Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#188705 - 11/03/10 07:30 PM bruising from scratching?
Roqufort Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
Over the last 2 - 3 weeks I have noticed quite a few rather large bruises on my legs. I figured I had just bumped something and was not paying attention. 2 weeks ago I did scrape my leg against some furniture and knew there would be a nasty bruise, It is still there and no where near healing.

Today I noticed 2 new bruises and noticed they are where I was scratching some yesterday. Not hard scratching, just a little itch. I have never had 5 bruises at once, and these are 2" - 5" long and 1 - 2" wide.

Anyone have any knowledge about this with meds or other conditions the cause? Or am I just being really clumsy?

thanks

1500 mg sulfazine
4 mg medrol
3 mg lunista
xyzal
once weekly humira

#188713 - 11/04/10 03:15 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: Roqufort]
Sundance Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SW Virginia
Hmmm...I wish I knew, Carrie. You could contact your pharmacist to ask if any of these meds include easy bruising as a side effect, or you might want to contact your doctor's office about it. I believe that's a possible issue with my mtx, but I don't know about your meds.
Psoriatic spondylitis, became severe within 3 years; on disability. Single, age 57. Failed Humira, Remicade, and methotrexate. Can't take NSAIDS or opioid pain meds. Also have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues.

#188724 - 11/04/10 06:34 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: Sundance]
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
Have you had a CBC done recently? Easy bruising can be a sign of anemia. I always run a little anemic and bruise very easily. If someone grabs my arm a little tight, I will have fingerprint bruises. I'm sure people think I'm abused or something cause I'm always bruised somewhere.

Blessings,
Nisey

#188726 - 11/04/10 06:59 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: nisey]
Roqufort Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
Yeah, I had one done 2 weeks ago, I think I will call my PCMs office and ask the nurse. the medrol can cause easy bruising, but not sure. meh

#188727 - 11/04/10 07:01 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: Roqufort]
sequoia
Unregistered

hi carrie, i vote with nisey, although i would go in to see the doc to show them, or at the very least take photos so you recall where they were. it is interesting that they itch. many things could be going on. don't think you are clumsy. check it out, please, and let us know. prayers and peace, s.

#188747 - 11/04/10 09:27 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: ]
Beth Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern CA
Hi Carrie! I have this too...I've noticed it since I started the Humira actually. I'm really light skinned so I've noticed I bruise a little easier for the last few years, but no where NEAR what I do now and I started noticing it right after the Humira started. I have several bruises on my legs from light bumps that I definitely wouldn't have had before (and they take forever to go away!). It's pretty strange - I have an appointment on Tuesday with my rheumy and I'm going to ask her about that. Let us know if you decide to call your doc and what they say! Sending big HUGS your way!

#188759 - 11/04/10 10:20 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: Beth]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I vote for the Medrol. Whenever I take any type of steroid, I notice that my skin gets thinner and I do tend to bruise more often.
Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#190015 - 11/20/10 08:07 PM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: avonldy]
motherof5 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Meridian, Idaho
I always have mysterious bruising on my lower body. I also bruise other places extremely easy. My bruising lasts for weeks. It's very confusing. I am not on any meds yet except an anti-depressant. I haven't officially been diagnosed, but I found it interesting that someone else had the unexplained and easy bruising. I'll have to watch and see if it's related to scratching. I also might check into the anemia. Interesting.

#190017 - 11/20/10 08:24 PM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: motherof5]
farbetter Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston, TX
I have it too. It's definitely worse when on steroids, or for me, even for several weeks after having steroid injections into joints. Bruises happen in the same place for me too - a lot on the lower legs, and from the most minor things.

I showed my rheumy who shrugged and said, "hmm. How about that!?!"

How's that for enlightening?

#190025 - 11/21/10 02:05 AM Re: bruising from scratching? [Re: Roqufort]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I bruise easily, including from scratching a bit hard. I can also come up with a kind of rash that looks like a combination of blood blisters and scratches from scratching. I have never been on steroids and not on biologics. I have been told my clotting time is borderline, and there was a suggestion of von willebrands some years ago that was never confirmed or ruled out. I'd sugest gettingyour gp to do clotting screens etc
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current meds: Codeine phosphate, occasional diazepam (Guts shredded by NSAIDs). Previously diclofenac worked well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved