Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#175304 - 05/24/10 09:09 AM Can I apply for SSDI while I'm still working?
kidcoco Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi. I suffer greatly, daily, from S.A.. And I work for people with disabilities on a daily basis. I can barely function for the 1st few hours of my shift until the medications kick it. I get small burst of energy, but the stress and physical toll are difficult to deal with. I wish I could apply for disability but I feel I can't because I need the income to support my family (children too). How can I stop working? I feel like I'd never be approved for SSDI because I go to work everyday. I'll be denied, won't I? If I could get my disability I'd stop working and would be able to focus on my health...but as we all know, in this economy, a pay check is everything. Can someone get SSDI while still employed? Sounds like a tremendous up hill battle and I will probably have to wait until I am completely incapacitated? Advice is so very welcomed! Thank you!

#175343 - 05/24/10 03:37 PM Re: Can I apply for SSDI while I'm still working? [Re: kidcoco]
beachbum0064 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: south carolina
Yes go ahead and apply, I applied Feb 2010 I got a letter that they want me to go see one of there DR's and to get exray's. I hope that is good news. I want to work just do feel that I can do it on a day to day thing, and have someone to count on me to be there at a 100%. When I worked I alway try to give 110% and from the pain now I feel they would not work with me and Dr's apps. I have lost my truck due to the lack of money from losing my job from the bad ecomomy. The answer is yes you can apply while your working. Do yu have all the time in for the point or what ever they call it. Check on line for answers.

I will take the ankylosing spondilitis, it you just take the pain away.

#175345 - 05/24/10 03:48 PM Re: Can I apply for SSDI while I'm still working? [Re: beachbum0064]
beachbum0064 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: south carolina
Make sure you talk to your Dr before filling. They are the biggest help.

I will take the ankylosing spondilitis, it you just take the pain away.

#176242 - 06/03/10 08:33 AM Re: Can I apply for SSDI while I'm still working? [Re: beachbum0064]
Rich Feingold Offline
Disability Attorney & Moderator
Registered Visitor

Loc: My office is in Chicago, howev...
Hi, Kidcoco. I appreciate the predicament that you are in. There is much information that I would need to know before I would presume to tell someone to stop working and apply. In fact, I don't really tell potential clients to stop working. I give information so that people can make an informed decision because it is a very personal decision. Social Security has a process for determining whether or not an individual is disabled. If the individual is not engaging in "substantial gainful activity," SSA will determine if one's severe impairment meets or equals in severity one of SSA's listed impairments. For AS, that means that at least, there must fixation of the dorsolumbar or cervical spine of at least 30 degrees, as well as other requirements. But even if one's impairment does not meet the strict requirements of the listed impairment, then SSA will consider one's past relevant work as well as one's education, transferable skills, age, and residual functional capacity to determine whether or not one is disabled. SSA often defers to vocational and medical advisors in making their determinations, too. So there is a lot involved in the disability determination process and it would be a good idea to speak with an attorney who concentrates in these matters to help determine what might be the next best step for you.

Rich
Disclaimer: Thank you for your questions. Mr. Feingold's comments are offered as a public service, are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice for any specific legal situation or problem that you may have. Please be advised that no attorney-client relationship is created between Richard Feingold and those who post to this website. If you have a legal problem, you should contact an attorney to personally discuss the matter. You may contact Mr. Feingold for resources for finding legal help. Thank you.

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved