UK
C
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor
cemc  Offline
Registered Visitor
C

UK
I've definitely heard that avoiding nightshades helps a lot of people with RA, but not for AS. Conversely using the NSD or LSD has a good chance of being useful for AS, but not for RA.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: Tacitus] #181014
08/01/10 04:22 AM
08/01/10 04:22 AM
N Z
N
north Offline
Registered Visitor
north  Offline
Registered Visitor
N

N Z
To bring a little clariy to this.

My own experience reflects what I have heard also elsewhere; that if you stop eating the Solanceae plant family foods, the arthritis [specifically in the fingers -Bouchards lumps? and the big thumb joint] the arthritis goes away.
It appears [to me] to be of bony changes and soft swelling. Someone I knew had joints as big as golf balls and amazingly it went after he stopped eating potatoes. It was short lived.
The most intense part of the swelling goes down in a couple of weeks and the rest in about 2-3 months.
Apart from a slight almost painless bump I have no more.

This shows up the mistake people often make with the starch free diet. They do it for a couple of weeks and pronounce it a flop, when in fact it takes more than three months [and a bad rebound reaction at that point]before the body gets rid of the poisonous 'residues'.
Except for when I make mistakes with the diet [and then suffer horribly!] I am pain free and supple.
I am inclined to think that a touch of Humira along with the diet to mop up those poisonous TNF excesses would be the best therapy for this type of AS.

North
PreAS = STARCHfree, yoghurt, ,, meat , vitE, niacinamide,B complex
CARNITINE, B6
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: north] #181130
08/03/10 04:00 AM
08/03/10 04:00 AM
New York
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
All the REAL research indicates early aggressive treatment prevents damage. So listen to your dr and try diet later. There is not a single diet that has been proven. The nightshade esp, is so old, the 1940's. You really think if it did help, that your dr would mention it? Same with the no starch.

there isn't a cure but there are some excellent treatment plans that slow and prevent damage.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: Banana] #182300
08/17/10 04:47 AM
08/17/10 04:47 AM
N Z
N
north Offline
Registered Visitor
north  Offline
Registered Visitor
N

N Z
Theres a whole world out there of quirky diseases and do not assume your doctor knows everyone of them. They will not talk of anything that has not been '''double blind tested''' or researched to the max. In USA especially they are excessively [litigation ]frightened.
The diet was a miracle treatment for me. However, I had fibromyalgia and too and theres everything to suggest that some of these cures [or even this type of AS itself might fall under a category of "metabolic diseases in the far future -------take a look..........http://www.mdausa.org/publications/Quest/q66metabolic2.html

http://www.mdausa.org/publications/Quest/q61coq10.html

Some of these genes have many variations and are known to accompany arthritic conditions.

North
PreAS = STARCHfree, yoghurt, ,, meat , vitE, niacinamide,B complex
CARNITINE, B6
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: north] #183337
08/30/10 01:00 PM
08/30/10 01:00 PM
New York
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
Oh yes, believe people on the internet before your doctor. Makes a lot of sense to me. NOT.

"Theres a whole world out there of quirky diseases and do not assume your doctor knows everyone of them."

Real research indicates early aggressive treatment prevents damage. Try diets that you admit don't work for everyone when you could be crippled? Please, if your hands/wrists become permanently damaged you will not be able to wipe your own behind. Think about that!!!!

Oh, I never heard of that loading dose, you do need to give it a month or two. When you said 4 doses I misread and thought you already took a months worth. So sorry, hope I didn't scare you.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: Banana] #183409
08/31/10 01:50 AM
08/31/10 01:50 AM
D
drizzit Offline
Registered Visitor
drizzit  Offline
Registered Visitor
D

Naomi

While you listen to both sides basically argue with each other and try to counter each other I will try to address your original question. This is a forum on alternative methods and not one pushing traditional meds at everyone I believe. I assume you have some interest in exploring this area.

I have not read anything about night shades and AS. I don't think there is a connection there. There is some evidence that Diet may help some patients with AS but the research is incomplete. The SAA site says that if you find a diet that helps you feel better than by all means follow it. That seems like good advice to me.

I do believe that Diet, in particular the no starch diet may help a subset of AS patients. There is no way to tell if you are in that group so you have to decide if it is worth a try. It is not easy. Just because someone says it did not help them basically mean nothing as to whether it will help you. I also think the same is true when someone says it helped them.

Interestingly enough the main doctor that has researched the Low Starch Diet intended it as a compliment to traditional meds and not a replacement. If you want to try then ask questions about how it works and give it a shot. I do not think you should ignore what your doctor is saying or his/her advice. Try it out to compliment that treatment plan. That is how it was originally intended anyway.

I use diet along with my rheumys advice and have no problem with how the can work together. watch out for the extremes on either side is my advice smile

my two cents.

Last edited by drizzit; 08/31/10 01:54 AM.
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: drizzit] #183974
09/06/10 01:54 AM
09/06/10 01:54 AM
Northeastern PA
S
Sandcut Offline
Registered Visitor
Sandcut  Offline
Registered Visitor
S

Northeastern PA
Very good post, drizzit. Advice worth considering.

As I've mentioned here previously, each of us needs to be our best advocate. What works for me may not work for you. Although many of the symptoms of AS, USpA, fibromayalgia, RA, etc. seem to be similar, they may all have a different genesis both collectively as well as in the individual.

Although Banana is right (to a degree) that you should place more credence in your Dr.'s opinion than in untested internet information, doctors are 1) only human, 2) deal largely in generalities based soley on large studies and 3) deal with you only for 10 or 15 minutes every 3 to 4 months. Take responsibility for yourself as best as you can to find the root cause of what ails you.

My rheumatologist had me on sulfasalizine for my USpA. I took it faithfully until I inadvertantly discovered that by not taking it, my pain subsided only to increase upon reintroducing the drug into my system. So I took myself off and the pain in my hands diminished with it. Haven't taken it since.

@ Banana. North's post upthread that stated the gradual elimination of "toxins" (or however it was stated) is not without merit. I've done exactly this over the past year and a half to two years and I've seen a tremendous amount of improvement. I started out by controlling my food intake to individual foods to watch for reaction. I then added individual food items one at a time. I kept those that posed no problems, eliminated those that hurt and eat those that cause minor problems sporadically. The process took a long time but, I can see drastic differences in how I perform now vs. two years ago. Two years ago I could barely tie my work boots on. Now I'm operating at about between 90-95% of my pre-flare self on most days.

As far as nightshades go (back on topic) by introducing foods gradually and testing, I've determined that, for me, I can eat an unlimited number of tomatoes, same w/ eggplant, peppers in moderation (red moreso than green) but, potatoes cause much pain.

Same goes for starches. I can eat an unlimited amount of white rice (long grain and jasmine) but, brown rice hurts. Similarly, I can eat small amounts of white flour products (e.g., bread/pizza) but, whole wheat hurts proportionately more. Whole grains, which I always ate before this all came about, are not part of my diet any longer.

The long and short of it is this, each of us is different. Use the different diet ideas as guidelines for experimentation and not as absolutes. Time and discipline may pay dividends. At worst, they will still put YOU in control of your future and your health.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." - Nordic proverb.
Re: Avoid Nightshade family? [Re: Naomi] #281516
09/27/18 09:36 AM
09/27/18 09:36 AM
P
pdiddy Offline
Registered Visitor
pdiddy  Offline
Registered Visitor
P

PS, look at this peeps....a fairly recent article on nightshades and athritus. May not be news to most of you of course.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321745.php

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan