Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#177627 - 06/21/10 10:11 AM Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling?
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Georgia
So I am following up again on the recent labs with my rheumy come Wednesday. The second ANA was positive and there are some further dna and diagnostic tests that were done and have to be explained to me. Either way I had to ask this question because I feel so weird asking anyone like a dr. or whatnot.

I have been having really bad headaches again and sometimes fevers on and off (low grade) Not always are they at the same time. I have probably had three low grade fevers (one that was pretty awful out of the three) and during that time I am also getting severe headaches along with neck pain again. i was told a couple months back I was having occipital headaches and that the Lortab I was given would help. Well I had to stop seeing my chiropractor and pain dr. I still have Lortab but it isn't helping my head pain and neck pain anymore. Also my migraine abortive medicine is not working anymore either. I am very limited with what I can have due to medication allergy and hypertension.

So I have been suffering, usually for three days, each time with these massive headaches. I feel like all of my flares are also getting worse esp. with how hot it is. Now when I rub my neck and head it feels weird.

So here is my question. When I rub the back of my head, when it hurts, a lot of times it sort of moves like there is a bubble of fluid on the back of my head- between my skull and my scalp sort of. I rub it and it sort of eases pain for a few seconds. It's at the top of my neck where my head joins sort of. Anyway it's like I can feel a pocket of air or fluid and it just feels really weird. Now either I am really weird or I should mention this to the dr. when I see her Wednesday. (the area is about the size of my palm I would guess)

What do you think?

#177628 - 06/21/10 10:37 AM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: Cosmololo]
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oklahoma
I would definitely mention it. I know nothing about this sort of thing, but my first thought was spinal fluid. I'm not sure why that would even be a thought of mine, lol. I think I read too much, not that I have read those exact words. But I would mention it, it doesn't sound like something I would want to ignore.

#177629 - 06/21/10 10:55 AM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: mrye4709]
postal2 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kennewick, Washington
I agree with mrye. Definately tell your doctor. Please let us know what they say.

Gail

Somedays, it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps

#177630 - 06/21/10 10:58 AM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: mrye4709]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

You know I just realized something. It is almost exactly 1 year to the day when this was happening before. Last summer the same thing happened. (Not the fluid part) but the really super bad headaches and they never figured out why. I was sort of tested for MS last summer and also had to go through two MRI's and an MRA. It was awful and then soon as winter came it was all a memory. Now almost to the day a year later it is happening again. I am scheduled to see a new neurologist on July 1st because of all the crap I went through with the old one, they were never able to help me ever. I probably will mention this fact about the 1 year thing. The fluid thing is just so odd.

#177634 - 06/21/10 11:30 AM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: Cosmololo]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I would not wait till July 1 to talk to a doctor about the fluid thing. The timing IS an interesting coincidence!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#177638 - 06/21/10 11:38 AM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: JenInCincy]
Cosmololo Offline
Registered Visitor

Hey Jen I did call their office a second ago and asked if they had a sooner appt. The lady went and put me on the cancellation list. She said had I been put on it initially I could have gotten in today at 1 pm!!!!!!!!! Too bad I didn't think to have them do that originally. :-( So hopefully someone will cancel in the next day or two and I can see the neuro. I don't think the rheumy is going to know what to say about them or whether they will have anything to do with my arthritis etc. but I am still probably going to mention it and how it correlates with the same time last year. I just don't want to confuse or mess things up getting this second opinion from this new rheumy.

#177643 - 06/21/10 12:23 PM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: Cosmololo]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi cosmo, when we have inflammation, fluid goes to the site of the inflammation. it could kind of swell the skin up if too much fluid accumulated between the skin and the skull. also, if it is forming at a tendon attachment point, i would vote for it likely being inflammation. so sorry for the ongoing pain and suffering. prayers to you, sequoia

#177650 - 06/21/10 01:15 PM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: ]
farbetter Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston, TX
I was thinking exactly what Sequoia just wrote. I'm not sure where you mean exactly by the back of the head, but my head-neck attachment area back there is an area where I sometimes feel pain and stiffness, almost like the area is swollen.

I still would definitely get it checked out, but my amateur guess is that it is inflammation and not something more worrisome.

I hope you feel better quick!

#177682 - 06/21/10 08:46 PM Re: Need Help On Head/Neck Pain- fluid feeling? [Re: farbetter]
canadianeh Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Canada
Have you tried lying on an ice pack to reduce the pain from the base of the skull? Do you have any abnormalities C1 C2 on MRI?

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved