Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#186773 - 10/07/10 05:52 PM stabbing pain in butt cheek?
Audie Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi! I figure that this is common or hopefully related to my AS (and not some other thing to also worry about), but lately I've been having an extreme pain in my butt cheek. It feels like I'm sitting on a nail. It's not symmetrical, usually only one side...but it hurts the most when I'm sitting for long periods of time. Sometimes it hurts after only a few minutes. It's really frustrating.

I take ibuprofen or naproxin sometimes, but I don't take those regularly because of my stomach issues. Does anybody have any suggestions for ways to alleviate this pain?

I definitely wish it didn't happen, but I know if it's related to AS...it's likely here to stay, so I've got to find a way to deal with it.

Thanks!

#186778 - 10/07/10 06:48 PM Re: stabbing pain in butt cheek? [Re: Audie]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi audie, doesn't help much, but i used to shift cheeks as it were while sitting. still do. especially when in a confined space, thinking of church, and we get stuck in one position. i have always thought it was the si joints giving me grief. perhaps that is what happens to you too. although, it can be referred pain or even from the L-5 - S-1 junction on the spine.

the nsaids do help. are you on any other meds? dmards or anti-tnfs? might be good to ask the rheumy what might be up and how to address it. perhaps pt. my behind just burns sometimes, and i have to just keep shifting to help. sometimes nothing helps.

prayers and peace, s.

someone else will come along with what helped them...

#186785 - 10/07/10 07:20 PM Re: stabbing pain in butt cheek? [Re: ]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I get what I call the "icepick in the hip" feeling when I am walking and put my weight on my right leg. I get it the most when I am walking down my front steps. The stabbing pain comes out of the blue and usually will get better after I walk around for a while. I'm sure it is referred from my SI joint. My hip is fine, I'm sure.

I am thinking that heat or ice would help. Mine usually don't last long enough to find out.
Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved