Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#184987 - 09/17/10 02:08 PM what happens after your spine fuses together?
MrRoboto Offline
Registered Visitor

who here has their spine fused together? does it progressively get worse after or does the pain get plateau? are you paralyzed?

Edited by MrRoboto (09/17/10 03:59 PM)

#184992 - 09/17/10 02:37 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: MrRoboto]
Spenser23 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
Nothing happens. I'm not paralyzed, I just don't swivel or turn in the same way that people who aren't fused, swivel and turn.

A fused spine does not mean you can't walk, you just can't bend over and pick up a penny off the sidewalk. So instead, you get a reacher to pick up the penny, or ask someone to help you or get a broom and a long-handled dustpan ... or find one of a dozen of other ways ...

Fusing is not the end of the world. Like anything else, IF it happens, you adapt.

There's a lot more to life than being able to bend.

Spenser23

#184994 - 09/17/10 02:44 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: Spenser23]
lemontwist Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Willoughby,Ohio
Thank you for that reply! You just put a huge smile on my face knowing that it's not that bad.
metoprolol 100 mg daily,temazepam 60mg daily
Humira Bi-weekly

#184998 - 09/17/10 03:02 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: lemontwist]
serena70 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Portland, OR
"There's more to Life than being able to bend."

I like that one!

#185000 - 09/17/10 03:58 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: serena70]
MrRoboto Offline
Registered Visitor

does it plateau after it fuses or does it progress at its normal rate when you first got AS?

#185001 - 09/17/10 04:02 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: MrRoboto]
StarFire Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Carolina
My spine is fused. I can live with not bending over. I jsut wish the pain would stop.

#185008 - 09/17/10 05:07 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: MrRoboto]
Tacitus Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Palm Springs area, California
Arigato MrRoboto:

Sorry but fusion is not the end of pain. Most of my spine is fused and one fine day the fusion gave way to another joint (pseudarthrosis) and it made AS inflammation seem like a hangnail. That is excruciating pain impossible to describe in any polite terms.

Not everyone will break their backs when fused, but fusion is a nuisance, all the same.

Good Luck to You
John
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

#185019 - 09/17/10 08:49 PM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: Tacitus]
chefpam Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: usa
I just found out that I am fused from C2-7. I have trouble turning my neck to the left and can barely turn it to the right at all. I am scared to drive very far because of it. If I force my whole body I hurt worse the next day like I've strained everything in my neck. If I stand or sit on hard surfaces very long it hurts like crazy. Then sometimes it just hurts so bad I can't turn over in bed and it feels like I am being shocked. I was told that when one completely fuses the pain all goes away.

#185029 - 09/18/10 05:41 AM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: chefpam]
Banana Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Chefpam, there are mirrors you can get to see better in the car. I just drove a friends car with them and wow, you see better than a regular person.

As you can read here, Mr Roboto, you can to adapt. I only have bit of fusing, SI's- near ribs, and at my neck. But my hands, my hands frown.

#185048 - 09/18/10 07:57 AM Re: what happens after your spine fuses together? [Re: Banana]
Charlie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I'm 37 and have a long handled broom / pan set. I bend OK at the knees, but basically avoid it because it hurts!

No fusion yet as far as I'm aware, just heaps of pain.

You can adapt. You will be OK, promise!

37, Female, Psoriatic Spondylitis
www.charliefoulkes.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved