Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190130 - 11/22/10 03:33 PM What happens after your SI joints fuse?
bubbles Offline
Registered Visitor

I was diagnosed with AS maybe 6yrs ago. My SI joints are extremely narrowed but not fused. There are days I feel totally crippled and my lower back is sore, inflamed, and feels like it on fire. I was just wondering what happens when your SI joints get totally fused, and what it feels like. Thanks all!

#190137 - 11/22/10 04:30 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: bubbles]
taberge Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Sulphur,La. USA
Mine are fused. Fused SI joints does not mean crippled by a long shot. Some say that once fusing is complete that the pain subsides. I'm here to tell you that that is total BS. They hurt every day. Now the degree of pain depends on the meds.

#190138 - 11/22/10 04:35 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: taberge]
bubbles Offline
Registered Visitor

That's a disappointment. At least I thought on the up side that I might not have the pain there anymore.

#190140 - 11/22/10 04:57 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: bubbles]
Spenser23 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
And I'm here to say it's NOT BS. The pain in my lower back eased significantly once I was totally fused in the SI area.

I guess that just goes to show you that everyone is different and how we experience pain covers a wide range.

Spenser23

#190178 - 11/22/10 09:00 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: Spenser23]
ryamry Offline
First time visitor

Loc: Iowa
I am totally fused through my entire spine including the SI joints.
Yes, pain is still an everyday companion. Meds do control it to a point but it never goes away.

#190181 - 11/22/10 09:49 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: ryamry]
Rachel01 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New Hampshire
My neck is almost completely fused (I have one vertebrae that is not) and I no longer have chronic pain in my neck; however, once in a (grreat) while, I will have achiness for a day or so. My SI joints aren't fused yet, so I can't comment on that, but I hope this helps some. smile

#190209 - 11/23/10 09:26 AM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: Rachel01]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Pain comes from many sources... in people with (or without) fused SI joints, pain felt in that region could be coming from the SIJs or could be referred from other areas, such as the lumbar spine.

Unfortunately as we see from the responses here, the answer to the question, to quote a wise consultant, is, "it depends."
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#190226 - 11/23/10 01:10 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: JenInCincy]
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor

My SI joints are fused and honestly they don't bother me much. They do impact the range of motion in my hips, which can affect certain areas of life (use your imagination).

They get very sore if I stand for long periods of time (more than ten or fifteen minutes), though I can honestly walk for miles with no ill effects.

They also get sore if I do too much high-impact stuff. I do agility with one of my dogs, for instance, and if I run too much I pay for it for days after. However, we can hike several miles and I'm ok as long as I'm in shape for it.

I think everyone is different. If it makes you feel better, most people lose most of the range of motion in their SI joints naturally, as age stiffens them, so the SI joint alone is not a terrible loss. The fusing process can be very painful for some people, but honestly for myself it was not at all and I did not really have pain in the SI area. I would get referred stiffness in my abdomen, but that's about it.
43, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

#190227 - 11/23/10 01:31 PM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: Mary Beth]
Twynducky2 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Alabama, USA
The only thing I have right now is ridging on the right side of ny lowest two lumbar vertebrae. They are only about half way across so no fusion yet. But I only hope and pray that my meds work to keep the pain at bay...fusion or no fusion. I pray that for each of you too. smile

#190298 - 11/24/10 09:31 AM Re: What happens after your SI joints fuse? [Re: Twynducky2]
momjoyce Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: colorado springs Colorado
dumb question...what is an SI joint?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved