Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#196963 - 02/06/11 08:04 AM NSAIDs and wisdom teeth extraction
TennisAce Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ
My daughter needs to have her imbedded wisdom teeth out right after finals at college. She needs to work the summer for money, so we need to do it in the beginning

We didn't get an appt set up over Christmasbreak, so what the nurse is suggesting they have done for other patients is a Monday appt for consult and insurance and a Friday extration. Fine, but she is on pretty max dose of NSAIDs. Do I have to worry about bleeding and discontinuing the NSAIDs? Anyone know?

Nurse didn't, and emailed the Rhumy.

#196964 - 02/06/11 08:21 AM Re: NSAIDs and wisdom teeth extraction [Re: TennisAce]
holydiver Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: FL
Hi TA!

What we do with our patients (surgical dentistry) is discontinue ASA one week prior. We usually leave the NSAIDS alone and warn the patients that they may seep a little more than one who doesn't take the NSAIDS. We also put our patients on a medrol 4 mg dosepack- if they want to pull her off the nsaids maybe she could start taking a medrol pack a day prior to her extractions? She should be fine either way... she has youth on her side!!!

Gwen

#196966 - 02/06/11 08:55 AM Re: NSAIDs and wisdom teeth extraction [Re: holydiver]
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor

If she is comfortable on her current medication and there is no contraindication then staying on her current pain medication will go a long way to help her recover comfortably IMO. Sometimes vicodin will also be prescribed and typically does well with dental pain.
Corneal Transplant DSAEK Right eye 2008. Failed 2013. Considering elective DSAEK transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Cured by RF ablation 2006.

Critical Care Emergency R.N. Alaska & California.

Grasp the challenge and succeed.

#196971 - 02/06/11 10:27 AM Re: NSAIDs and wisdom teeth extraction [Re: WhiteCell]
taberge Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Sulphur,La. USA
I had an implant surgically inserted to replace a lost tooth. I had strict instructions to discontinue the NSAID one week before having the procedure done.

#196977 - 02/06/11 12:16 PM Re: NSAIDs and wisdom teeth extraction [Re: taberge]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
She needs to ask the dentist who will be doing the extractions.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#196988 - 02/06/11 01:51 PM Re: NSAIDs and wisdom teeth extraction [Re: JenInCincy]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Yes, I was told to stop NSAIDS 7 days before extraction. NSAIDs cause bleeding which you want to prevent. If you want to do the Monday=Friday thing, stop the NSAIDS Sat just in case.

Anna

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved