Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199098 - 02/24/11 06:59 PM Battling nausea (Humira related)
CarrieMeredith Offline
Registered Visitor

Hello everyone, this is my first post! I've recently started Humira injections after being finally diagnosed with AS. Yesterday was injection #2, and I am having some major nausea, as I did for the first injection. I also have headaches and lack of appetite. I was wondering if any of you have also experienced this, and what do you do to ease your nausea (if anything)? Every time I think about food, the nausea gets worse, but I really need to eat something. I've been stuck in this purgatory for 24 hours. Any help would be appreciated!

#199099 - 02/24/11 07:07 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: CarrieMeredith]
ancient Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ill
Do you take methotrexate as well? That made me sick. I tried crackers to meals day vs night finally I went to the injection and that did the trick. Hope it passes for you! Humira worked great for me. Good luck and Welcome!
suffered since teenager multiple surgeries.IBS, Migraines, carpal and tarsal tunnel, TMJ, (failed Enbrel& Humira),Started Remicade sept. 2012,Methotrexate,Prednisone,Relafen, Amitriptylin,Gabapentin, Fioricet, Topamax,,Protonix,Amlodipine, Vit. D, Folic acid,

#199100 - 02/24/11 07:13 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: ancient]
CarrieMeredith Offline
Registered Visitor

No methotrexate yet, but I suspect it will be added at some point. Good to know I'll probably have more nausea to look forward to. wink

Thank you for the well wishes!

#199101 - 02/24/11 07:16 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: ancient]
cgw Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
My husband had the same problem with the biologics. His rheumy suggested he take Zantac and Zyrtec (you can get them OTC in generic now) beginning a couple of days before each injection. He would still have just a slight bit of nausea but was a vast improvement over how he felt before trying that little "trick." He is now on Cimzia (still does the Zantac but no antihistamine) and doesn't really seem to have much of a problem.

#199102 - 02/24/11 07:18 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: cgw]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I have never had any side effect from Humira other then feeling so much better.
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#199107 - 02/24/11 07:29 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: avonldy]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
I haven't taken Humira yet (2 weeks to go!) but I did have extreme nausea with my vitamin D/Calcium supplements. I found that some pepto bismol pills (not the chewables) helped calm things down for me, at least enough to not vomit and function on some level. That being said, let your doctor know you're having this side effect. I'm sure there are prescription strength drugs that can help.

#199109 - 02/24/11 07:51 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: iviary]
CarrieMeredith Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the posts, guys. I'm taking Nexium every day, I wonder if it would be even worse without it.

#199113 - 02/24/11 08:36 PM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: CarrieMeredith]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Don't assume that MTX will make you sick OR it surely will.

I use to get headaches the same day, sinus-and if you read the paperwork it says sinus issues are common. My "cure" won't help you though, I ate hot spicy food and used a netty pot to keep my sinus's dripping and no more problems. Plus even that went away after a couple injections.

Don't know what to tell you about nausea with Humira. I don't think that is common, can you try some tricks like eating first, drinking a lot of fluids day of.. If it gets worse, it might be a rare allergic reaction and tell your doctor or it might get better.
Anna

#199196 - 02/25/11 10:53 AM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: Banana]
outlier Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have the same thing. I been calling them migraines but they arenot really. I tried to blaim MTX but the combo of headaches and nasuse is more common with Humira.
I am taking Maxalt-MLT 5MG OD Tablets when i get headaches. it is migraine medication.

Current Meds: Humira, Asacol, Reglan, Dexilant, Tramadol, Maalox, and Xibrom (Bromfenac).
No more sulfasalazine and Iron

#199205 - 02/25/11 11:49 AM Re: Battling nausea (Humira related) [Re: outlier]
michelly Offline
Registered Visitor

I take Enbrel and I don't think it's given me that problem, but I'd have times with just no hunger or feel sick after eating. I find Zantac is a great help with the nausea, and ginger ale. Also, treat yourself.. think of something that appeals to you and eat that. I can usually always eat fresh cold fruit, and it's better than nothing. You will get through this soon, pamper yourself and it will get better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved