Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#180784 - 07/28/10 11:36 AM Well Aleve isn't working anymore anyway !
Jdog Offline
Registered Visitor

After being told to take less Aleve, I haven't really listened and keep taking it anyway, just once a day instead of twice. I take it to sleep. Well all of a sudden I have not gotten through the last 3 nights without intense back pain. I can't take the lack of sleep. I pep up during the afternoon, get to work-out even, but the mornings are rough, I'm so tired.
In preperation for my late Sept visit with who I hope will be my nice, good, new rheumy what of the meds help the pain the most? I can take the stiffness, I just can't take the pain. Also can't take the foot pain, and now elbow pain that comes and goes.
Does MTX help pain? Or is humira the better option for the actual pain that keeps me up at night, or actual pain meds???

Sad that I don't trust that a doctor will answer this for me! I feel I need to know the answer myself first!
Thanks!

#180796 - 07/28/10 01:50 PM Re: Well Aleve isn't working anymore anyway ! [Re: Jdog]
TennisAce Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ
I just want to remind you that it may not totally be pain control. My daughter is on a daily regime that includes naproxyn in prescription.

The goal of NSAIDs are to use regularly to reduce inflammation and then it reduces pain. Since you lowered your dose some, it could be that the inflammation has creeped back up causing more pain.

I obviously not recommending takin something against docs wishes, just trying to explain why 1 may not work when 2 did.

#180799 - 07/28/10 03:04 PM Re: Well Aleve isn't working anymore anyway ! [Re: TennisAce]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
MTX is a DMARD (disease modifying anti rheumatic drug which helps with pain because it is attacking the disease. Humira is also a DMARD but in addition is a bioligcal medications.

NSAIDs like Alieve, do stop working and many of us have switched them around every 6 months to a year.

maybe you can get in earlier if you ask to be on a cancellation list

Anna

#180902 - 07/29/10 08:12 PM Re: Well Aleve isn't working anymore anyway ! [Re: Banana]
queenfan Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Tampa
If aleeve used to work and stopped, try advil. It does work differently. If you always used Aleeve brand, switch to a generic. For me, when Advil stopped working for cramps I switched Motrin, and although they're the same thing the Motrin worked for me.
Try eating more pineapple which is a natural anti-inflammatory. Health stores sell the enzyme, bromelain, separately if you want to take a pill. If the nsaids aren't out because of your stomach, a delicious way to help would be Stoli Dolis--Stoli vodka infused with pineapple slices. Enough of those and you don't care if you hurt! wink
Good luck with your rheumy! Mine just cancelled my August appt and is offering November. Grrr.

#181185 - 08/03/10 02:00 PM Re: Well Aleve isn't working anymore anyway ! [Re: queenfan]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Queen has some good suggestions. hahaha. Cherrys help me but you can easily eat too many--and they work like prunes.

Anna

#181200 - 08/03/10 04:36 PM Re: Well Aleve isn't working anymore anyway ! [Re: Banana]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
If twice a day worked and once a day does not, I would go back to twice a day. Before I was put on Humira, I was taking 4-6/day. They helped with the inflammation and pain for many years. Now that I am feeling so much better, I have been slowly cutting back. If I have any pain, I know where the bottle is.

Sometimes we just have to tell our doctors that "it works for me."
I hope you find the combination of meds that works for you.
Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved