luck with the trip and congrands on the wedding Meyr.

I will take the ankylosing spondilitis, it you just take the pain away.

#174692 - 05/18/10 02:11 AM Re: Does anyone know how often you can take a Medrol.. [Re: beachbum0064]
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

With my rhuem it is like pulling teeth. I know they aren't good and believe me, I don't want to put on extra weight. Sometimes you just got to get the relief they give. Mercy, cometimes I just need that break......

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved