Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#195446 - 01/21/11 02:51 PM Blurry Vision
spondymomma Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi Guys....any one experience blurry vision. At night I've noticed over the last 3 months on and off, I cannot get my eyes to focus. crazy I'll just be reading or watching tv or doing something in the kitchen and all the sudden I realize I cannot focus...I rub and rub my eyes but it usually takes 30-40 minutes for it to clear up or sometimes lasts until I go to sleep and get up the next morning. No pain, no redness, no headache, just cannot focus....drives me nuts! Maybe I'm just getting old...going to be 37 in 2 months, but just wanted to see if any one else experiences this?

Many thanks for feedback smile

#195450 - 01/21/11 03:08 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: spondymomma]
Dade Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
Speaking as a 36 yr old, please Lord let it not be that you're "getting old" :-)

I think that sounds abnormal, have you made an eye appt to get it checked yet?

#195451 - 01/21/11 03:14 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: Dade]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
As a 38 year old with "computer glasses" (my eye doctor, a woman about my age, graciously avoided calling them "reading glasses"), I would say it could be normal... can you focus on anything at all when it happens? Close or far?

If it happened to me I'd get my eyes checked. Dunno that it is related to AS or anything.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#195455 - 01/21/11 03:52 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: JenInCincy]
spondymomma Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi ladies...happy Friday. Waiting to see the ophthalmologist now, but since everything else on me seems to be falling apart at one time I'm just dying to know if all this junk is related.

Jen: As far as to far or close...it's everything. Sort of feels like when you open your eyes under water...no pain, just way blurry. Only happens in the late evening though, but it happens most evenings now.

Dade...old at 36?!?!? That's the same attitude I had when the rheumatologist I just saw for the first time wednesday told me the pain in my hips was probably bursitis and my knees were probably damaged from wear and tear since I was getting older now! I was like OMG you are not making a great first impression here lady! I don't feel old and dang sure don't look it, so I already don't trust her thought process....for goodness sake that lady told me I probably have Lupus?!?! She was all over the map and totally disregarded me being HLAB27 pos and our family history of AS with fusion because my knees hurt so badly?!?!

#195460 - 01/21/11 04:48 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: spondymomma]
Sundance Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SW Virginia
Are you on any medications? I started experiencing major blurred vision that kept getting worse, and my eye doctors kept saying they couldn't see any cause for it. But they totally ignored all the medications I was on, including high doses of oral prednisone. I've finally started tapering down on the pred, and the blurriness is starting to decrease. It's one of the possible side effects for prednisone. I really hate doctors sometimes! They could have mentioned that possibility weeks ago. I was having a really miserable time with it.
Psoriatic spondylitis, became severe within 3 years; on disability. Single, age 57. Failed Humira, Remicade, and methotrexate. Can't take NSAIDS or opioid pain meds. Also have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues.

#195476 - 01/21/11 09:33 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: Sundance]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I was wearing bifocals by the time I was 41. I don't know why some of us are having eye changes at such young ages.
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#195479 - 01/21/11 09:48 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: avonldy]
Twynducky2 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Alabama, USA
I wear glasses and I can say at 36 that is a norm for me, especially if I feel tired. The blurry eyes thing has been a part of my life for many years. Not sure if it is related to AS or not though. I have been wearing glasses since junior high school and my eye doc says its eye strain on my part and always has been. It does seem to happen sooner in the day and last longer when I am in pain (maybe because I get tired easier during those times). At least know you aren't the only 36 year old out there who feels like they are falling apart way too early in life! smile

Blessings,
Sherre

#195493 - 01/22/11 06:12 AM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: Twynducky2]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I'm a good deal older than you (55) but I struggle with blurred vision that isn't really helped with glasses. It does seem worse when I am tired, or when I am very sore. It continually frustrates me that when I go get my eyes checked the optician says that my vision is fine! I do resort to over the counter reading glasses though now and it does make things a bit easier.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current meds: Codeine phosphate, occasional diazepam (Guts shredded by NSAIDs). Previously diclofenac worked well.

#195509 - 01/22/11 08:35 AM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: cemc]
spondymomma Offline
Registered Visitor

cemc...it is when I'm tired too I've noticed and it's been worse since the pain in my low back and hips started...maybe I'm just sick n' tired n' old!...LOL

sherre: LOL what the heck I thought your 30s were the new 20s!!

sundance...yep. been on and of prednisone...good tip!

over all seems like I'm getting tired and old...LMAO

#195540 - 01/22/11 05:41 PM Re: Blurry Vision [Re: spondymomma]
alexis98 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have been experiencing from time to time a bit of blurry vision. I am 40 years and I wear glasses. For some add reason I have been experiencing the blurry vision sometimes. I went to my ophtamalogist a few months ago, and he said I had dried eyes. He gave me eye drops and will put me on restasis on my next visit.I really don't know if the blurry vision is from dried eyes. I'm waiting for my next visit. Let us know how yours went and the outcome of it.

Good luck!! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved