Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207278 - 05/07/11 03:58 PM SI/low back pain feels like back labor?
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Anybody who's gone through back labor... you know what I'm talking about! When my pain is worst, first couple hours in the morning, it sort of feels like a crushing pressure in my sacral area... it reminds me of the experience of back labor 11.5 years ago. A vivid memory! Does it feel reminiscent of this sort of pain to anyone else?

(For the uninitiated: "back labor" is when you are in labor and the baby is facing your front instead of your back; a sub-optimal position causing the baby's head to press hard against your spine/sacrum. Babies turned this way are born "sunny side up" or face up.)
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#207287 - 05/07/11 04:29 PM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: JenInCincy]
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
Yep, that's what it feels like to me. My son was finally born c-section but I went through about 48 hours of labor and most of it was in my back. Wound up that I couldn't have kids the regular way. Not enough room. They get down just so far and it is pushing on everything down there but I don't dialate. Not sure if this is "exactly" the same thing but I didn't have much pain in the front it was mostly in my SI area. Thankfully when I was in labor with my daughter they didn't make me "wait it out". They took her c-section after only 6 hours.

#207300 - 05/07/11 06:36 PM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: nisey]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Ugh, those are rough experiences, Nisey! I was fortunate to have a plenty big pelvis wink My first labor was a bit over 24 hours, but an induction.... second was faster and natural, so overall, better.

For me, the back labor was a constant hard dull achey pain .... different from the sharp squeezing contractions that at least had a pause in between!

I wonder if a lot of women feel SIJ pain/inflammation this way. It's not a metaphor I've ever encountered.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#207309 - 05/07/11 08:36 PM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: JenInCincy]
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Come to think of it Jen, my menstral pain has always been toward the back. My sister would always hold her stomach but I was always rubbing my back. This has gotten worse since my AS has gotten worse. I wonder if that was a mild AS symptom when I was younger. Hmm... So many weird things go along with this and no one seems to know for sure what symptoms are AS related and what ones aren't. Now I have adenomyosis so that makes it all even more pleasant. (rolls eyes) I keep asking for a hysterectomy but they won't do it. I am saying prayers that the Mirena they gave me works!

I'm not saying any of this as fact that it is AS related. Just speculating. I sometimes read through the symptoms that so many of us have in common but are not "on the books" as being AS related and think it would be interesting to find out for sure.

Blessings,
Nisey

#207315 - 05/07/11 09:47 PM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: nisey]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
Obviously I haven't had children yet so can't answer to that, but will add that my menstrual discomfort is both sacral/back and abdominal. The back pain with my cycle began when they put me on Yasmin to control my cycles when I was 16, and never stopped after I went off. It's basically the same sensation as my PsA/USpA back/sacral pain. Wonder if it's inflammatory as well?

#207335 - 05/08/11 09:15 AM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: iviary]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Low back ache with menstrual cramps etc. is pretty common. Uterine pain can refer to the sacral area. I don't think it's necessarily inflammatory unless it's caused by another condition such as endometriosis, which IS inflammatory. But yeah, Nisey, would be interesting to know if women without an inflammatory/auto-immune problem experience menstrual pain in back or just in front.

#207336 - 05/08/11 09:26 AM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: JenInCincy]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
Yes, well, that's one of a slew of things we haven't truly ruled out. :P Not to say that I think I have everything I don't think has been satisfactorily marked off the list, but sooomething is causing my menstrual/GI distress. Hope the new fancy shmancy gastrointerologist includes endometriosis in his differential diagnosis even if it isn't within his specialty exactly. That and the things that my GI ruled out with a flex sig when a colonoscopy is what's recommended... whee, I'll stop threadjacking for my rant.

Back to the back labor/sacral pain subject. :P

#207408 - 05/09/11 08:32 AM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: iviary]
Beth Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern CA
Yep, definitely feels like that to me too, Jen! I also have the same experience when my periods hit - it's more in the back than anything and then of course I flare terribly so my SI area feels exactly like that, like back labor! Really good description!

#207425 - 05/09/11 10:59 AM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: Beth]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for chiming in, Beth! I must admit, it really helps me when I come up with something new that I share with others here - symptom wise - since I don't have any "proof" of spondylitis other than my symptoms and their duration....

#207485 - 05/09/11 08:28 PM Re: SI/low back pain feels like back labor? [Re: JenInCincy]
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Yeah Jen, isn't it fun having all these weird, goofy symptoms that make other people go "What!"? I swear I have the most strange stuff going on with my body and the doctors look at me like I've got two heads!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved