Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#189041 - 11/09/10 04:39 PM Flank pain
riedesel88 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Iowa
Does anyone else have constant flank pain? I started with it on the right, then the left, then both sides. Today it's on the left. Doesn't seem to be UTI. I've had that before and don't have that urge to go. Just flank pain. Could be referred from back pain i guess?? Anyone else??
Married to Ryan (My rock and best friend!)

#189054 - 11/09/10 06:12 PM Re: Flank pain [Re: riedesel88]
LisaNR Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston, TX
yes, I do. I used to worry all the time about it. I know it is the AS. It seems the very bottom of my ribcage on the side is inflammed. Sometimes also the top of the hip. Either can cause flank pain. I have since gone to a urologist because I had a UTI an had ct scans and all. No problem with the kidneys. Rhuemy says she sees it from time to time. If you start pressing around on the bone in the area and it hurts to do so then it is the spondy!

Undiff. Spondylitis, Possible Fibromyalgia, IBS, GERD,
Chronic Gastritis, Auto Immune Hashimoto's (Thyroid)
Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, Insulin Resistance
High Cholesterol, Gallbladder removed, Hidradinitis Suportiva
B-12 Deficient, Migraines, TMJ, Rhinitis, Vitamin D Deficient
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Spondy is stressful!)

#189106 - 11/10/10 04:33 AM Re: Flank pain [Re: LisaNR]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
When you say "flank" do you mean "side?" Flank is considered lower outer back... and often related to kidneys as it sounds like you know. Another person posted about a new pain in his side and lots of folks had good input:

http://forums.spondylitis.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189000#Post189000
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#189111 - 11/10/10 05:50 AM Re: Flank pain [Re: JenInCincy]
riedesel88 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Iowa
By flank, yes i mean my back more toward my sides where kidneys would be. When i was younger i had some kidney infections and i know the area well. I've mentioned it to my rheumy and do not get much of a response. They do test my blood every 2 months being on methotrexate and all and so far everything must be good as they haven't told me different. It does come and go, but when i have it, boy do i have it. As some of previous posts might reveal, i'm getting a little frustrated with my rheumy and may go back to my family doc who i love, and ask him for advice...on everything! Thanks all!
Married to Ryan (My rock and best friend!)

#189131 - 11/10/10 07:28 AM Re: Flank pain [Re: riedesel88]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Definitely check back in with the family doc, sounds like a great resource you are fortunate to have!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#189137 - 11/10/10 08:58 AM Re: Flank pain [Re: JenInCincy]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
Yes, I get it. Never quite sure whether it is kidneys or just referred from either hip, iliac crest, or lower back. When I get this kind of pain the first thing I do is check my urine (sample in a jar, check for cloudiness or bad smell) and if it is at all suspicious then take a sample off to doctor as possible infection. In my case I do have to do intermittent self catheterisation to drain my bladder so the possibilities of bladder and kidney infection are always there. If its clear and doesn't smell bad, then I usually just decide it is referred pain from some bone or joint.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current meds: Codeine phosphate, occasional diazepam (Guts shredded by NSAIDs). Previously diclofenac worked well.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved