Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186838 - 10/08/10 07:34 PM heart palpitations
Audie Offline
Registered Visitor

Anybody have heart palpitations? Are these known to be related to AS or related diseases?

#186850 - 10/08/10 08:19 PM Re: heart palpitations [Re: Audie]
jewelz Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wisconsin
I'm having problems with spiking HBP and tachycardia right now - the docs have not yet found what is causing it. The heart is healthy but something is causing my heart to freak out - they did say it could be autoimmune ...as in the autoimmune system is now attacking my autonomic nervous system. great.....

That's all I know so far.....

#186851 - 10/08/10 08:34 PM Re: heart palpitations [Re: jewelz]
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oklahoma
I have had tachacardia for years, used to pass out aat times. Now I feel it coming on and hve more control over it, but yestrday my heart flipped and flpped up against the inner ribcage. Felt like it was gonna bust through, then it went back to normal.......not sure if there is a connection or not......

#186856 - 10/08/10 11:17 PM Re: heart palpitations [Re: mrye4709]
LisaNR Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston, TX
palpitations are simply defined as a sensation of feeling your heart beat. Yes, very early in my disease I did have them frequently. They were not directly related to AS. But many of us do go through a period of denial, stress and anxiety initially that throws everything off kilter. It is also understandable. You have been told you have a chronic disease. I do not know where you are at in your disease.

I was diagnosed about a year ago. I went through the wringer the first year. Thought I was having a heart attack and dying. Had palpitations, trembling, the whole nine. Turned out I was stressed out with everything I was going through. I was having panic attacks and episodes of palpitations. The level of pain I was having was not helping me. I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. Eventually, after 6 months of being a full time patient, things have improved. I still have battles, but I am in control now. Not the other way around.

Pain can increase your Heart Rate and your BP. It can also increase palpitations. I ended up on a very mild and low dose BP med and now all is well. Some do not want to go there. Myself heart disease has killed many of my family members. We spondy's have an increased risk. I will take the med and prevent problems.

Undiff. Spondylitis, Possible Fibromyalgia, IBS, GERD,
Chronic Gastritis, Auto Immune Hashimoto's (Thyroid)
Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, Insulin Resistance
High Cholesterol, Gallbladder removed, Hidradinitis Suportiva
B-12 Deficient, Migraines, TMJ, Rhinitis, Vitamin D Deficient
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Spondy is stressful!)

#186861 - 10/09/10 07:28 AM Re: heart palpitations [Re: LisaNR]
Sundance Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SW Virginia
In the spring of 2009, right before my undiagnosed psoriatic arthritis flared up big-time, I had several weeks of nearly constant palpitations and extreme fatigue. I wasn't scared of the palpitations, as I have had them periodically for years and know they aren't an issue. But it really bothered me to have them nearly constantly, along with being too fatigued to do anything.

As they finally eased up, my fingers became very swollen and extremely painful and that started my year-long journey to my current diagnosis of probable psoriatic arthritis. I still think there is some kind of connection between the two issues, but none of my doctors think so.
Psoriatic spondylitis, became severe within 3 years; on disability. Single, age 57. Failed Humira, Remicade, and methotrexate. Can't take NSAIDS or opioid pain meds. Also have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues.

#186866 - 10/09/10 08:25 AM Re: heart palpitations [Re: Sundance]
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

Mine were real bad before the pain ever hit (started as a kid). When they came on I would be cold,but hot, sick to stomache and then pass out. It was so common it got to where it didn't bother me, scared a few other people tho, lol. When a dr finally did listen they did the 24 hr monitor and I was on beta blockers for a while. That didn't help so they just stopped them and never done anything else. I don't pass out anymore, but just the other day sitting on my bed my heart felt like it was "banging" on the inside of my ribcage. Hard to explain, but it was weird.

#186875 - 10/09/10 09:34 AM Re: heart palpitations [Re: mrye4709]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I have a friend that had atrial fibrillation and used to describe it as palpitations. Every time she went to the doc and got a tracing done it would be normal, until she had a really long attack and they finally got it on record. If you are having it happen frequently see if you can get a 24 hour or 48 hour tracing done. Its a monitor that gets strapped onto you for a day or two.

My personal experience is having called the doctor out on two occasions when my heart rate rapidly jumped (I counted it at over 140 beats per minute when normal for me is 60). Of course by the time the doctor got there it wasn't quite so high and he thought it was just a panic attack. I'm not so sure of that explanation as it really was just quite random when it started.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares

#186879 - 10/09/10 11:37 AM Re: heart palpitations [Re: cemc]
mrye4709 Offline
Registered Visitor

When my son was 15 he had what they called a "short ciruit", not sure what the medical term was now. They done a catheter ablation and told us he may have to have it repeated. So far he hasn't, but has had minor attacks. (almost 25 now) His monitor was alot smaller than mine was and we had to call a phone # and put it on the reciever to transmit it. Maybe your dr can send you to a cardiologist and get it checked out, there are so many different things that can cause it.

#186880 - 10/09/10 11:43 AM Re: heart palpitations [Re: mrye4709]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Don't know that it is necessarily related to spondylitis but as you've seen there can be lots of causes, some benign. For me, heart palpitations was one of the symptoms I had when I first started to have thyroid problems (hypothyroidism.)
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#186889 - 10/09/10 01:39 PM Re: heart palpitations [Re: JenInCincy]
LisaNR Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston, TX
I felt the same way cemc. Thought no way it was a pnic attack. Until one day my BP was 220/160 went to the ER. They gave me a drug for panic attack and it all went away.

Undiff. Spondylitis, Possible Fibromyalgia, IBS, GERD,
Chronic Gastritis, Auto Immune Hashimoto's (Thyroid)
Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, Insulin Resistance
High Cholesterol, Gallbladder removed, Hidradinitis Suportiva
B-12 Deficient, Migraines, TMJ, Rhinitis, Vitamin D Deficient
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Spondy is stressful!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved